Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times

Advertisements

Drive to Big Sur and then turn back and hit Gilroy on your way back to Yosemite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 09:58 AM

38 posts, read 41,172 times
Hearst Castle is a must, and that can take all day, so plan for that..

As others said, this is not something you wanna do unless it's summer. It's normally low 60's on the coast in the summer and with a convertible or a motorcycle, the coastline is awesome!!

It's even better NORTH of SF... :-)

Old 01-24-2016, 11:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Don't know if the OP is still around, but even if you got perfect traffic from SF to LA, without any stops, you're looking at 6 hours just driving down I-5, which is not scenic really at all.

So, I don't see you being able to have any kind of quality trip including any sight-seeing by traveling from SF to LA in one day.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:42 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
Hearst Castle is a must, and that can take all day, so plan for that..

As others said, this is not something you wanna do unless it's summer. It's normally low 60's on the coast in the summer and with a convertible or a motorcycle, the coastline is awesome!!

It's even better NORTH of SF... :-)
Summer is probably the worst time, unless you like driving through fog most of the way.

Spring and fall are the best, and most winters are actually quite nice. This winter might be rainy, but between storms can be really great. Winters are my favorite time at the coast. Consistently fog free, and the air feels crispiest.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:43 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyInvest View Post
Thank you for your helpful tips and the link. There really does look like there is a lot to do/see. Unfortunately, our time is limited and PCH is a secondary priority for us (Yosemite is first) so we would really like to fit as much as we can in 1 to 1.5 days tops. I will have to assess what we can fit into that amount of time and if it will be worth it to take some of our Yosemite time or perhaps just save PCH for another trip when we can allot more time.

Not that concerned about getting to LA in one day, rather being able to allot time for some sight seeing. Miata is a great car, anywhere I can rent one?
You can easily do it in one day, you will just be passing by alot of great stops and need to start early. The scenery will be worth it though. Take Highway one all the way, just stop for vistas along the way.

Head south, from SF, dont stop until you get to Monterey or Carmel for breakfast. Under 2 hours.
Continue south through Big Sur, stop at Pfeiffer Beach/falls, quick ten minute walk to the vista points under the highway/bathroom break. 1 hour including stop
Continue south slowly on highway one winding down the Pacific, plan on 2-4 stops for photos/views.
Pass Hearst Castle (you dont have time), stop in Cambria for a break and a pastry. 3 hours
Continue south through Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach to Santa Barbara have dinner at pier or on State Street. 2 hours plus dinner
After dinner continue south and enjoy the scenery on the coastal route to LA (2 more hours).

It will be a full day....

I'd definitely do a convertable. If you are from a warm area it will feel warm at times, cool at times and cold at times. Most likely morning fog, midday sun, chance of late day fog. (summer is the worst or best time of year for fog depending on if you like fog) It does add to the ambiance though.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:32 AM

38 posts, read 41,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Summer is probably the worst time, unless you like driving through fog most of the way.

Spring and fall are the best, and most winters are actually quite nice. This winter might be rainy, but between storms can be really great. Winters are my favorite time at the coast. Consistently fog free, and the air feels crispiest.
I've ridden my motorcycle up and down Hwy 1 in the summer when it's super hot inland.. Many years in a row for the last 5 years.. usually 2 or 3 times a year... Never had fog after 11 AM..

Old 01-25-2016, 09:38 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
I've ridden my motorcycle up and down Hwy 1 in the summer when it's super hot inland.. Many years in a row for the last 5 years.. usually 2 or 3 times a year... Never had fog after 11 AM..
I drive up and down highway 1 many times a year myself as well (it's my preferred way to go to LA, and I do lots of hiking in the Ventanna wilderness areas), and fog is very common in the summer months. Some days it burns off (like you say), some days it doesn't. Especially on the northern sections of the drive (which I do very frequently).

There's really no benefit to doing it in the summer as the temperatures are not really any different vs. the fall and spring - and you will rarely encounter fog in those other months. So to me it's a no brainer recommendation to try to skip this in the summer.

Then again, I actually like the fog (it's great for my photography), which is why I seek it out in the summer - I just thought I'd clarify this point, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland