Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:38 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,648 times

Advertisements

I've never actually been to the Bay Area but it's an area I'll be looking at in the future for possible relocation. I don't want to be that close to downtown San Fran or Oakland, so I'm looking at the various towns on the outskirts.

It seems like the cities to the Northwest of San Francisco are very nice: Sausalito, San Rafael, Navato, Petaluma, and Santa Rosa. More toward the east, cities like Napa and Walnut Creek seem pretty nice.
And Palo Alto to the south looks pretty cool.

How do you guys feel about the cities I listed?
Are there any other cities/towns near the bay area that you'd recommend?

I work from home, so traffic and proximity to the major cities isn't much of a concern to me.
I'm looking for a town that's safe, has a decent night life and shopping, and is aesthetically charming. I also enjoy outdoor stuff like hiking, riding my bike, walking, etc. Cost of living isn't really a concern.

Thank you for whatever advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 11:17 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
And Palo Alto to the south looks pretty cool.

How do you guys feel about the cities I listed?
Cost of living isn't really a concern.
Palo Alto is one of the best cities and home to Stanford University. For a couple of million you can get a nice little shack there.

https://www.trulia.com/property/3224...-Alto-CA-94306

https://www.trulia.com/property/3258...-Alto-CA-94306

Quote:
I work from home, so traffic and proximity to the major cities isn't much of a concern to me.
So why live in California and pay an outrageous 13.3% top state income tax rate?

Old 01-25-2017, 11:19 AM

702 posts, read 953,749 times
You're looking for Palo Alto. It is incredibly wealthy (like you), and most of the residents are from somewhere else (like you). There is great access to hiking on the peninsula, and bicycling is largely accepted as a mode of transport thanks to its proximity to Stanford. On weekend mornings, throngs of recreational bicyclists climb up and roll down Page Mill Road. The downtown is charming and walkable with great architecture.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Palo Alto is one of the best cities and home to Stanford University. For a couple of million you can get a nice little shack there.
Haha, no thank you.
My future home will be between 2500 and 3000 sq. feet.
Real Estate seems quite expensive there in Palo Alto, I've seen similar houses in San Francisco that are cheaper.

Maybe I shouldn't write San Francisco off the list? I assumed the housing market there was the most expensive and difficult in the entire Bay area, but I guess not. The more I research San Francisco the more I like it, but I think I'm still more of a small city kind of guy, although I could give a big city a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
So why live in California and pay an outrageous 13.3% top state income tax rate?
1. When I finally relocate, most of my future income will be from capital gains.
Even when taxed at the highest federal rate (for capital gains), combined with the 13.3% state income tax, it won't be that big of a deal.
2. I already have enough accumulated wealth to where I'm no longer concerned with taxes.
3. I think California's climate, natural surroundings, and access to a wide variety of ammenities will make it worth while, even if I have to pay a little extra.

I was looking at places in Oregon and Washington (around Portland and Seattle areas) but the Bay area is at the top of my list at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
You're looking for Palo Alto. It is incredibly wealthy (like you), and most of the residents are from somewhere else (like you). There is great access to hiking on the peninsula, and bicycling is largely accepted as a mode of transport thanks to its proximity to Stanford. On weekend mornings, throngs of recreational bicyclists climb up and roll down Page Mill Road. The downtown is charming and walkable with great architecture.
It definitely sounds like a town that would fit me well. That'll be one of the main areas I check out when I visit there.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:32 PM

242 posts, read 432,970 times
1. No one calls The Bay Area or San Francisco "San Fran". Stop that

2. You say that cost of living isn't a problem but be sure you truly understand the costs ahead of time as they are often higher than many people, including wealthy folks, tend to realize.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:52 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,531 times
I live in Palo Alto (for the moment). It's nice. Can't see why someone would basically retire here, though. Much of what you're paying for is it's outstanding location, hyper achievement oriented schools (generally excellent) and convenience to work in both SF and SV - great train service.

If I were not working in an office, and don't need schools, on your list, I like Sausalito. You will have amazing water views available to you. The other northern Marin cities will be less upscale (though none of them are downscale). You could add top-tier Mill Valley to your list. You can also find view p

Big thing in wealthy CA is deciding on whether you want views and a hill house, or whether you want flat land (and probably larger lot for the $)

I'd also say that truly none of them have "decent" night life, but you could find somewhere to go out in a condensed zone in Palo Alto, Sausalito (which also has easy SF access), Walnut Creek, and Napa. The others, less so.

You must have a price point. At, say, $3m, each place offers different possibilities. You don't get the same everywhere.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:21 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,202 times
moraga, orinda, lafayette

Old 01-26-2017, 10:44 AM

176 posts, read 255,534 times
Los Gatos, tons of hiking and biking. It is very upscale and expensive. shopping, restaurants

Walnut creek, night life, shopping, restaurants. Also close to Mt diablo, hiking. Iron Horse trail.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
moraga, orinda, lafayette
I think I want to stick to the South or North, instead of way out east.
I'll check out Palo Alto and Sunnyvale areas, and Los Gatos as the other guy after you recommended.

From what I've read online, much of the north west bay area towns are good but people say to avoid Marin City, which seems odd since the entire area seems like it's mostly affluent or upper middle class.

Petaluma is one city that I really like, at least going by the info I've read online and pictures.
I might also consider looking at areas within San Francisco like Pacific Heights, Russian Hill, Marina, etc.
Although the population density would be much more than I am use to, those neighborhoods look very attractive and I'd be able to walk or bike to a bunch of different places. The only major thing that would concern me is big city crime. I'm not yet enlightened on what areas of San Francisco are safest and which should be avoided. Maybe you guys can chime in on that?

Normally I'd want to avoid living right near a big city, but San Francisco looks so inviting in pictures -- I'll definitely get a good on-the-ground perspective when I visit there during the summer.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:31 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
I think I want to stick to the South or North, instead of way out east.
I'll check out Palo Alto and Sunnyvale areas, and Los Gatos as the other guy after you recommended.

From what I've read online, much of the north west bay area towns are good but people say to avoid Marin City, which seems odd since the entire area seems like it's mostly affluent or upper middle class.

Petaluma is one city that I really like, at least going by the info I've read online and pictures.
I might also consider looking at areas within San Francisco like Pacific Heights, Russian Hill, Marina, etc.
Although the population density would be much more than I am use to, those neighborhoods look very attractive and I'd be able to walk or bike to a bunch of different places. The only major thing that would concern me is big city crime. I'm not yet enlightened on what areas of San Francisco are safest and which should be avoided. Maybe you guys can chime in on that?

Normally I'd want to avoid living right near a big city, but San Francisco looks so inviting in pictures -- I'll definitely get a good on-the-ground perspective when I visit there during the summer.
If you are visiting in July or August, bring warm clothes, SF gets very chilly in these months, however, many of the other cities (Petaluma, Palo Alto etc, you might be looking at will be warmer, so wear layers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland