Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 10:50 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times

Advertisements

How is this happening? I was there today I my way down from Berkeley. You notice right away how many hipster looking dudes are riding their bikes all over West Oakland. How did this happen? Like how? They have a strong presence in the area. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I would have assumed that they would have all had their bikes stolen by now. Like the first wave of immigration should have gotten robbed, and this should have ceased this movement. How are these guys living in Oaklands possible worst neighborhood, walking around with iPhones and bikes worth hundreds of dollars, in a place where there is an open air drug market and addicts walking around? I was near the Mandella parkway the other night on my way to the King Market. I was looking for an atm to get cash for the bridge. I come across this market right across from the acorn projects. I got in and out it felt very sketchy. But these hipster kids with blue hair are just chillin outside the projects at 11pm lol. Common sense tells me that if you are some trust fund hipster hanging out outside of a liquor store across the street from the Acorn projects at 11pm, there is a very real threat of becoming a victim of a mugging. But these kids don't even look concerned, and their presence has been growing for years now in the neighborhood.

Last edited by BayAreaDave; 11-02-2015 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 11:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
West Oakland has been gentrifying for 10 years. Though everyone who lives or lived there that is white will tell you that they moved there when it was "dicey". Then they will preach how it was "people like them" that paved the way for others, blah blah.

It's all the same suburban millennial living in the city self righteous crap. Hipsterdom is so over.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:08 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Yeah, this isn't new. I moved to West Oakland in 2009 and lived there until 2013; it's only gotten whiter since. Aside from being seedy, my block/neighborhood wasn't bad at all. I minded my business and everyone else minded theirs and I had zero problems.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:50 AM

702 posts, read 953,994 times
The idea that every white person who rides a bicycle is a "trust fund kid" is so absurd. Bicycling is the cheapest form of transportation. Lock your bike with a U-lock and the only way to steal it is with an angle grinder...

Old 11-03-2015, 12:55 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
The idea that every white person who rides a bicycle is a "trust fund kid" is so absurd. Bicycling is the cheapest form of transportation. Lock your bike with a U-lock and the only way to steal it is with an angle grinder...
Most white people who live in the bay either have good jobs or live off their parents. Working class whites have long since moved to Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, and other lesser places.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Most white people who live in the bay either have good jobs or live off their parents. Working class whites have long since moved to Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, and other lesser places.
Oh okay, and most black people are criminals and welfare recipients, right?

Old 11-03-2015, 01:48 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times
Quote:
Oh okay, and most black people are criminals and welfare recipients, right?
Look, these guys are 25-30, with colored hair. These are trust fund hipsters im seeing in WO.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Look, these guys are 25-30, with colored hair. These are trust fund hipsters im seeing in WO.
... or they're a machinist, welder, woodworker, etc who works at the Crucible or American Steel.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:53 AM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
Quote:
The idea that every white person who rides a bicycle is a "trust fund kid" is so absurd. Bicycling is the cheapest form of transportation.
I concur.

Quote:
Lock your bike with a U-lock and the only way to steal it is with an angle grinder...
Not always true. Here in SF, a lot of the bike thieves break certain u-lock shackles in a matter of a couple of seconds using long steel bars (looks like construction site rebar) as levers, and sometimes the no parking sign poles. Normal-size shackle u-locks, such as the Kryptonite "Series ..." type, are the ones most often broken by the thieves.

So far, I haven't heard of any Fuggedaboudits nor OnGuard Brutes getting broken by leverage (they have the thicker shackles). I don't think they can break the thick, heavy chains either, but they could definitely cut them with an angle grinder.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:13 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Yes, there are more white people in WO. I was shocked when all I saw were white people on the street and hanging on the corners not too long ago on a ride though there. BTW, there are bike corridors through that area. It is the flattest way to get from Oakland to Berkeley. When I was dating someone in North Berk. I used those streets (I'm white). So, some of the whites on bikes don't necessarily live there. But yeah, many do now. Check out the plan for WO: Planning and Zoning ~ City of Oakland, California

Here's a music video about hipsters in the hood. Enjoy. NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LTLuzkqpZc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland