Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:17 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
It's creepy and most disturbing how many folks (trolls) from other states see the words Gay Pride, fight, women, brawl and appear here suddenly like flies to shi#. Gets their twisted, pervy imaginations riled up, apparently. Sad and gross.
Don't overthink things or take it so personally.

It's entertaining at times, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 09:52 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Thankfully no I have not seen girls or she males dukeing it out in broad daylight in bikinis.

No hyperbole...just facts.

You should get out of here with your speculative assertions.
What "facts", exactly? That this happened? OK...but that's not what I'm even talking about.

Thankfully, it's not a normal occurrence. So, perhaps that is why you have not seen it. That this is some sort of representation of the reality of everyday life in SF is my (very obvious, I thought...) main contention.

And yes, this kind of nonsense can happen in all cities in the country - basically anywhere where alcohol is involved. Examples from Conservative-loved Texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Nm_MeZ5fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmKhVABgQ9M

Shall I write a silly comment on the Youtube videos asking what has happened to the great state of Texas???

And if your concern is "oh no - it's happening in the daylight hours!", maybe you haven't been acquainted with the drunk nonsense of things like St. Patricks Day parades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw90hW8b75s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nyUZuhC3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3_avi4FAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWlypkmAJFc

I mean, what is happening to these cities?!?! Who would ever want to visit those cities?!?!

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 06-29-2018 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
SF was actually much, much weirder twenty years ago. Parades and festivals were much more radical, politics were way more radical, people dressed much more alternative. Many of those people have gotten older and replaced by wealthier tech workers. But Fox News was still a serious news network in those days and didn't propagandize the way they do now. It takes considerable effort to show exceptional situations and make viewers believe those are normal everyday occurrences. Funny enough, during the Cold War, Communist countries used to show homeless people, freaks, and drug users in Western countries in their "news" to convince viewers that this was the normal state of affairs under conservative capitalism, and when their citizens finally got there and saw with their own eyes that it wasn't like that, they knew they had been lot to. Now, conservatives show the same types of images to claim that liberalism is causing the same thing. It's pure media spin either way, bc the city isn't littered with needles and feces at all. Same good and bad neighborhoods as always. Nothing's changed, for better or worse. Except the media. And you've been duped by it. Go see for yourself.

The new SF is actually much more corporate, much more wealthy, much more toned down and mainstream than in the past. There are huge new glass skyscrapers everywhere and still being built. Pride parades have become largely a sea of corporate sponsors now, and scenes like these are few and far between, so if you really care about what those individuals do on one day a year, then you should be applauding the increasing sterilization of San Francisco, not pretending it's getting more and more crazy. Quite the opposite.
Pretty accurate.

It's funny to hear/read the malarkey people believe about SF.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:19 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Don't overthink things or take it so personally.

It's entertaining at times, nothing more.
She’s not overthinking it. And it’s not entertaining ... except to the types she identified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What "facts", exactly? That this happened? OK...but that's not what I'm even talking about.

Thankfully, it's not a normal occurrence. So, perhaps that is why you have not seen it. That this is some sort of representation reality of everyday life in SF is my (very obvious, I thought...) main contention.

And yes, this kind of nonsense can happen in all cities in the country - basically anywhere where alcohol is involved. Examples from Conservative-loved Texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Nm_MeZ5fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmKhVABgQ9M

Shall I write a silly comment on the Youtube videos asking what has happened to the great state of Texas???

And if your concern is "oh no - it's happening in the daylight hours!", maybe you haven't been acquainted with the drunk nonsense of things like St. Patricks Day parades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw90hW8b75s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nyUZuhC3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3_avi4FAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWlypkmAJFc

I mean, what is happening to these cities?!?! Who would ever want to visit those cities?!?!
Thank you HockeyMac

Old 06-29-2018, 12:06 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
That SF is a filthy dump where people have to step over human waste, encounter used needles, deal with aggressive homeless behaviors, encounter screaming angry self talkers, encounter dazed out of their mind meth heads, encounter people shooting up drugs in broad daylight, filthy public transportation, and torn up streets that are in dire need of repair.

SF tourist industry struggles to explain street misery to horrified visitors
Quote:
And yes, this kind of nonsense can happen in all cities in the country - basically anywhere where alcohol is.
LOL you put in a lot of effort to try and prove something I didn't say? You should have waited for me to explain the facts I was referring to before you went off on a bizarre tangent and started posting YouTube videos of drunken fights.

Next time wait for the answer to what you've asked before responding.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:35 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
That SF is a filthy dump where people have to step over human waste, encounter used needles, deal with aggressive homeless behaviors, encounter screaming angry self talkers, encounter dazed out of their mind meth heads, encounter people shooting up drugs in broad daylight, filthy public transportation, and torn up streets that are in dire need of repair.

LOL you put in a lot of effort to try and prove something I didn't say? You should have waited for me to explain the facts I was referring to before you went off on a bizarre tangent and started posting YouTube videos of drunken fights.

Why are you so emotional about SF? If it is all a filthy dump then the easy solution is to never visit and go about your life.

I think the open air drug market and people shooting up is horrible. California has too many laws that allow you to do whatever you want. One could say, too much freedom. But, I am not getting myself into a tizzy over it. Take a deep breath, exhale, and try to relax.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:25 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Why are you so emotional about SF? If it is all a filthy dump then the easy solution is to never visit and go about your life.

I think the open air drug market and people shooting up is horrible. California has too many laws that allow you to do whatever you want. One could say, too much freedom. But, I am not getting myself into a tizzy over it. Take a deep breath, exhale, and try to relax.
Yea relax Matadora just let SF implode on itself. Just turn your head walk on by ignore everything.

Now that I think about it might be a good idea to have SF self destruct. Then the national guard can clear it out and we can start from scratch there. It worked for Detroit...

Old 06-30-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post

LOL at you ascribing positions to me that I don't hold. I'm not "so emotional" about anything.

The same crap you find is SF is occurring all over the Bay Area. Sitting around with your attitude is why things are the way they are in SF. Simple fact: When you tolerate bad behavior and crime you encourage it.

Old 06-30-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Yea relax Matadora just let SF implode on itself. Just turn your head walk on by ignore everything.
I am committed to fighting the good fight so that we can enjoy safe neighborhoods where law abiding people of all economic levels, social backgrounds, and belief systems can live in peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Now that I think about it might be a good idea to have SF self destruct. Then the national guard can clear it out and we can start from scratch there. It worked for Detroit...
Well I suppose that's one approach LOL!

Old 07-01-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Lol - unsurprising response.

Maybe we should back up here.

Let's remember your original post and, you know, the actual thread topic (a video of people fighting during an event).

Quote:
This comment on YouTube sums it up perfectly!

What a freak show.... Poor city...Used to be such a nice place to visit. Between the drug usage, dodging human feces�� on the sidewalk and this mayhem, I don't see why anyone would want to visit that cesspool.
Why would this be your comment in response to this video? Something that happens in pretty much every other city on a weekly basis, and certainly can happen during large events (and it does, see my last post for video evidence).

It makes no sense to comment on that, as if to imply that this kind of incidence is somehow unique to San Francisco? It's not.

By the way, I thought that point was very obvious in my two other posts. But you have, again, seemed to have missed it.

Quote:

Why are you bringing up any of this in this thread? Irrelevant, much? Do you remember the thread topic?

I'd never argue that SF doesn't have serious issues in relation to some, or even most, of these things, particularly in certain parts of the City (not all parts are affected equally by any means). Hey look, we agree.

But it's pretty off topic.

Quote:
It took me about three minutes on YouTube. I'm not sure I'd qualify that as "a lot of effort" - but we all have different standards on what that means, I suppose.

It was not a wild tangent... It was a direct response to your initial post where you quoted the YouTube comment, which implied that this kind of incidence only happens in SF.

I'm sorry, but if you have been to any large event like this, or been around enough drunk idiots, these kind of shenanigans occur everywhere. They just do. People can be stupid everywhere, this is not a "SF thing".

Quote:
This response makes little sense considering the content of your posts.

You're literally the reason this part of the thread exists.

Go back and re-read our comments to each other (starting at yours, of course) - you were certainly implying that this is somehow unique to SF. I replied multiple times against that point, even showing (easy-to-find) evidence to the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland