Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,342 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!
I recently received job offers to split time between san leandro, and walnut creek as a pediatric physical therapist. I am 26, and moving to the bay area. Recently single, I am trying to find a fun neighborhood to live in to meet other young professionals in a lively area, i know a lot of neighborhoods in san francisco are like that but the commute would be off since I am working in the east bay. I am prepared to pay a lot for rent I have already accepted that, just sort of seeing which neighborhoods in the east bay are fun and lively without being too hectic, insane, or dangerous. I've heard good things about rockridge but that is about it. Would like to have easy access to BART as well. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 05:36 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,288,203 times
For Oakland, Rockridge is good. So is Grand Lake, Piedmont Ave, Temescal, Jack London, and Uptown- All BARTable and transit friendly

San Leandro has some nice areas too, but the closer to 580 the better. Downtown is OK has a BART station as well and I'd choose it over the Bay Fair area, but that's just a personal preference.

Alameda is an option, so long as you're not too far deep in the island

Old 08-23-2017, 07:31 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,191,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
For Oakland, Rockridge is good. So is Grand Lake, Piedmont Ave, Temescal, Jack London, and Uptown- All BARTable and transit friendly

San Leandro has some nice areas too, but the closer to 580 the better. Downtown is OK has a BART station as well and I'd choose it over the Bay Fair area, but that's just a personal preference.

Alameda is an option, so long as you're not too far deep in the island
Good choices but since she didn't give a budget - I'm not sure. Does not sound like she has gotten an 80k year job so she is going to be limited with these Oak hoods. That is, if she wants to pay 30% of her gross. OP, give an exact budget and more people here can help you. Expect to pay at least 2,000/month if you want your own apartment (add $1,000+ if you require new) in these suggest places. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,342 times
i make around 90k a year so probably want to stay 3,000 or less or i might want to get a roommate in that case. What is everyones thoughts on Berkley neighborhoods?

Old 09-07-2017, 11:08 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccalvin129 View Post
i make around 90k a year so probably want to stay 3,000 or less or i might want to get a roommate in that case. What is everyones thoughts on Berkley neighborhoods?
Have you looked at Berkeley rents, on Craiglist, to get an idea? You have a good budget, so you should be able to swing it, but it helps to know what you're getting yourself into. Good Berkeley neighborhoods: anywhere in the east side of town, near College Avenue (south side of town) and points east (getting into the hills), or in north Berkeley (north of UC campus). More convenient for you probably would be the south side of town, for commuting out to Walnut Creek, etc. Try Elmwood, Claremont, Rockridge (which is Oakland, bordering on Berkeley's Elmwood, and right by the freeway out to WC).
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...291508191.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...135.html<br />
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...285335503.html

OP, I'm posting higher-end 1-br. apartments (a couple of them have an extra room, even), because you can afford these. You can find less spacious, less elegant apts. in this neighborhood or nearby, if you want that. The characteristic architecture of the neighborhood was built around the 30's, 40's, somewhat in the Craftsman style, with high ceilings, spacious rooms, nice woodwork, big windows, and often--lots of storage space, and built-in features. By going for the higher end of the 1-br. range, you'll remove yourself from the student competition, so trying to land a place won't be quite such a madhouse (in theory, at least). Anyway, it's a good rule of thumb to watch listings daily, and call on a unit as soon as it comes up. Have credit report, references, and proof of employment ready.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-07-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 02:58 PM

A lot of people LOVE Berkeley, but I am not the biggest fan. It's more expensive than neighboring cities, driving there is a nightmare, it gets worse fog/wind/clouds than other parts of the East Bay, and the people are even weirder than Oakland which is really saying something. The 'culture' is mostly student-oriented and/or aging hippies. It's a good place for families with kids, but unless you want to hang out in college bars all the time, I wouldn't really recommend it, unless you're a student or work at Cal.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:21 PM

655 posts, read 1,985,007 times
Rockridge is a good bet at that budget. You could also check out Temescal. Assuming you're driving to work, those neighborhoods put you equidistant to both places and right on 24 (which is preferable than living somewhere where you have to take 80 or 580 to 24, because if you can get directly on to 24, you stay in the reverse commute direction). And you're also close to BART, if you can BART to work. There are lots of young families there, but also plenty of younger people too. You could also check out Uptown, which is also pretty convenient to both the freeways and to BART, and definitely tips toward 20-somethings vs. families, though it's a bit closer to SL than to WC.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
A lot of people LOVE Berkeley, but I am not the biggest fan. It's more expensive than neighboring cities, driving there is a nightmare, it gets worse fog/wind/clouds than other parts of the East Bay, and the people are even weirder than Oakland which is really saying something. The 'culture' is mostly student-oriented and/or aging hippies. It's a good place for families with kids, but unless you want to hang out in college bars all the time, I wouldn't really recommend it, unless you're a student or work at Cal.
What's the difference between Elmwood and Rockridge? None that I can see.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:12 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of Rockridge because of the snooty vibe, but you're correct that there's an arbitrary line dividing it with Elmwood- it's the same neighborhood with different signs. Plenty of people like it; and live, shop, and work there, but it does skew a bit older and it wouldn't be the place I'd pick first if I were 26 and new to Oakland. Lake Merritt and Temescal have a younger/hipper vibe and that's where I'd look first, but given the OP's work situation, I specifically mentioned Rockridge first because of close proximity to WC and the fact that the OP was asking if it was OK. Uptown is probably the most vibrant of any of those neighborhoods, but it's also ridiculously expensive.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,913,403 times
Quote:
I'm not the biggest fan of Rockridge because of the snooty vibe, but you're correct that there's an arbitrary line dividing it with Elmwood- it's the same neighborhood with different signs. Plenty of people like it; and live, shop, and work there, but it does skew a bit older and it wouldn't be the place I'd pick first if I were 26 and new to Oakland. Lake Merritt and Temescal have a younger/hipper vibe and that's where I'd look first, but given the OP's work situation, I specifically mentioned Rockridge first because of close proximity to WC and the fact that the OP was asking if it was OK. Uptown is probably the most vibrant of any of those neighborhoods, but it's also ridiculously expensive.
Temescal is only 5 minutes more to WC than Rockridge. As long as you are east of Shattuck and north of the Lake, the trip to WC is really easy (grand lake too, 24 is only 2 exits up to 24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland