Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:15 PM

1,153 posts, read 632,862 times

Advertisements

Recently, I've traveled to Charlotte, North Carolina to visit some relatives and I noticed that a lot of natives in Charlotte were friendly but almost immediately seemed to pick up on the fact that I wasn't from the city or the South in general. For the most part, it was subliminal but there was one point where I ate at an A&W restaurant and the waitress literally told me "You're not from around here, are you?" when I ordered a specific dish. It was as though she knew I wasn't a native just from the choice of food.

In some instances in Charlotte, I did feel some type of subtle division between the native Charlotte residents and the newcomers(or "Yankees") who were moving in from northern states and buying up property in droves. I was having a conversation about this with a local from there at a bar and she was telling me that certain Charlotte residents were feeling that the "Southern roots" or "soul" was being lost in Charlotte and that it was "becoming a city of transplants."

Now, I've read articles about the tech boom phenomena in the Bay Area and I couldn't help but think that there were parallels between the two. Of course, the Bay Area has a completely different culture from the South but the whole "native vs transplant" tension seems to be common in both San Francisco and Southern cities.

What's your take? I know it's an odd comparison but people talk a lot about the disparities between the Bay Area and the South but I sort of view the Bay Area as a liberal version of the South in some instances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 11:17 PM

1,153 posts, read 632,862 times
why all the hate for "yankees"

Replace "yankees" with "techies" and "South" with "Bay Area" and, hopefully, you'll see where I'm coming from.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:40 PM

176 posts, read 256,128 times
No, I don't think it's the same thing here. LOTS of people here are from somewhere else, probably the majority. The dynamic here is more rich vs. poor. Poor people are upset that the "rich" techies are coming into poorer areas and driving up the rental and real estate prices, and driving out the long term, lower income people.

So, it's not so much about where these outsiders are coming from, but the fact that long time residents can no longer afford to stay in the area.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:53 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,483,775 times
Most of Atlanta is from "somewhere else." I know very few people who were actually born here.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,292,105 times
As someone who was born in North Carolina but who now lives in CA, the answer is "no".

Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston, etc have been facing an influx of "yankees" for decades. This isn't some new phenomenon that nobody was prepared for. While you do have some old timers who make derisive comments, the cities is NC have been growing and becoming more diverse for quite some time. You are comparing apples and oranges with the tech explosion in the Bay Area. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think rents have gone up 30-40% in a single year because of a steady stream of people who just happen to live above the Mason Dixon line. Rents in SF and Oakland are beyond outrageous right now and it's only been the last 3 or so years that they've gotten so crazy. What is happening in the Bay Area is absolutely insane and it's the product of decades of anti-growth/NIMBY politics that have now screwed the middle class.

I'm guessing the reason someone at a fast food place commented on you "not being around from here" is that you probably have a thick north eastern accent or you asked for something that you wouldn't typically find in the south.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:02 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,641,608 times
Despite being a state of mostly transplants & migrants, CA has a long history of despising transplants and migrants. If I remember correctly, i think the Native Born Californians as a % of the population, didn't even become the majority until the 30s. But that statistic might have been about just LA. Not 100% sure

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr...own1-2010apr01

From the Joads through the Chinese and Mexicans to the Techies, Californians opposed many newcomers. The attitude started changing in the 40s but there is clearly a lot of written records of the natives hating newcomers.

To be fair, though, that's a pretty standard human characteristic. We always try to find new ways to make ourselves feel superior to others. Whether it is religion, race, being native etc. we always find ways to feel superior to others if our overall lives are lacking.

I think it is hilarious when "locals" feel superior. Congratulations, you won the sperm lottery and were born in one of the most desirable place on earth, because your parents chose to live here. You literally did nothing. Yet, you feel superior to somebody who worked their butt off and go here on their own merit. Too funny

I am eagerly awaiting WizardofRadical's comments in this thread. Despite being fairly predictable, they are always a fun read and he loves this topic.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:27 AM

1,099 posts, read 903,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Congratulations, you won the sperm lottery and were born in one of the most desirable place on earth, because your parents chose to live here. You literally did nothing. Yet, you feel superior to somebody who worked their butt off and go here on their own merit. Too funny
Or perhaps we can add some other pompous comments like "you were born at the right time lottery"? I think it's more than apparent by your comment that it cuts both ways (especially the "you literally did nothing" comment...feel free to provide some proof of that..I can't imagine ever making that comment of people I don't know).

Whether or not it was the intention of the original poster, all this thread is going to do is start another silly war on here. It's kinda sad that all people can do is ***** and moan about others.

Have a great day.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Or perhaps we can add some other pompous comments like "you were born at the right time lottery"? I think it's more than apparent by your comment that it cuts both ways (especially the "you literally did nothing" comment...feel free to provide some proof of that..I can't imagine ever making that comment of people I don't know).

Whether or not it was the intention of the original poster, all this thread is going to do is start another silly war on here. It's kinda sad that all people can do is ***** and moan about others.

Have a great day.

What do you want me to provide proof about? That being born somewhere and raised through the age of 14 is completely out of your control and you did nothing to influence that? I think that's pretty obvious for 99.8% of people in developed countries. In general, people should feel proud of their own accomplishments, not those of their parents, whether that's wealth, location, hard work, war heroics etc. If you are using your parents' accomplishments, as a way to define yourself, that probably says something about your life.

My comment is based on my observations. This board is full of people who hate transplants and rags like the Chronicle run daily articles about how transplants are ruining California/Bay Area. Read the comments underneath the articles and you will see that this view is not held by some fringe minority.

Everywhere around the world, people are proud to say "born and raised". In many places, that means you were through some pretty rough stuff and experienced a lot. In CA, it means you were born in the most enchanted place on earth and lived through amazing times. Sorry, being born and raised in CA earns you no points with me.

Personally, I could care less where anybody is from. But if you act like where you are from makes you superior, then you should be prepared to be mocked.

Last edited by HappyinCali; 03-14-2016 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 11:50 AM

1,099 posts, read 903,352 times
I'd love to see you provide proof of your "you literally did nothing" comment (how would you know that?). I'm curious how you can make such a homogeneous statement of a whole group of people. That's a hell of a stereotype. If you don't think that's pompous, I don't know what to tell you. Again, I could never see myself making that comment of anyone...native or transplant.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
I'd love to see you provide proof of your "you literally did nothing" comment. I'm curious how you can make such a homogeneous statement of a whole group of people. That's a hell of a stereotype. If you don't think that's pompous, I don't know what to tell you. Again, I could never see myself making that comment of anyone...native or transplant.
Again, what do you want me to provide proof about? That being born somewhere and raised through the age of 14 is completely out of your control and you did nothing to influence that? I think that's pretty obvious for 99.8% of people in developed countries. In general, people should feel proud of their own accomplishments, not those of their parents, whether that's wealth, location, hard work, war heroics etc. If you are using your parents' accomplishments, as a way to define yourself, that probably says something about your life.

How about this, I want you to point me to a single example - just one single person - who chose where they were born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland