Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:43 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Poster RMESMH explains it well.
Thanks coolgato.

And thank you (and HereOnMars) for the rep points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:08 PM

263 posts, read 437,976 times
We can quibble over legalities & debate the moralities forever, but the bottom-line would be that
ownership had advantages over rentership, and someone renting/leasing real-property should never
get overly confident or complacent.

People that have the time to argue so much about her should certainly have the time & disposable funds to actually
HELP her find a new place.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:29 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
We can quibble over legalities & debate the moralities forever, but the bottom-line would be that
ownership had advantages over rentership, and someone renting/leasing real-property should never

People that have the time to argue so much about her should certainly have the time & disposable funds to actually
I wish I had the disposable income to help her find a place or, better yet, buy the place outright and let her live out her days there. I did try to help in the best way I could, though. How about you? Care to throw a couple bucks her way?

https://www.gofundme.com/mjqf7pjw?ut...campaign=upd_n

Old 03-03-2016, 10:40 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post

If you really think this thread = arguing then, IMO, you have an unusual view re what constitutes arguing. Marie may also have muted some sympathy that would normally have come her way by essentially calling Mr. Kantz a liar.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
That's not what I asked you. Do you know anything about her circumstances during her life? No, you don't. And $10,000 was a lot of money back then. Back then, women weren't even allowed to get their own checking account. How do you think she'd be able to get a home loan? Even if she were working (unlikely, but who knows), a receptionist's wage wouldn't cover it, unless she took in a renter.
Good point, my parents bought their first house in 1960. My father told me the bank asked if my mother was going to start having children and not continue to work. Can you imagine that now?

A single woman who was working wouldn't get approved for a home loan in those days.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Well she died today , figured something like this would stress someone in that condition to death. They said natural causes but I don't doubt this played some role in accelerating the inevitable.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:16 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
This woman lived there for 66 years, for part of the time at below-market rent. A cottage in Burlingame for $900 a month? Seriously? I couldn't have rented it for that 20 years ago.
This is what I'm thinking. My (below market) studio apartment costs more than $900 a month.

A modest $100 per month investment in a balanced mutual fund like Vanguard Wellington starting 50 years ago would now be worth almost $800,000 today.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:25 AM

If there is greed here, I think there are a lot of people who are parties to it:

--The landlord wants to make a fortune on the house.

--The woman who lived in a house for $900 a month. You have to be in complete denial to not know you're getting an incredible deal with rent that low. Not realistic to expect such things to last forever. As always, Murphy's Law always happens at the worst possible time.

--The NIMBYs on the Peninsula and Bay Area in general, who like to play the "Yes, of course we need to build new housing, but......". Once all the "buts" are taken into account, the amount of housing built falls far short of what's needed. It sure does benefit the home values of existing homeowners at the expense of people like this woman, though. Hmmmm.

It's easy to point the finger at other people's greed. Not so easy to look in the mirror and see one's own contribution to it, though.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 03-04-2016 at 12:53 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 12:32 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A modest $100 per month investment in a balanced mutual fund like Vanguard Wellington starting 50 years ago would now be worth almost $800,000 today.
Which is why everybody who was a working adult 50 years ago is worth at least $800,000 today.

Except not many are. Fact is the % who are is really really low. All stupid people?

Old 03-04-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Dang those entitled millennials...I mean silent generation members...
Actually, she would be the last of the GI Generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland