Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:02 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

I'd start with WC but don't fret if you end up Pleasanton/Dublin. There is no "perfection" in any of these places and I treat the whole area from Danville to Livermore like one big city when doing stuff anyway. Schools may vary a bit but there's nothing horrible anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 07:06 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
I would choose Alameda or Albany over either of those, as they are much closer in and offer what you are looking for. However, if you insist on moving out to the hinterlands, I do recommend Walnut Creek. WC is a thriving city with good shopping, restaurants, and cultural amenities to be had. Pleasanton is a bit, uh, lacking in those things. WC is also closer to SF than Pleasanton is, plus it has much more BART service.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:59 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Walnut Creek is closer to SF and a lot more interesting. Pleasanton's fine, but less distinctive. The main reason to choose Pleasanton would be easier, though not easy, commutes to the South Bay.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I work in San Francisco and live in Danville.
From my door (about 3 miles east of El Cerro) to Mission Bay (just south of Pac Bell Park) is just under 35 miles.
I drive it near very day unless I have to go to to our home office in Union City and that has the same commute.
My regular hours are 6:00 am to 1:30 pm.
The commute is 35-40 minutes in the morning with a coffee stop.
The afternoon commute home is about an hour.
This all changes drastically if I’m working late by an additional hour for the trip home.
It might cost a bit more than WC and more on par with Pleasanton but you might consider Danville.
Best of luck to you.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I would choose Alameda or Albany over either of those, as they are much closer in and offer what you are looking for. However, if you insist on moving out to the hinterlands, I do recommend Walnut Creek. WC is a thriving city with good shopping, restaurants, and cultural amenities to be had. Pleasanton is a bit, uh, lacking in those things. WC is also closer to SF than Pleasanton is, plus it has much more BART service.
I endorse this. And I think Alameda is a little more affordable than Albany, and more picturesque. Plus, you get to take the ferry to SF, instead of BART.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:12 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
My thoughts are that this question (or one very, very like it) has been asked so many times that the answer to your question(s) can be found by using the search functionality of this site. THEN, for *specific* questions a post might provide new, directed info ("I read that XYZABC .... do you really find that to be the case", for example).

Old 02-28-2019, 08:29 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I work in San Francisco and live in Danville.
From my door (about 3 miles east of El Cerro) to Mission Bay (just south of Pac Bell Park) is just under 35 miles.
I drive it near very day unless I have to go to to our home office in Union City and that has the same commute.
My regular hours are 6:00 am to 1:30 pm.
The commute is 35-40 minutes in the morning with a coffee stop.
The afternoon commute home is about an hour.
This all changes drastically if I’m working late by an additional hour for the trip home.
It might cost a bit more than WC and more on par with Pleasanton but you might consider Danville.
Best of luck to you.
While Danville is farther from Bart, it is one of my favorite cities. A great downtown that isn’t as crowded as Walnut Creek. West side is especially nice.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:38 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Alameda has 4 br. homes in your price range, is located on the Bay, and has ferry service to the Embarcadero. Good schools, great family area. Take a look, OP; you may not need BART at all.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-10843?view=qv

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Alameda/23.../home/12114524

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Alameda/49...home/143024075
Those Alameda homes are in a liquefaction zone!

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...er/0&source=sd

I would not even consider gambling on the purchase of a home in a liquefaction zone, especially with small children.

Last edited by capoeira; 02-28-2019 at 08:54 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 09:33 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Most of the bay area (well, close by the water) is in a liquefaction zone. Especially those areas built on landfill, including parts of SF (built on old sailing ships - I kid you not) and parts of redwood city. And a bunch of other places (not that they want to live in East Palo Alto).

Old 02-28-2019, 11:58 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I agree, most of the Bay Area is in liquefaction zone. More nonsense from people online to say I won’t buy house because of this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland