Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times

Advertisements

I lived in Woodside as a kid in the late 60s...from age 2-7...I vaguely remember a casual restaurant in Redwood City that, among other things, served hamburgers or sloppy joe-like sandwiches with an obviously very steamed smooth plain bun - so steamed the bun was almost wet....really good....

sorry for the vague directions, but I think it was to the "right" a couple blocks coming from Woodside on Woodside Rd. pretty close to, or right in, downtown Redwood City....probably a local non-chain place

just doing a bit of childhood reminiscing...I hope an old-timer might know which place I'm talking about

OK - easier question: we also shopped in the late 60s at a Lucky in Redwood City that was on the "left" coming from Woodside on Woodside Rd., I'm pretty sure....does anybody know what this is now?...torn down?...new name?....

might think of more later....thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 PM

thought of another place....

Dad took us to an A and W in Redwood City that was on the "right" side of Woodside Rd., I think, coming from Woodside.....regular joint in town.....

again, this was in the late 60s.....

still there?...torn down?.....what?....

thanks again.....

is the Pulgas Water Temple still there as it was years ago?.....

Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
I know there is a Safeway on Woodside Road on the north side at Massachusetts, but I usually did my grocery shopping at Key Market when I was living in High School Acres.. the one on Upton Road. Maybe that rings a bell. They also have a store on Marsh Rd.

I think the nearest A&W to there is in Millbrae.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
The old A&W is now a Tacos El Gruellence (SP?) I think the Lucky's is a Food For Less and has a chain drug store there.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
OK - easier question: we also shopped in the late 60s at a Lucky in Redwood City that was on the "left" coming from Woodside on Woodside Rd., I'm pretty sure....does anybody know what this is now?...torn down?...new name?....
There is still a Lucky store (was Albertsons for a while) on Woodside Rd. in a shopping center. It's on the left side driving from Woodside towards RWC.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM

so the old A&W is definitely the taco place now??....no other A&Ws were in the area?.....

seems to be disagreement on the old Lucky: Food4Less or still a Lucky????.....I remember, at least as a small kid, the old Lucky seemed to be set back a ways from Woodside Rd., if that helps.....

thanks for any help.....

Pulgas Water Temple still around??......I remember when I was a kid, 280 was being built, and Canada Rd went right by the water temple....I was there four or five years ago and saw how 280 affected access to Canada Rd N of Woodside.....in the old days, if you wanted to get to SFO from Woodside, you either drove Canada Rd way up to the Hillsborough area and went down the hill...or drove way over to 101 and up.....

thanks again

Old 04-01-2009, 05:37 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Quote:
so the old A&W is definitely the taco place now??....no other A&Ws were in the area?.....

seems to be disagreement on the old Lucky: Food4Less or still a Lucky????.....I remember, at least as a small kid, the old Lucky seemed to be set back a ways from Woodside Rd., if that helps.....

thanks for any help.....

Pulgas Water Temple still around??......I remember when I was a kid, 280 was being built, and Canada Rd went right by the water temple....I was there four or five years ago and saw how 280 affected access to Canada Rd N of Woodside.....in the old days, if you wanted to get to SFO from Woodside, you either drove Canada Rd way up to the Hillsborough area and went down the hill...or drove way over to 101 and up.....

thanks again
Don't see many A&Ws anymore (certainly no drive-ins where the food was brought to your car). I have seen combined A&W/KFC places, but not very often.

The Lucky on Woodside Rd. is set back aways from the road and is part of a small shopping center. It's always been a Lucky store, although it was called Albertsons for a couple of years and is now Lucky again (Albertsons bought Lucky and then sold it off after 15 years or so.)

The Pulgas water temple is still there along Canada Rd.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:22 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
The closest A&W I remember to RWC, back in the 80's at least, was the San Mateo one on El Camino. Its a Taxi's now and has been for I'd say about 17 or 18 years. Dunno if there were any other RWC ones.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:43 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
The closest A&W I remember to RWC, back in the 80's at least, was the San Mateo one on El Camino. Its a Taxi's now and has been for I'd say about 17 or 18 years. Dunno if there were any other RWC ones.
The closest one now is the KFC/A&W one in Millbrae on El Camino. Next one after that is in Fremont on Auto Mall Pkwy I believe.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:00 PM

hey all...resurrecting my old thread here in preparation for another Bay Area visit......

as you can see above, there may've been some uncertainty on the location of an old A and W on Woodside Rd in RWC...I remember going to one as a kid in the late 60s that was almost certainly on the SE side of Woodside Rd (on the right headed from Woodside to RWC), possibly just SW of downtown RWC.....does this ring a bell with any old-timers?.....I looked up Tacos El Grullence (suggested above) and it seems to be on the wrong side of Woodside Rd, from what I remember.....

it appears the Lucky I remember from my childhood is still a Lucky in Woodside Plaza, right?....does anybody remember a barber shop in the same shopping center, perhaps to the "left" of the Lucky?.....

and, veeerrry long shot, I remember a casual restaurant in downtown RWC, to the "right" (SE) of Woodside Rd, maybe a couple blocks from Woodside Rd, that had very steamed/moist buns for their sandwiches.....perhaps just a single-time incident deep in my memory, but wondering if that was a trademark and, if so, if anybody knows/remembers the place.....

and do they still do fireworks at Whipple Ave on Fourth of July?.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland