Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 02:27 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
You can do all those things in 1 day. And then what? You're still paying 4000 to share a single bedroom
Not at all; you're exaggerating, as usual. For $3500 you can get a luxury, furnished apt. with maid service and a fabulous view of the Bay on Russian Hill.

Besides, it's winter; you're supposed to be hibernating. Lumber back to your cave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 07:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not at all; you're exaggerating, as usual. For $3500 you can get a luxury, furnished apt. with maid service and a fabulous view of the Bay on Russian Hill.

Besides, it's winter; you're supposed to be hibernating. Lumber back to your cave.
Yea, the only catch is you have to use your time machine to go back 10 years ago.

3500 is not getting you luxury in SF.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Yea, the only catch is you have to use your time machine to go back 10 years ago.

3500 is not getting you luxury in SF.
Yes, it is. I found that apt. in a whole building full of them for a foreign student who inquired here a couple of months ago.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:42 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL, sorry, but no.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:36 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,343,712 times
San Francisco is a beautiful city, but many of your comments are on the money.

You left out the sorry state of city politics too. It's just not somewhere that I would want to live anymore even if I could afford it, and truthfully, even visiting doesn't hold much appeal. Last time I was there, some of the Muni bus lines felt unsafe due to rowdy young people, and BART was packed w/ too many people.

Definitely agree w/ you on the weather! I was always cold there, and the winter storms were wet, cold, windy, and a big PITA. I'm in St Pete now, and this will get me beat up for sure here, but I find it a prettier city by far than S.F. No, we don't have the hills and great architecture, but the place has tons of trees for a city, and the bay and beaches are beautiful. The downtown is walkable and thriving, and it is much, much safer out here than the Bay area. We have our own weather problems too as it's stifling hot half of the year, but "winters" are glorious, and the city is free of the typical rabid boosterism you find in S.F. from Midwestern transplants that are just agog over something that doesn't look like Cleveland. Yeah, Florida largely sucks, but St Pete is great. There's us, and there's the rest of the state.

Last edited by smarino; 11-24-2016 at 02:54 AM..

Old 11-24-2016, 09:17 AM

520 posts, read 611,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

The downtown is walkable and thriving, and it is much, much safer out here than the Bay area.
I'm glad you're enjoying St. Pete, but the sources I've checked (including City Data's own information) say that St. Pete has a slightly higher crime rate than San Francisco, for both overall crime and violent crime:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...g-Florida.html

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Old 11-24-2016, 09:48 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
I'm glad you're enjoying St. Pete, but the sources I've checked (including City Data's own information) say that St. Pete has a slightly higher crime rate than San Francisco, for both overall crime and violent crime:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...g-Florida.html

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html
That's because getting mugged or robbed in SF isn't even a crime people bother reporting anymore.
Police haven't enforced criminal activity in SF for 10+ years now, and everyone has just grown dead to it.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:52 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
That's because getting mugged or robbed in SF isn't even a crime people bother reporting anymore.
Police haven't enforced criminal activity in SF for 10+ years now, and everyone has just grown dead to it.
Soon the criminals won't be able to afford to live there. It does solve the problem I suppose.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:43 PM

12 posts, read 21,957 times
European biting nails here to move to Bay Area... or Seattle... or LA... Anywhere, guys! Just remind yourself:

- You have fantastic vegetables there. Europe has none, and I've been to many places. There is Italy and France which are notable exceptions, but you won't go there every day there for veggies.

- Both SF and LA are beautiful. In SF—fantastic architecture, it's truly a gem. I think only Amsterdam can compete, although I've never been to London. LA is just so relaxed and calm. Yes, WeHo is more quiescent than many of Prague's residential neighborhoods.

- People. People look on each other, they smile! That was a real adjustment coming from Europe, right at the airport. A guy in SF just walked near me standing outside a Chinese restaurant, you know, a hole in the wall–but it was amazing!—and suggested I try their eggplants.

- And the food? SF and LA are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Europe, and this includes France and Italy. You guys have absolutely the best food on this planet. Oh that Sol Food... Oh the corn dogs in Berkeley! Oh... Well, maybe Cyprus can compete with their sheftalia and Turkey with their meatballs.

You guys are super lucky there. Both SF and LA are fantastic.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:41 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhaz View Post
European biting nails here to move to Bay Area... or Seattle... or LA... Anywhere, guys! Just remind yourself:

- You have fantastic vegetables there. Europe has none, and I've been to many places. There is Italy and France which are notable exceptions, but you won't go there every day there for veggies.

- Both SF and LA are beautiful. In SF—fantastic architecture, it's truly a gem. I think only Amsterdam can compete, although I've never been to London. LA is just so relaxed and calm. Yes, WeHo is more quiescent than many of Prague's residential neighborhoods.

- People. People look on each other, they smile! That was a real adjustment coming from Europe, right at the airport. A guy in SF just walked near me standing outside a Chinese restaurant, you know, a hole in the wall–but it was amazing!—and suggested I try their eggplants.

- And the food? SF and LA are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Europe, and this includes France and Italy. You guys have absolutely the best food on this planet. Oh that Sol Food... Oh the corn dogs in Berkeley! Oh... Well, maybe Cyprus can compete with their sheftalia and Turkey with their meatballs.

You guys are super lucky there. Both SF and LA are fantastic.
Did you just say LA is relaxed.....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland