Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:58 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times

Advertisements

Well, I just rode BART a few days ago. It wasn't loud, it wasn't dirty. I didn't see any vandalism. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about as far as loud and dirty. It was significantly quieter than CalTrain; no diesel noise, less track noise.

It did get loud briefly in the Transbay Tube, but not painfully loud, as people have claimed on here. It did get crowded for a while, standing room only. But people were still using cell phones.

Yeah, of course the prices went up since the 80s, it's called inflation! Although the staff is definitely overpaid. But that's another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 11:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Well, I just rode BART a few days ago. It wasn't loud, it wasn't dirty. I didn't see any vandalism.

It did get loud briefly in the Transbay Tube, but not painfully loud, as people have claimed on here. It did get crowded for a while, standing room only. But people were still using cell phones.

Yeah, of course the prices went up since the 80s, it's called inflation! Although the staff is definitely overpaid. But that's another thread.
One ride isn't enough. Loudness varies a lot based on the car you are in. Older cars are super loud. And super hot when crowded. You also rode on a late summer Friday, one of the slowest times of the year. Try a fall Tuesday.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. I used to commute to SF back in the 80's and could sleep on BART. I took a trip with a friend last month and couldn't even hold a conversation during some parts. The screeching metal sound was horrible and jolting! I have one more planned excursion to SF this month where BART is the only practical choice but after that I don't think I'll be going very often unless someone wants to drive me
The cars are louder... original cars from plushly upholstered with lots of carpet... soft surfaces mute sound.

Last time I rode I was thinking the same thing... at how nice the cars use to be and how clean Bart stations and cars were... every try to use a Bart elevator... most don't work!

More people in a crowded car also mutes train noise... try riding late at night in an empty car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland