Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You're acting in bad faith when you post these types of comments.

The point is that stereotypes mean that if you're a member of that group tagged with that stereotype, the burden of proof is on that person unless otherwise.

Case in point: If a white kid shoots up a place (e.g. Dylan Roof) - killing folks = he's said to be mentally deficient but we don't tag white people as clinically depressed nor a meth addicts. He's allowed to be an individual. Now if a person of color commits a crime, the whole group is saddled with that.

Stereotypes:

Mexicans = illegals immigrants, criminals

African Americans = thugs

Muslims = terrorists who don't assimilate to American standards

White people aren't tagged with being criminals as a whole when someone shoots up or goes on a killing spree. That's called a double standard.

really, white people dont have negative stereotypes associated with their race?

Whites = racists, hicks, white trash, trailer trash, imbred, crazies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
No. I just have opinions based on my experiences from bring from an Asian family, a white family--full of educators, from San Francisco/Bay Area AND being older than you. Not about politics. I am also married to an immigrant (via green card lottery/now a citizen) from Europe. I've lived abroad and traveled the world and have everything I need here in one of the most expensive places in America to live. I have no complaints and don't think I'm special--just lucky and blessed in so many ways.

Being a Liberal isn't a bad word. It's not an insult to me. I'm not that immature and childish. It's about progress, forward thinking in all areas. What's lies ahead in terms of socio-economics, education, technology, medicine, health, science, immigration, women's rights..the Declaration of Independence- that "all men are created equal"... I think forward,not back and know from history and what's going on in other places in the world that the days that many conservatives long for are never, ever, coming back again.

I'm not extreme--just practical and care about those that are often left behind (for many, many, reasons). I am also not inclined to just throw money at problems or demonize all conservative ideas either. I'm pretty much in the left leaning side of the middle-

I CAN and WILL disagree with you, bmw---car guy. I never called anyone a racist, btw. Few admit to that word--but get very angry when confronted with their auto pilot bias.
You never called anyone a racist?

You just called me a racist and all my type... I'm as much White as Obama btw. I thought non-Whites cant be racist to Liberals anyways?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

Whites = racists, hicks, white trash, trailer trash, imbred, crazy
Uh...no. I don't look at the local white woman/mom jogging on our local trail and automatically think "hick, trailer trash, white trash, inbred". Just like I don't see a random black guy or brown skinned person and think--criminal like you seem to do.

I don't even know where you're trying to go with this.

I'm gonna leave now, good night...There's really no debating with posters like you that make no sense and try to defend the indefensible. It's a fairly good chunk of time my wasted. I'm sure you know it all by now, kid. Raising teenagers/pre-adult now and I am fairly used to nonsense and wasted arguing.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Uh...no. I don't look at the local white woman/mom jogging on our local trail and automatically think "hick, trailer trash, white trash, inbred". Just like I don't see a random black guy or brown skinned person and think--criminal like you seem to do.

I don't even know where you're trying to go with this.
Most of my friends are Hispanic, where do you get the idea that an article when describing the suspect should include their race or when video survelience catches criminals in the act should reveal the video no matter what race has to do with me thinking, oh yep that black guy going to work THUG, oh yep that hispanic guy shopping ILLEGAL! I think the far left are some of the most racist people because everything to them is race this race that. You people dont draw lines between normal person to criminal or immigrant to illegal alien. You think if I'm against illegals, I'm against immigrants (my parents are immigrants, most of my family are immigrants, most of my friends are immigrants), you think if I'm against criminals then I hate colored people, like WTF is wrong with the far left these days.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Most of my friends are Hispanic, where do you get the idea that an article when describing the suspect should include their race or when video survelience catches criminals in the act should reveal the video no matter what race has to do with me thinking, oh yep that black guy going to work THUG, oh yep that hispanic guy shopping ILLEGAL! I think the far left are some of the most racist people because everything to them is race this race that. You people dont draw lines between normal person to criminal or immigrant to illegal alien. You think if I'm against illegals, I'm against immigrants (my parents are immigrants, most of my family are immigrants, most of my friends are immigrants), you think if I'm against criminals then I hate colored people, like WTF is wrong with the far left these days.
Wow. Yikes. "YOU people"? You mean like people--humans? I think your posts say it all.

I'm against criminals too, btw--as are most citizens.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Wow. Yikes. "YOU people"? You mean like people--humans? I think your posts say it all.

I'm against criminals too, btw--as are most citizens.
My post says it all? As in I'm a minority, most of my friends are minorities, most of my family are minorities, as well as immigrants? It says it all to match your post calling me a racist and people like me a racist? LOL okay there Clongirl. Keep defending criminals, great job for the community!

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/D...s-11734247.php

Old 08-04-2017, 10:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:

Whites = racists, hicks, white trash, trailer trash, imbred, crazies
Not to the extent that people of color are tagged with stereotypes they must bear. And that has a lot to do with cultural, social and political dominance.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:10 AM

522 posts, read 737,476 times
We don't know the race of the attacker and shootings happen everywhere in the US. Please chill, everyone.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 AM

522 posts, read 737,476 times
And turns out I was right.

"The gunmen are believed to be Norteno gang members and the intended targets belong to their rival gang, MS-13, sources say. However, the the 68-year-old man was an innocent bystander."

San Francisco Police Step Up Security After Triple Shooting in Dolores Park - NBC Bay Area

Old 08-05-2017, 11:33 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
And turns out I was right.

"The gunmen are believed to be Norteno gang members and the intended targets belong to their rival gang, MS-13, sources say. However, the the 68-year-old man was an innocent bystander."

San Francisco Police Step Up Security After Triple Shooting in Dolores Park - NBC Bay Area
I judge based on the non-verbal - demeanor, dress, gender etc...

I'd have a much different reaction to each group in the following pictures and I think we all would...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland