Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 02:17 AM

6 posts, read 8,681 times

Advertisements

I will be living alone and at my price point, my home searches have landed me on edges of Maxwell Park (ie closer to High Street, 55th Ave, Congress). Should I be concerned for my safety as a solo person living in this neighborhood? Especially if I’m not in the heart of Maxwell Park, just the periphery.

Also, how safe is waiting for express buses on McArthur? I’ll be commuting into SF.

(For context, I’ve never lived in Oakland before so all the crime mapping data is worrisome, so hoping to get some real-life feedback)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 12:10 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
Oakland has always been a little rough, and crime is on the uptick recently due to the "defund the police" movement and budgetary issues. In fact, Oakland Chinatown merchants recently hired armed private security guards because OPD is not getting the job done: https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/ar...y-15955636.php

Maxwell Park is not as bad as Deep East Oakland, but I would be wary. If you can afford it, consider living in Emeryville, Berkeley, Alameda, or San Leandro instead. If you must stay in Oakland, consider "safer" neighborhoods like Temescal, Rockridge, or Piedmont Avenue.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:24 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Oakland has always been a little rough, and crime is on the uptick recently due to the "defund the police" movement and budgetary issues. In fact, Oakland Chinatown merchants recently hired armed private security guards because OPD is not getting the job done: https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/ar...y-15955636.php

Maxwell Park is not as bad as Deep East Oakland, but I would be wary. If you can afford it, consider living in Emeryville, Berkeley, Alameda, or San Leandro instead. If you must stay in Oakland, consider "safer" neighborhoods like Temescal, Rockridge, or Piedmont Avenue.
Also: El Cerrito, Albany (both just north of Berkeley, slightly lower rents, are on the BART line), or try your luck in Walnut Creek (also on BART). In Albany, you can sometimes luck into someone's backyard cottage rental. I'm not sure of your price point, though, but give it a shot.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:29 AM

Yes, I’ve noticed the recent crime uptick in the city as well. Tough times right now. Thanks for the pointers on the other neighborhoods & cities. And appreciate the insight on Maxwell Park area. I believe they also hire private security to patrol, which is good crime prevention, but maybe also a sign of problems they’ve had in the past. Too bad cause the neighborhood seems nice.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:01 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amulah View Post
Yes, I’ve noticed the recent crime uptick in the city as well. Tough times right now. Thanks for the pointers on the other neighborhoods & cities. And appreciate the insight on Maxwell Park area. I believe they also hire private security to patrol, which is good crime prevention, but maybe also a sign of problems they’ve had in the past. Too bad cause the neighborhood seems nice.
Not hoping to scare you off, as the area is relatively nice, but it is bad-adjacent and in Oakland you are basically on your own for protection. At least neighborhoods like Rockridge have a buffer from the sketchiest 'hoods. The other cities we've all mentioned will have your back. Even here in Richmond, which is kinda grungy, RPD will show up if you call 911.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:36 AM

Yeah, I wish Rockridge was more affordable. Oh wow. Didn’t think about that. That is scary, definitely would not want to have to wonder if OPD will respond

Old 02-21-2021, 09:34 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
It's a problem but also in other cities...

The clinic was being looted in a nearby city and repeated 911 calls only to be told I was on my own.

Pre Covid Oakland was enjoying a long awaited rebirth of vitality to the point of destination dining...

If we only had a crystal ball for the future...

That said my sister in law's best friend bought in 2012 against conventional wisdom as a single...

She found ownership not to her liking but sold and realized enough to be debt free and fully fund her retirement...

She was in her 30's with lots of student loan debt...

Had she listened she would still have debt...

I live in Oakland and worked near High Street...

My first home was 90 and B... best single financial move in my life was becoming a home owner at 22... still own that home today.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amulah View Post
Yeah, I wish Rockridge was more affordable. Oh wow. Didn’t think about that. That is scary, definitely would not want to have to wonder if OPD will respond
I immediately thought of Rockridge for you, when you first posted, but didn't say anything, because I figured it was probably beyond. your budget. You'd love it, OP! Have you looked at Temescal, which is close to Rockridge, and also borders Piedmont Avenue on one side? It's known to be more affordable than Rockridge...

Old 02-21-2021, 12:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Prices continue to climb...

Buyers that can qualify for Maxwell may find 50 to 100% higher prices elsewhere too steep.

I'm seeing honest 40% increase over the last 2 to 3 years in many parts of Oakland... sobering to be sure.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Prices continue to climb...

Buyers that can qualify for Maxwell may find 50 to 100% higher prices elsewhere too steep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner;
I'm seeing honest 40% increase over the last 2 to 3 years in many parts of Oakland... sobering to be sure.
There was a period back around the late 90's/early 2000's, when the central East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland/Kensington) was going up 10% or more every 6 months. Or maybe it's normal for prices to take a big jump between winter listings, when the market used to be pretty dead, and spring/summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland