Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:27 AM

595 posts, read 561,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
There's ignorance everywhere there are humans. It's the prime condition that rises out of narcissism. Which is endemic to this populated planet. SF isn't unique. Nor is it any particular liberal Mecca anymore.

But I will add this: if you want to experience ignorance that beats our coast, take a trip to the Bible Belt.
Everyone on the political extremes is pointing fingers at the other side. Liberals and conservatives are similar in ignorance levels

Conservatives actually seem to be more well informed.

http://www.people-press.org/2014/10/.../10-7-2014_02/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:38 AM

793 posts, read 1,345,281 times
I thought this thread was going to be about the Warriors.

Oh well. Just as well, I guess...

Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 AM

21,770 posts, read 16,410,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
Everyone on the political extremes is pointing fingers at the other side. Liberals and conservatives are similar in ignorance levels

Modest Partisan Differences in News Knowledge | Pew Research Center
Huh? I didn't point a partisan finger at anyone or even comment on conservative vs liberal. I generally ignore that infantile exercise. Nor did I comment on media habits as a definer of anything. I pointed out that there is a notable uptick in ignorance in the Bible Belt states (where science is given far less respect).

The survey you are linking, btw, is a very poor indicator of what the media has isolated out of it for the purpose of headline hawking. There is a range of context not included. And there is a bottomless well of arguable counterpoint from other surveys showing where partisan folks get their news and what kind of news and how they process information, how they deal with it in life, etc, ad infinitum ad nauseum. I suppose, now that you've open this can of worms, this is where the thread will unravel. Congratulations.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,997,359 times
Quote:

Modest Partisan Differences in News Knowledge | Pew Research Center
Lol---No they're not. Also, this whole thread is not about politics at all (it doesn't make any sense to begin with) yet you are bringing it up for some strange, and IGNORANT reason. Might be hard, but do try to ignore the "science" name of the magazine, we know how anti-science some people can be. The authors of these studies are neither Republican nor Democrat, btw.

Study: Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives? » American Scientist

Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ - CNN.com

Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,426,503 times
Quote:

They just think they are.

There are close minded extremists on both sides, which is one reason why my beliefs trend to the middle. I only learned about the close-minded liberal side of things when I moved to SF. Both extremes have a high annoyance factor.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 PM

774 posts, read 1,859,466 times
Default Interesting turn...

EVERYTHING is about Politics.

You can't escape politics .... and yes, POLITICS not only created the present atmosphere... but the very much alive, "Norman Conquest" does speak to how people are divided against each other for the befit of the Ruling Class (or aristocracy).

So... the lack of unions ... the conditioning for workers to be against each other... is leading to a very gloomy future. One in which the Koch Brothers plans to have medical doctors working for Thai Doctor wages. Have fun kids

Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 PM

774 posts, read 1,859,466 times
Default Omg...

.. and poor Baltimore ... "TrustInSal"...

Your words are embarrassing at best. "Duhh dude" ... you can leave your tap shoes back in B-Mo.
You don't have to Huck-a-buck out here.

But I'm responding to you because it's JUST this condition that fuels a lot of the undercurrent of rage.
Working Class Oppression.
Filipinos Vs. Chinese. Mexicans feeling they must look down on Blacks (while "incorporating" black culture). Women carrying resentment towards men. Generations divided around economics. Immigrants fighting for their dignity... against whom??

The meanness and bigotry can be just as hot at the bottom as at the top. (The board rooms.)

No one is "superior" to you. Take your butt out to City College and face your fears and actualize whatever dream you most desire. You spoke of Oakland. Oakland used to be the SHYT. It was "Everybody's Town."
What killed Oakland was both the City Council's bad decision not to dredge the ports so that bigger ships could enter (thus sending tons of industry up to Washington State) ... and the backroom "deals" of Co-Intel Pro. (They just weren't killing radicals back then.)

The link you posted about comedians coming through San Francisco is more PR than fact.
True they came ... but The City was a very different place than it is now. SF is still a very cool place and one filled with aware people ... it's just that I lived there in a time that will never be duplicated and a time that the present feels apostate to.
  • The Filmore the video speaks of doesn't exist anymore.
  • The live Jazz clubs that provided a creative atmosphere for Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor is GONE. LONG, LONG, LOOOONG gone.
  • The coolness of the Beat Poets ... gone.
  • The feeling of everyone living in each other's backyards ... so anyone could "drop-in" to a scene and add flavor to a party is goooooone. (I think some of y'all carry guns to parties now days??)

Those were aspects of culture that invited people IN.
Today's Yahoo and Twitter have closed doors and steely-eyed security guards.

Okay... so I'm crying a bit... ((chuckle)) ... but I'm also playing the role of "canary in the cave."
I think the mindless competition to be more human than the next poor schelp is what offends me.
It's so damn silly and stupid ... and so NOT the Bay Area.

We were cool ...
You guys?
Still cool .... but a LOT more conditioned. ((chuckle))

Last edited by veganwriter; 06-10-2015 at 09:15 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 01:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,861,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
.. and poor Baltimore ... "TrustInSal"...

Your words are embarrassing at best. "Duhh dude" ... you can leave your tap shoes back in B-Mo.
You don't have to Huck-a-buck out here.

But I'm responding to you because it's JUST this condition that fuels a lot of the undercurrent of rage.
Working Class Oppression.
Filipinos Vs. Chinese. Mexicans feeling they must look down on Blacks (while "incorporating" black culture). Women carrying resentment towards men. Generations divided around economics. Immigrants fighting for their dignity... against whom??

The meanness and bigotry can be just as hot at the bottom as at the top. (The board rooms.)

No one is "superior" to you. Take your butt out to City College and face your fears and actualize whatever dream you most desire. You spoke of Oakland. Oakland used to be the SHYT. It was "Everybody's Town."
What killed Oakland was both the City Council's bad decision not to dredge the ports so that bigger ships could enter (thus sending tons of industry up to Washington State) ... and the backroom "deals" of Co-Intel Pro. (They just weren't killing radicals back then.)

The link you posted about comedians coming through San Francisco is more PR than fact.
True they came ... but The City was a very different place than it is now. SF is still a very cool place and one filled with aware people ... it's just that I lived there in a time that will never be duplicated and a time that the present feels apostate to.
  • The Filmore the video speaks of doesn't exist anymore.
  • The live Jazz clubs that provided a creative atmosphere for Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor is GONE. LONG, LONG, LOOOONG gone.
  • The coolness of the Beat Poets ... gone.
  • The feeling of everyone living in each other's backyards ... so anyone could "drop-in" to a scene and add flavor to a party is goooooone. (I think some of y'all carry guns to parties now days??)

Those were aspects of culture that invited people IN.
Today's Yahoo and Twitter have closed doors and steely-eyed security guards.

Okay... so I'm crying a bit... ((chuckle)) ... but I'm also playing the role of "canary in the cave."
I think the mindless competition to be more human than the next poor schelp is what offends me.
It's so damn silly and stupid ... and so NOT the Bay Area.

We were cool ...
You guys?
Still cool .... but a LOT more conditioned. ((chuckle))
Thread is going all over the place, but suffice to say, the Summer of 67 was a blip in time. Cities change. If stagnation is what one seeks, there are plenty of wee little small towns adorably stuck in time scattered about our fine country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland