Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:28 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,124,869 times

Advertisements

Reading in the news this morning, I found an interesting story about a "No Tech Zone" somewhere in San Francisco. Funny because wouldn't the city have to first pass such a law which we would have heard about already and then there would be a penal code printed on the sign for verification?

Sign warns violators face hefty fine in San Francisco’s ‘No Tech Zone’ | KRON4.com

I'm wondering who put up the sign and why. Next they'll find someone on foot in the area collecting money from those he cites for not abiding by the sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 12:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Reading in the news this morning, I found an interesting story about a "No Tech Zone" somewhere in San Francisco. Funny because wouldn't the city have to first pass such a law which we would have heard about already and then there would be a penal code printed on the sign for verification?

Sign warns violators face hefty fine in San Francisco’s ‘No Tech Zone’ | KRON4.com

I'm wondering who put up the sign and why. Next they'll find someone on foot in the area collecting money from those he cites for not abiding by the sign.
It's most obviously a joke (or experiment).

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 09-22-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 02:10 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
More proof that ultra Liberals are just as intolerant as the ultra Conservatives they always preach against. The sad thing is they get away with it by the media.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
More proof that ultra Liberals are just as intolerant as the ultra Conservatives they always preach against. The sad thing is they get away with it by the media.
What are you talking about?

Old 09-22-2015, 02:28 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What are you talking about?
He's talking about SF dolts who rail on about how open-minded they are and how they're very giving, meanwhile they're trying to "evict Google" (according to the spraypainted sidewalks and other areas I pass in the city) and create a "tech-free" zone, because the "techros" are killing their neighborhood.

Seriously. The only reason this isn't a major media issue is because tech people aren't in a protected class.

Yeah, they have a stereotype of being aloof and not caring about the city they live in, but that's not really hate worthy...yet it has induced quite a bit of hate because the tech people have money, and the people who have been here awhile clearly can't afford the new rents.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:03 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,827 times
(the sign isn't real)

Old 09-22-2015, 03:03 PM

Well at this point we don't know who's behind the sign. Could be someone other than a liberal at this point.

But Yeah I know what he's getting at. Here's a prime example of what he's saying is going on in San Francisco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYAapAQ1urI

And BTW, if it was me in my car and I was suddenly surrounded by individuals on bikes with items being used as weapons, I would fear for my life and he'd be feeling every horse under the hood of my car in a matter of seconds.

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-22-2015 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 03:08 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Well at this point we don't know who's behind the sign. Could be someone other than a liberal at this point.

But Yeah I know what he's getting at. Here's a prime example of what he's saying is going on in San Francisco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYAapAQ1urI
Exactly

Old 09-22-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Exactly
Interesting thing is all these tough guys on bikes ganged up on some little chick who was driving the car. I'd love to see them try that in Oakland some night. Best case scenario, they'd come out of it stumbling around like injured wannabe Foster Farms chickens.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
He's talking about SF dolts who rail on about how open-minded they are and how they're very giving, meanwhile they're trying to "evict Google" (according to the spraypainted sidewalks and other areas I pass in the city) and create a "tech-free" zone, because the "techros" are killing their neighborhood.

Seriously. The only reason this isn't a major media issue is because tech people aren't in a protected class.

Yeah, they have a stereotype of being aloof and not caring about the city they live in, but that's not really hate worthy...yet it has induced quite a bit of hate because the tech people have money, and the people who have been here awhile clearly can't afford the new rents.
But it's a fake sign.

And how do you know it was a liberal that made it? I've met plenty of old conservative people that rail on about people staring at their phones. Just read the freaking SFGate comment sections, you'll undoubtedly read someone making a comment about liberals and tech at some point (and how they're the cause of all of our country's problems).

And spare me the sob story...I'm in tech, too. Yeah, it's annoying, but it's not like your life is being threatened. SF is changing, and changing fast...and it's a complicated mess. Some people are mad, and blaming whoever/whatever they can (which is a natural "human" thing to do).

It's (obviously) no one's fault directly (although there are many, complicated, interlinked reasons for the cost issues we're seeing today). Them being "liberal" or "conservative", or whatever...it doesn't matter. You'd see the same thing happen in any metro (and it's not like "conservative" areas are known for wide-spread acceptance!). It's just people lashing out.

This doesn't excuse the behavior...but it does explain it. And it's not necesarilly linked to political ideology - it's more a human nature thing in response to the (REALLY) rapid change.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 09-22-2015 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland