Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:01 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
There's a reason passenger rail died in the 1950s but hey I guess we didn't learn our lesson.
Yeah; the rubber and auto companies bought up the track lines (at least in the LA metro) and shut them down so that more people would drive and/or ride buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:07 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Yeah; the rubber and auto companies bought up the track lines (at least in the LA metro) and shut them down so that more people would drive and/or ride buses.
That's in LA, but I think he meant nationally. Nationally, passenger trains died because they were replaced by airplanes. Much higher speed, much greater maneuverability, and more competition.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:21 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Did it happen in a smoky back room with Harry James and Glenn Miller in the background conspiracy theorist?

Old 06-18-2016, 05:35 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Here is an example of what happens when higher speed rail comes: Can you really commute to London from Bristol or Wales? | Daily Mail Online. Although Los Banos, "the baths," will not get a station, no doubt some of its residents would drive to the nearest one. But the elements are there: more attainable housing, the means to commute to employment centers where housing is grossly overpriced.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:32 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Here is an example of what happens when higher speed rail comes: Can you really commute to London from Bristol or Wales? | Daily Mail Online. Although Los Banos, "the baths," will not get a station, no doubt some of its residents would drive to the nearest one. But the elements are there: more attainable housing, the means to commute to employment centers where housing is grossly overpriced.
Well, the other thing about British trains, though, is that they are not public transit. The UK re-privatized their rail service; they sold the rights to run passenger trains back to private companies. For example, Richard Branson's company, Virgin, runs some of the trains. So this is private investment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privat...f_British_Rail

Rail Privatisation in UK | Economics Help

Like I said, I thought HSR was a good idea in theory, I just didn't think the state would implement it well, and it seemed too expensive, so I voted no. Plus if you're going to invest in laying down new tracks -- as opposed to upgrading existing ones -- you probably should go with maglev, so you get a lot more speed out of it. I would have built an elevated maglev train all the way down the median of I-5. Have some kind of connecting point for the Bay Area and other places that are not along I-5 where you get off the train, walk underground or across a pedestrian bridge and meet another train that takes you into the local public transit system.

It is also good for people who think Silicon Valley and SF are too expensive to look at that article where they say London is also too expensive. That's what happens when you have a desirable area that's densely populated...the home prices go up.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It depends how much they charge per ticket and how often the trains run. My guess is the price will be too expensive for most commuters.
Even if it's over $100 a ticket that would still be a discount on housing moving from the Silicon Valley to Fresno or Merced. Also they might offer Annual Passes.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:48 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Even if it's over $100 a ticket that would still be a discount on housing moving from the Silicon Valley to Fresno or Merced. Also they might offer Annual Passes.
Many system charge more than twice that for much shorter distance. And under some conditions can be a pretax benefit. Don't know about annual passes. A bigger risk if you lose it.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:20 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Scratch Fresno. It's not close enough to the I-5. Substitute in Bakersfield.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:55 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
Will High Speed Rail Turn The Central Valley Into A Bay Area Bedroom Community? | Valley Public Radio

Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
It sure would be a lot cheaper to offer incentives to businesses to develope outside traditional areas than building a ridiculous train across the state that costs 20+ billion dollars and might be completed 30+ years from now and then run at a substantial budget deficit soaking up billions more tax dollars. But that would just make too much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland