Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:09 PM

522 posts, read 737,754 times

Advertisements

You want urban? We got it! You want suburban? We got it! You want rural? We got it! You want coastal? We got it! You want forests? We got it! You want mountains? We got it! You want cool summers? We got it! You want warm summer? We got it! You want diversity? We got it! Not many regions are so blessed. If only we could figure out the housing situation...

Yes, the bay does have flaws, but if you can afford to live here, why wouldn't you? You have conservatives here that absolutely detest liberals, but they deal with it because they know no other region truly has it all like we do!

Say what you want, but it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 02:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
And what beaches have water warm enough to swim in???

Old 05-22-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I have nothing against SoCal. We get it, you moved there. I'm glad you enjoy it. lol

LA sucks, but San Diego is awesome.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
You want urban? We got it! You want suburban? We got it! You want rural? We got it! You want coastal? We got it! You want forests? We got it! You want mountains? We got it! You want cool summers? We got it! You want warm summer? We got it! You want diversity? We got it! Not many regions are so blessed. If only we could figure out the housing situation...

Yes, the bay does have flaws, but if you can afford to live here, why wouldn't you? You have conservatives here that absolutely detest liberals, but they deal with it because they know no other region truly has it all like we do!

There's no denying the Bay Area really does have a ton of things to offer & that appeal to a lot of people, the flaws also make it un-appealing. Personally, as I have made clear, I am not a fan of the area. While I do enjoy the scenery & weather, there are a lot of negatives for me, and that's okay.

The housing is the obvious blemish. A good down payment on a home is 20%, so just to buy a normal home in some decent areas, you're looking at $1 million, so $200,000 for a down payment, that's just not cool

Diversity to some is attractive, but to many, again, it's not appealing.

This ultimately comes down to the specific person and what they enjoy/prefer. Again, I won't argue that Bay Area doesn't have some incredible things, but to me, it's ultimately not my "style". To each their own

Old 05-22-2017, 02:31 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
NorCal beaches are for the hardy. Wimps need not approach. And on a hot day, splashing around in the ocean is just the ticket!

Old 05-22-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
There's no denying the Bay Area really does have a ton of things to offer & that appeal to a lot of people, the flaws also make it un-appealing. Personally, as I have made clear, I am not a fan of the area. While I do enjoy the scenery & weather, there are a lot of negatives for me, and that's okay.

The housing is the obvious blemish. A good down payment on a home is 20%, so just to buy a normal home in some decent areas, you're looking at $1 million, so $200,000 for a down payment, that's just not cool

Diversity to some is attractive, but to many, again, it's not appealing.

This ultimately comes down to the specific person and what they enjoy/prefer. Again, I won't argue that Bay Area doesn't have some incredible things, but to me, it's ultimately not my "style". To each their own
That's a completely reasonable statement! I'm fine with people not being in love with the bay area, but i never understood the constant bashing.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:48 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:
That's a completely reasonable statement! I'm fine with people not being in love with the bay area, but i never understood the constant bashing.
I can't lie, I have bashed it multiple times, and part of the reason for this is the simple fact it's not "home" and also that a lot of people here aren't to keen on "outsiders" disagreeing with them.

I posted a thread awhile back (a month or two ago) bashing it. But over the past couple months, I've actually came to the realization that's it's not as bad as I truly made it out to be. I still don't care for it much, but I have made peace with the fact that I'm stuck here another year or so for work, and might as well enjoy it, rather than be miserable. It has some positives, and negatives as any major city.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:

Really trying to bait some of the haters with this one I see...lol

I'll say though even if you can afford it some reasons people would not choose to live here:
-terrible value for what you get
-the flaws outweigh the positives
-culture/politics not to one's liking
-prefer 4 seasons/somewhere greener and more lush.

Personally I hate the cool summers along the coast and would move away just for that so I could have a real summer beach season lol.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:30 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:

We could bulldoze hundreds of thousands of acres of "green space" tomorrow and divide housing prices by a third.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Really trying to bait some of the haters with this one I see...lol
It's always fun when people get triggered on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland