Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:07 PM

1,099 posts, read 901,027 times

Advertisements

Dodge and deflect all you want. All you're doing is top posting by saying the exact same thing in a different thread. Again, you're not standing up for anyone and have very little credibility living rent free. As Ruth said, you're the man behind the curtain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 06:26 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post

Cultural diversity is way lower. Cultural institutions, e.g. museums, art, music, etc. are about 1% as interesting/vibrant as this Bay Area.
I always laugh when a Californian complains that (insert city name) is not culturally diverse. I don't think native Californians are aware that MOST PLACES are not culturally diverse.

San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York are the most culturally diverse cities in America and in the TOP 10 OF THE WORLD. So if you want to stay at the same level of cultural diversity, you have to stay right where you are in the Bay Area, or move ONLY to Los Angeles or New York.

Absolutely EVERY other place will be less diverse.

http://theculturetrip.com/north-amer...-in-the-world/

You wouldn't go on vacation to Europe or Asia and complain that the locale wasn't "culturally diverse" enough, so why is this considered a negative thing here?

Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Or maybe, and this is a stretch, I'm standing up for the little guy who's getting shafted by the big robber baron tech companies.
You're doing nothing of the sort. If you were, you'd start a successful business and give all your wealth away to those who need it. Those supposed "robber barons", much like the barons of old, are providing a product people want and paying good salaries. The suggestion that the robber barons somehow gained wealth on the backs of others speaks to your foolery... Do a tiny, and I mean a tiny bit of research on these guys and you'll realize how wrong you are. Vanderbilt amassed great fortune even though his competitor used government monopolies to attempt to drive him out of business.

But I wouldn't expect you to know any of that... I'm sure you'll focus on the terrible working conditions of 18th century factories. The alternative (starvation in many cases) would have been much better.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Dodge and deflect all you want. All you're doing is top posting by saying the exact same thing in a different thread. Again, you're not standing up for anyone and have very little credibility living rent free. As Ruth said, you're the man behind the curtain.
You are encouraging him. I believe it is called, "Feeding the troll." As am I by posting this so I am out!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 PM

1,099 posts, read 901,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
You are encouraging him. I believe it is called, "Feeding the troll." As am I by posting this so I am out!
Agree, but I figured it was about time to call him out on this, since clearly his violating of the rules of the forum is permitted.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:51 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Agree, but I figured it was about time to call him out on this, since clearly his violating of the rules of the forum is permitted.
You're going off topic, that's breaking the rules unless you have something to say about eureka being sf's equal

Old 06-28-2016, 09:57 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,242 times
Quote:
Or maybe, and this is a stretch, I'm standing up for the little guy who's getting shafted by the big robber baron tech companies.
Quote:
You're going off topic, that's breaking the rules unless you have something to say about eureka being sf's equal
You're post about standing up for the little guy was off topic...

Old 06-28-2016, 11:36 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,521 times
The premise of the thread was that Eureka has ALL the pros of the Bay Area without the con of high housing prices. I pointed out that it lacks a characteristic that is often cited as a significant pro for the area. Just because it is relatively rare doesn't mean it isn't important to many people. The premise of the thread wasn't to point out a place that has all the pros of the Bay Area - except the pros that aren't commonly found in average cities all over the country. That criteria would by definition be satisfied by almost any city, and wouldn't be very interesting to talk about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I always laugh when a Californian complains that (insert city name) is not culturally diverse. I don't think native Californians are aware that MOST PLACES are not culturally diverse.
I think most native Californians are aware of that. It's one of the reasons they continue to live in California's major metros, despite the absurd housing costs.

Quote:
San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York
Quote:
are the most culturally diverse cities in America and in the TOP 10 OF THE WORLD. So if you want to stay at the same level of cultural diversity, you have to stay right where you are in the Bay Area, or move ONLY to Los Angeles or New York.

Absolutely EVERY other place will be less diverse.
You could live in Toronto, London, Houston, etc.

Quote:
http://theculturetrip.com/north-amer...-in-the-world/

You wouldn't go on vacation to Europe or Asia and complain that the locale wasn't "culturally diverse" enough, so why is this considered a negative thing here?

Ever heard the phrase, "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there"? Going on vacation and living somewhere are two completely separate things, so I'm not sure why you're even bringing it up.

Aside from that, there are some pretty diverse cities in Europe and Asia.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Quote:

I think most native Californians are aware of that. It's one of the reasons they continue to live in California's major metros, despite the absurd housing costs.
If they were aware, they would know how rare it is and thus would not constantly bemoan how much less culturally diverse other places are. They seem to have an expectation that every place is supposed to be as culturally diverse.

Quote:

You could live in Toronto, London, Houston, etc.
The thread wasn't talking about moving out of the country, but instead finding a comparable place within the country. Also, Houston is not as diverse as San Francisco.

Quote:

Ever heard the phrase, "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there"? Going on vacation and living somewhere are two completely separate things, so I'm not sure why you're even bringing it up.
I'm bringing it up because I wonder just when cultural diversity became the measure of a "quality" place to live. There are lots of places in the world considered very high quality places to live that don't have as much cultural diversity. There are many other things that contribute to the quality of life.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:28 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,608 times
Quote:
What if I told you there was a city with nearly all the pros of SF without the cons? Yes I'm talking about the Eureka Metropolitan area. It's even got a college which means there are young innovative minds ready to mend the world. Get in before it's too late and people realize it has the same climate of the Bay Area, closeness to the ocean, but houses that only cost 200k.
What college in eureka compares to Stanford and Berkeley? These schools are ranked with Harvard ,Cambridge Oxford,u of Chicago ,etf Zurich etc. I don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland