Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:15 AM

758 posts, read 551,482 times

Advertisements

Owner of Oakland hills estate throwing unpermitted weddings, neighbors furious - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 10:08 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Someone using their own house for their own purpose? Got to regulate that away, can't let people make decisions for themselves.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:51 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Nothing good comes from high volumes of various people transiting through someone else's neighborhoods. Try living next to a Motel 6 or something similar for a while and you may realize what I'm talking about.

I have a friend who owns an apartment complex and one of his tenants using AirBNB rented space by the foot in his one bedroom apartment which was small to begin with. We'd go in there every so often to fix stuff and there were like 15 guys in there, each had their own space the size of a rolled out sleeping bag. This went on for roughly 7 years. We talked with long term tenants who had lived there for over 20 years and they estimate there had been between 300 to 700 in total people who stayed in that apartment over the 7 years the primary renter had it. Three months ago the primary tenant moved out and the place was completely destroyed. The owner spent thousands upon thousands of dollars getting the apartment back up to standards. The entire bathroom floor had to be ripped out and replaced along with the sink, tub, toilet, etc. Even the pipes had to be replaced due to "stuff" being dumped down them. It was incredible. I never seen anything like it. Even the kitchen had to be completely redone. Absolutely nothing was salvageable. This wasn't average wear and tear. This was hard core destruction. Every week, the two very large recycle tubs were overflowing with empty bottles, jugs, alcohol containers. So much rubbish in the apartment it began to spill out into the main entryway of the building. The owner had to go over there cause the bathroom sink had a slow drain, when he put his knee on the floor, the carpet in the bathroom was completely saturated with pzzz. For this reason, I'll never support AirBNB.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Nothing good comes from high volumes of various people transiting through someone else's neighborhoods. Try living next to a Motel 6 or something similar for a while and you may realize what I'm talking about.

I have a friend who owns an apartment complex and one of his tenants using AirBNB rented space by the foot in his one bedroom apartment which was small to begin with. We'd go in there every so often to fix stuff and there were like 15 guys in there, each had their own space the size of a rolled out sleeping bag. This went on for roughly 7 years. We talked with long term tenants who had lived there for over 20 years and they estimate there had been between 300 to 700 in total people who stayed in that apartment over the 7 years the primary renter had it. Three months ago the primary tenant moved out and the place was completely destroyed. The owner spent thousands upon thousands of dollars getting the apartment back up to standards. The entire bathroom floor had to be ripped out and replaced along with the sink, tub, toilet, etc. Even the pipes had to be replaced due to "stuff" being dumped down them. It was incredible. I never seen anything like it. Even the kitchen had to be completely redone. Absolutely nothing was salvageable. This wasn't average wear and tear. This was hard core destruction. Every week, the two very large recycle tubs were overflowing with empty bottles, jugs, alcohol containers. So much rubbish in the apartment it began to spill out into the main entryway of the building. The owner had to go over there cause the bathroom sink had a slow drain, when he put his knee on the floor, the carpet in the bathroom was completely saturated with pzzz. For this reason, I'll never support AirBNB.
All of that stuff happens in non Airbnb rentals on a regular basis.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
All of that stuff happens in non Airbnb rentals on a regular basis.
Not in every neighborhood it doesn't. In reference to my friend who owns the complex, the only tenants to ever do the airBNB is the one I mentioned above. All the other tenants he has does not do this and their places are not completely destroyed like the one tenant that did airBNB was.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Not in every neighborhood it doesn't. In reference to my friend who owns the complex, the only tenants to ever do the airBNB is the one I mentioned above. All the other tenants he has does not do this and their places are not completely destroyed like the one tenant that did airBNB was.
Many tenants without Airbnb have destroyed units, it is not an issue with Airbnb, it is an issue with being a land lord.

If you want property taken care of, don't rent it out.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If you want property taken care of, don't rent it out.
Slumlords would agree with that.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:12 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,748 times
Quote:

And why couldn't that master tenant be evicted, despite such flaunting of the lease agreement? Oh, because of draconian SF rent laws. Which just got worse, thanks to Comrade Jane Kim. Which is what is pushing landlords away from the market and into AirBnB in the first place

Old 11-18-2015, 03:43 PM

And just because one cares for and maintains their own property doesn't mean that the batch of people coming and going next door because the neighbors do airBNB are going to respect your property as well. And when these airBNB travelers start bringing in dogs that crap on your lawn and don't clean it up.....

I can guarantee you that no one would be allowed to do airBNB in Diane "Frankenstein" Feinstein's neighborhood.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
And just because one cares for and maintains their own property doesn't mean that the batch of people coming and going next door because the neighbors do airBNB are going to respect your property as well. And when these airBNB travelers start bringing in dogs that crap on your lawn and don't clean it up.....

I can guarantee you that no one would be allowed to do airBNB in Diane "Frankenstein" Feinstein's neighborhood.
So now we should ban Airbnb because someone might walk over to your property off of the street and vandalize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland