Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:52 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times

Advertisements

This is what I've been saying for a while and this article supports me. It is saying that we need more housing built in the Bay Area. DENSE HOUSING, not Single Family Homes.

Sorry, It's Not Tech Money Ruining San Francisco

I would support a ban on new single family homes in SF and SJ. As the existing SFHs slowly fall apart and are ready to be replaced with new buildings, the law should say that the new building has to house at least three families; three units arranged vertically in the same condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 12:08 AM

Check out the images of theoretical Google employee housing. That would help. Although, the real problem with the campuses is that they are not built near existing public transit. If Google wanted to put their campus in Mountain View, it should have been less than a mile from the light rail.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:08 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
This is what I've been saying for a while and this article supports me. It is saying that we need more housing built in the Bay Area. DENSE HOUSING, not Single Family Homes.

Sorry, It's Not Tech Money Ruining San Francisco

I would support a ban on new single family homes in SF and SJ. As the existing SFHs slowly fall apart and are ready to be replaced with new buildings, the law should say that the new building has to house at least three families; three units arranged vertically in the same condo.
I know I'll never sell my undense duplex with a real front and back yard when I inherit it. I don't want tacky condos ruining my neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I know I'll never sell my undense duplex with a real front and back yard when I inherit it. I don't want tacky condos ruining my neighborhood.
lol then don't complain about the cost of housing, dude. This is how you solve it. DENSITY.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
lol then don't complain about the cost of housing, dude. This is how you solve it. DENSITY.
Places like RWC and San Carlos don't need skyscrapers sticking up like a stick in mud. It's an eyesore. Build that high density housing in Oakland and the East Bay where there is no history.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Places like RWC and San Carlos don't need skyscrapers sticking up like a stick in mud. It's an eyesore.
Again, don't complain about the cost of housing, then.

I guess the Golden Gate is an eyesore. It's far larger.

Quote:
Build that high density housing in Oakland and the East Bay where there is no history.
Oakland has no history? Have you never heard of Jack London?

Old 03-30-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Again, don't complain about the cost of housing, then.

I guess the Golden Gate is an eyesore. It's far larger.

Oakland has no history? Have you never heard of Jack London?
The golden gate is a monument with history and doesn't take away from potential real estate that's actually pleasant to live in.

That's not very impressive. Sure there's a few victorians but Oakland has suffered from urban decay so long that it's reboot wouldn't hurt too much.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Places like RWC and San Carlos don't need skyscrapers sticking up like a stick in mud. It's an eyesore. Build that high density housing in Oakland and the East Bay where there is no history.
There is a wide spectrum of "dense." We should say denser. RWC doesn't need 20 story buildings. But 3-6 story multifamily buildings are not out of scale for the areas around transit stations. We can't only build single family homes and wonder why we have no space.

This is a great explanation.
Home Page - Missing Middle Housing

We need the "missing middle" and the mid-rise in all of our bigger towns and suburbs. I.e. like the Peninsula downtowns.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:14 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
We have mid-rise housing here in South Orange County, and I much prefer it to the monstrous high-rises of my former town, NYC.

Here, in Aliso Viejo (midway between LA and San Diego, and just next to Laguna Beach),you don't feel like you are in the middle of a concrete jungle, even though most residences are of the attached type, with primarily condos/townhouses/apartments and relatively few SFR's.

AV feels like a "mini-city," if that makes sense. It's only 7.47 sq mi with about 50,000 people. Traffic is heavy, but flowing, on the main arteries, and sparse in residential areas.

It helps, too, that we have a lot of parks; and the ocean is just minutes away. So, while we see our neighbors all the time, we also have a lot of opportunities to "commune with nature."

https://www.google.com/search?q=alis...JXB2UQ_AUICSgE

That being said, we are not an isolated community, and have plenty of tech, pharmaceutical and biomed firms here. There's a lot of creative energy in AV, and much of it is directed at business endeavors ("SoCal's Most Entrepreneurial City," per a MIT report). So, we are very far from being "Mayberry RFD," but we are an entrepreneurial hotspot.

This city used to be a bargain, but prices are now rising as they are in much of CA.

Since we have mid-rises, we are still able to enjoy things like a view of the mountains from our homes, or while walking or driving about the city. This opportunity is lost in many cities to the north of us since they have high rises.

This type of master plan doesn't work for everyone, since there are still many who want to live in large SFR's with a big yard. Obviously, that type tends to avoid mid-rise cities like AV.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-30-2016 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 11:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Build that high density housing in Oakland and the East Bay where there is no history.
You haven't spent much time in Oakland at all. Downtown has a bunch of awesome historical buildings. Many neighborhoods (like my own) have a mix of housing types landing from Victorians, to craftsman to mediterraneans to mid century mid-rises.

There are plenty of underutilized parking lots downtown that should get high rises. And blocks on Broadway north of downtown that are getting mid-rises, and other potential spaces that should get a similar treatment.

We should be filling in housing on empty lots, surface parking lots and other underutilized spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland