Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:23 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Those are my exact thoughts. Unless he just wants to live in the Bay Area, why not move to another state where the COL is much lower?

If Ryan really does want to continue living in CA, then it seems like getting a job in Irvine, and buying a condo in, maybe Rancho Santa Margarita, would be a better option.

For example, these places are all $300K or less:
https://www.redfin.com/city/15422/CA...max-price=300k

Upping the budget to $300-$400K would make these RSM condos available:
https://www.redfin.com/city/15422/CA...max-price=400k

RSM has good schools, and the commute to Irvine would be quite reasonable.
If only this particular job was located someplace with lower COL I also may be in consideration for a position in the Denver area but unfortunately they have a much slower process. Where as IF things worked out in SF I am sure I will have an offer before I get a first interview for the position in Denver even though I applied for the one in Denver a month before SF. But I also have a friend at Denver job who assures me I am part of small group of candidates that are under consideration and I have his referral. All things being equal that may make more sense but do you turn down a great opportunity in expensive city for another that may not materialize? And of course, there probably will be other opportunities eventually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 PM

520 posts, read 611,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
If only this particular job was located someplace with lower COL I also may be in consideration for a position in the Denver area but unfortunately they have a much slower process. Where as IF things worked out in SF I am sure I will have an offer before I get a first interview for the position in Denver even though I applied for the one in Denver a month before SF. But I also have a friend at Denver job who assures me I am part of small group of candidates that are under consideration and I have his referral. All things being equal that may make more sense but do you turn down a great opportunity in expensive city for another that may not materialize? And of course, there probably will be other opportunities eventually
I think too many people on City-Data are negative about people who are considering moving to SF. Housing is expensive, no doubt. And you often have to be willing to live in an apartment or a small, older house. That's part of urban living, and something I would be okay with -- I think it would be fun for a kid to grow up in the city, especially the more family-friendly neighborhoods like the Richmond and the Sunset. But it is not for everyone. Assuming you are okay with this style of living, pencil out the budget with your new salary and housing costs (you can assume that other costs of living are roughly the same as LA, in my opinion) and see if you can make it work.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:55 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
I think too many people on City-Data are negative about people who are considering moving to SF. Housing is expensive, no doubt. And you often have to be willing to live in an apartment or a small, older house. That's part of urban living, and something I would be okay with -- I think it would be fun for a kid to grow up in the city, especially the more family-friendly neighborhoods like the Richmond and the Sunset. But it is not for everyone. Assuming you are okay with this style of living, pencil out the budget with your new salary and housing costs (you can assume that other costs of living are roughly the same as LA, in my opinion) and see if you can make it work.
Please do not confuse negative with realistic.

Many people on here offer REALISTIC advice.

The truth of the matter is that the SF area is not for people who are low income. The COL is too high. Telling them that it's all peaches and cream here for low-to-moderate income individuals, relative to the national average, would be doing these people a disservice.

This is not negative. It's the truth.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:

Well it sounds like the Denver job has you in the running. It just seems foolish considering how you feel about CA in general to go an even more expensive area.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
It's not being negative. The OP admits himself he has a disdain for CA in general and is always on the LA boards venting about the cost of living.

Quite frankly when I saw who started this thread I laughed. He has said he wants to leave CA before his son is school age many times.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well it sounds like the Denver job has you in the running. It just seems foolish considering how you feel about CA in general to go an even more expensive area.

Good luck.

It's not being negative. The OP admits himself he has a disdain for CA in general and is always on the LA boards venting about the cost of living.

Quite frankly when I saw who started this thread I laughed. He has said he wants to leave CA before his son is school age many times.
Yes to all points. I could still take the job in SF if it's offered and leave CA in five years or I could end up in a director level job there and be making a lot more. So it seems cost of living is really similar between LA and SF other than housing. So if my rent was $1000/mo more then I would need $92k to maintain so $120-150k may actually improve my savings. Plus their would be a relocation package that coukd potentially pay to get into an apartment there and cover first month and security. I will certainly let it play out even though I don't picture us staying in CA forever

But on the other hand I think the job in CO would be around $90k and include additional regular overtime that would push it closer to $100k. And houses can still be had for $300k in the suburban area that job is located in. I would prefer that option but for now I'll just hope I'm lucky enough to have those decisions to make

Old 02-06-2016, 02:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
I think you should go for the SF job and see how it plays out. If you're able to move up, the cost issue will be resolved. In any case, it's clear that you can afford a place in the Richmond or the Presidio (or Sunset), plus there will be virtually no commute costs, and you'll have plenty of time left over for the family. I think you'll love your new life. But.....that's just me.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:14 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
If you're already complaining about SoCal cost of living and terrible schools, then moving up here is not the answer, even with a salary bump.

Quote:
But we also don't care about all the advantages of bigger city areas so maybe not worth it.
Ding ding ding. If you're not going to take advantage of it, why deal with the hassle? You should really broaden your job search, since the other 3 cities you mention are also up there as far as COL is concerned. May I ask why you've ruled out Texas?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
If you're already complaining about SoCal cost of living and terrible schools, then moving up here is not the answer, even with a salary bump.

Ding ding ding. If you're not going to take advantage of it, why deal with the hassle? You should really broaden your job search, since the other 3 cities you mention are also up there as far as COL is concerned. May I ask why you've ruled out Texas?
Access to mountains. I'm a cyclists and we as a family are avid hiking/camping/outdoor people. That is how we spend our leisure time and we can't live someplace flat and boring. Northern California gives us a lot of driving distance vacation spots for wilderness as does Southern California. The only other places we'd consider are Colorado, Seattle area, Portland area. We would consider places like Idaho or Montana but job markets are non existing. Other issue is my specialized skills and therefore earning potential is tied to the media industry so that also limits jobs. LA, SF, Denver area, Seattle area, NYC and DC areas are where most of the highest paying jobs I can get are.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times
Quote:
Best to you, whatever decision you make. Life can be complicated.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:16 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,468,542 times
Atlanta has media (not only CNN but the weather channel) and a big cycling community. Mountains are 1+hour away. Tons of great outdoor stuff to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland