Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:29 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
East bay fans are the worst fair weather fans. Kind of hard for a sports team to do well in that market.

Look at the A's, they are a national disgrace. You need an army of blow up dolls to fill the stands, because everyone is trying to take BART to the Giants game.
Well support is a two way street. You have to ask if the owners have shown the same loyalty and commitment to the city as well.

The Raiders used to sell out all the time before they moved to LA in 1981.

As for the A's - Lew Wolff has shown his true colors and intentions all the time with his disinclination to invest in the team - force fire sales of the players constantly, trash the city and look to move to SJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:52 PM

882 posts, read 688,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well support is a two way street. You have to ask if the owners have shown the same loyalty and commitment to the city as well.

The Raiders used to sell out all the time before they moved to LA in 1981.

As for the A's - Lew Wolff has shown his true colors and intentions all the time with his disinclination to invest in the team - force fire sales of the players constantly, trash the city and look to move to SJ.
I call complete BS on the A's comment. That team had incredible runs in the playoffs and the World Series, and still were not supported by the community. Billy Beane showed that he could get a quality team on the field at discount prices. Yet despite his brilliance, and the success he had in putting an excellent team on the field, it was always very easy to get playoff tickets for the A's. That team was clearly not supported. Since 1993 they have only exceeded the American League average in attendence once, yet during that time they were in the playoffs 9 times. I'd give the middle finger to the fans also if I was ownership.

Last edited by Independentthinking; 03-29-2017 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 05:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
I call complete BS on the A's comment. That team had incredible runs in the playoffs and the World Series, and still were not supported by the community. Billy Beane showed that he could get a quality team on the field at discount prices. Yet despite his brilliance, and the success he had in putting an excellent team on the field, it was always very easy to get playoff tickets for the A's. That team was clearly not supported. Since 1993 they have only exceeded the American League average in attendence once, yet during that time they were in the playoffs 9 times. I'd give the middle finger to the fans also if I was ownership.
What are you talking about? Did you live here in the late 80's and early 90's? The A's had a ton of support. The Coliseum used to be packed then and the Giants had one foot out the door to Tampa. It's was a much different team and atmosphere when the Haas family owned it. Wolff totally alienated fans and literally insulted them. Also the Coliseum has been an outdated, decrepit stadium for a long time now too. Stupid a** Raiders ruined that place.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What are you talking about? Did you live here in the late 80's and early 90's? The A's had a ton of support. The Coliseum used to be packed then and the Giants had one foot out the door to Tampa. It's was a much different team and atmosphere when the Haas family owned it. Wolff totally alienated fans and literally insulted them. Also the Coliseum has been an outdated, decrepit stadium for a long time now too. Stupid a** Raiders ruined that place.
Nice dodge and deflect (in addition to your other excuses). Let me know when you want to address my comment.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Nice dodge and deflect (in addition to your other excuses). Let me know when you want to address my comment.
I did address your comment about community support. What exactly did I not address? You clearly didn't live here when the Haas family owned the team did you?

Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I did address your comment about community support. What exactly did I not address? You clearly didn't live here when the Haas family owned the team did you?
You dodged the fact that in 24 years they only exceeded the league average one time, despite being one of the elite teams in the American League for at least 9 of those years (and they weren't exactly in last place on many of the other years).

You stupidly assume I didn't live in this area when the Hass family was in charge despite the fact that I've live in the Bay Area since 1966.

For those of you that care about facts, here are the A's attendance by year during all the years Sav is talking about that everyone should be so impressed by. Sorry, I'm not the least bit impressed by their attendance numbers.

Oakland Athletics Attendance Records (1901 - 2015) by Baseball Almanac

Note they were in the World Series in 1972-1974 (see attendance numbers for those years). Hard to imagine in 3 years where they were in the World Series having a per game average of 11,888, 12,355, and 10,441. So impressive!

Last edited by Independentthinking; 03-29-2017 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
You dodged the fact that in 24 years they only exceeded the league average one time, despite being one of the elite teams in the American League for at least 9 of those years (and they weren't exactly in last place on many of the other years).

You stupidly assume I didn't live in this area when the Hass family was in charge despite the fact that I've live in the Bay Area since 1966.

For those of you that care about facts, here are the A's attendance by year during all the years Sav is talking about that everyone should be so impressed by. Sorry, I'm not the least bit impressed by their attendance numbers.

Oakland Athletics Attendance Records (1901 - 2015) by Baseball Almanac

Note they were in the World Series in 1972-1974 (see attendance numbers for those years). So impressive!
They still had decent attendance some of those years, but yeah I'm aware they weren't tops in the league so not sure what exactly I was supposed to address. Wolff has really pissed off a lot of fans over the last 10 years and I think that has affected attendance even in playoff years. Just because a team isn't leading in attendance doesn't mean it doesn't have community support, especially for a team that splits a market.

If you did I'm not sure how you could claim the community hasn't supported them.

They were in the top attendance several of those years I mentioned for the AL. Just because someone like you isn't the "least bit impressed" doesn't really mean they weren't supported or didn't have good attendance.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
They still had decent attendance some of those years, but yeah I'm aware they weren't tops in the league so not sure what exactly I was supposed to address. Wolff has really pissed off a lot of fans over the last 10 years and I think that has affected attendance even in playoff years. Just because a team isn't leading in attendance doesn't mean it doesn't have community support, especially for a team that splits a market.

If you did I'm not sure how you could claim the community hasn't supported them.

They were in the top attendance several of those years I mentioned for the AL. Just because someone like you isn't the "least bit impressed" doesn't really mean they weren't supported or didn't have good attendance.

What are you talking about?! What part of "they didn't exceed the American League average" don't you get? That means they were not in the top half of all the teams, even in years where they were in the World Series. That's absolutely pathetic.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about?! What part of "they didn't exceed the American League average" don't you get? That means they were not in the top half of all the teams, even in years where they were in the World Series. That's absolutely pathetic.
I mentioned the late 80's to early 90's. They did exceed the AL attendance average then, you even provided a link that shows that so maybe look at it again a little slower. They ranked in the Top 5 AL teams for attendance from 89 to 92.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Exactly. By all metrics A's attendence is awful. With people only showing up during the late 1980's and early 1990's, when the team was a guranteed pennant contender.

By contrast Dodgers and Angels share a market and are both top attendence teams.

Like football, the bay is an over saturated baseball market, and can only support one team.

A's need to relocate to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland