Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

It's that time again... Oakland Fire is out in force inspecting.

Lots of my elderly neighbors fret about this for months... fret is the right word after getting notice by mail.

This year each home is photographed and no written report is provided at time of inspection.

Inspectors said owners will be notified by mail of deficiencies... so plenty of time left to imagination.

Last year one of my neighbors had substantial write up for vegetation... she was besides herself... saying her husband always took care of things.

I took a look and ALL the vegetation is on city owned open space.

It took half a day off work to get it straightened out...

The irony is once it was established the city owned the overgrown property... nothing was done to mitigate...

The inspectors are nice enough... and for years we had one inspector that really was up to speed on property boundaries and ownership... she even got the city to do some mitigation... there is no continuity now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 04:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It's that time again... Oakland Fire is out in force inspecting.

Lots of my elderly neighbors fret about this for months... fret is the right word after getting notice by mail.

This year each home is photographed and no written report is provided at time of inspection.

Inspectors said owners will be notified by mail of deficiencies... so plenty of time left to imagination.

Last year one of my neighbors had substantial write up for vegetation... she was besides herself... saying her husband always took care of things.

I took a look and ALL the vegetation is on city owned open space.

It took half a day off work to get it straightened out...

The irony is once it was established the city owned the overgrown property... nothing was done to mitigate...

The inspectors are nice enough... and for years we had one inspector that really was up to speed on property boundaries and ownership... she even got the city to do some mitigation... there is no continuity now.
Interesting. I’ve never seen this in my neck of the city. Or received a notice of it. I’m off to do some research.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:50 PM

It is limited to areas of elevated urban/open space interface.

The big difference this year is no written report at the time of inspection... so not knowing is causing aniety for some of my senior neighbors.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:34 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I read up, and it’s not our area.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I read up, and it’s not our area.
I wish it wasn't in my area... especially when the inspectors can't read a plat map!

How can they not differentiate between city owned and privately owned property?

Old 07-15-2018, 12:37 PM

Update...

The 7 properties I worked on all passed... one was mine and the rest my 80+ year old neighbors...

It was a great relief getting the letter of compliance... too bad we all had to wait it out for the mail to come.

Now, summer can begin... not really being over dramatic but seniors take official goverment notices very seriously and spend hours worrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: