Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 04:46 PM

336 posts, read 413,787 times

Advertisements

Pros and cons of California!

I used to live in California several years back (Santa Cruz, SF East Bay, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara) and though I love other places too I still think longingly about it. There's a chance I may move back sometime.

For you current or past Californians, what are your thoughts on if the pros outweigh its tougher aspects in your opinion? (I know we all have different preferences but still would be fun to hear your opinions and info.)

Some Pros to Me:
- Many agree it has quite good weather/climate in parts (though we all have personal preferences)
- That California mystique excitement and history (San Francisco's 1960s hippies, L.A.'s movie and music scene, certain [maybe especially Northern California] hippie and spirituality stuff, etc., for anyone into those things)
- A lot of nature variety to choose from (though other states have that too), including some highly-regarded spots like Big Sur, Yosemite, Tahoe, Joshua Tree, oceans
- Such highly-populated cities (San Francisco, L.A., San Diego...) means many social, subculture, education, and business options
- SF Bay Area seems to maybe have a mix of high progressiveness and high diversity that is somewhat rare in the U.S.?

Some Cons to Me:
- Floods
- Fires
- Earthquake risk
- Drought
- Some areas (San Diego, L.A., San Francisco) extremely crowded and more expensive than most U.S. cities (along with NYC)...plus along with that comes much crime and much poverty
- I guess every state has a lot of drugs but California in particular seems known for being very heavy on marijuana and heroin, etc.

Looking forward to your replies!

Last edited by NatureYogi; 08-09-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 07:26 PM

344 posts, read 350,398 times
Pros
- diversity of people, opinion, culture, art, cuisine, climate
- generally fabulous climate
- emphasis on outdoors and health, well-managed parks and green spaces
- access to west coast, beaches, ocean and pacific rim
- interesting housing stock and general attention to design
- collaborative local and state government
- relatively few right-wing zealots

Cons
- enormous costs for housing, food, vehicles, taxes, electricity, tolls, any contractors, etc
- fire, landslide and earthquake risk
- litigious, shallow population full of millenial FANG type hipsters
- idiotic referendum system which allows voters to make insane laws based on their reaction to TV ads
- many hard-core left-wing zealots who want to control everyone
- crowded freeways and weekend getaway spots

Old 08-13-2019, 11:18 PM

8,601 posts, read 4,846,356 times
Mostly wonderful, but the COL would pretty much permanently keep me from moving back. That hurts a little, being that I grew up there, but less so when I take into consideration the traffic and the fringe lefties which are admittedly as bad as the fringe righties here in East Texas, a particularly red part of the state.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:37 AM

6,358 posts, read 8,879,497 times
There is an element of California: Wonderful Despite Being Wonderful.

Wonderful isn't a good. Wonderful invites a ton of development and crowding that ruins the wonderful. I could use California locations to illustrate what I mean, but I'll use another spot since it best gets my point across: Waikiki was a beautiful location with beaches on the Pacific and mountains on the perimeter. Everyone wanted to go to Waikiki. So it became totally developed and in many ways, indistinguishable from Miami Beach.

California's natural beauty and benevolent climate were the very magnets that can lead to destruction. If California is the proverbial golden (state) egg laid by the goose, it is very much subject to killing.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:02 AM

21,840 posts, read 16,525,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
There is an element of California: Wonderful Despite Being Wonderful.

Wonderful isn't a good. Wonderful invites a ton of development and crowding that ruins the wonderful. I could use California locations to illustrate what I mean, but I'll use another spot since it best gets my point across: Waikiki was a beautiful location with beaches on the Pacific and mountains on the perimeter. Everyone wanted to go to Waikiki. So it became totally developed and in many ways, indistinguishable from Miami Beach.

California's natural beauty and benevolent climate were the very magnets that can lead to destruction. If California is the proverbial golden (state) egg laid by the goose, it is very much subject to killing.
Eggsactly.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 PM

567 posts, read 434,957 times
Great natural beauty, great cities, high cost of living.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,656,451 times
Pros: hiking trails, weather mild all year, a few hours drive north to the snow, beaches nearby, all sorts of food (American, Mexican, Indian, etc.), I grew up here.

Cons: expensive, drought, never knowing when there will be an earthquake, traffic, liberal.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:23 PM

1,336 posts, read 936,892 times
All that was left for me was 'climate'. For coastal regions.
Otherwise the rest starting degrading. I voted with my feet and left.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 842,151 times
San Francisco only (since this is a SF/Oakland forum)

Pros:
You can make more money if you can save it and live in a Hostel
Compact
No floods, hurricanes, or tornadoes
The Presidio
View from my living room
My friends
Mitchell's Ice Cream
My masseuse when I can afford it

Cons:

Lack of Diversity (Predominately White and Asian)
COL
Echo Chamber
People aren't all that friendly compared to other places I've been and tend to be pretentious
Weather (I like it warmer)
Traffic
Earthquakes
Dirty Ocean Beach
Homeless

Old 08-18-2019, 08:12 AM

3,347 posts, read 1,277,957 times
I am a Canadian who has lived here for more than 5 years now....

Pro's:

-Sunshine, sunshine, sunshine!
-You can grow fruit!
-It's clean, no mud, no dirt, no puddles everywhere (try living in a winter city after snow melts).
-It's beautiful, the landscape, the plant life, the architecture, the Spanish influence. It's bright and colorful!
-All the great grocery stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Sprouts, local Co-op's,
-The insane amount of different foods to eat, all the Mexican food, cheap healthy food, ethnic foods, American foods, fusion etc, etc, etc.
-The California vibe of the people, the friendliness, the warmth, the happiness. I don't feel hostility here. Strangers smile and say hello to you
-Cost of living is not much different from Canada! I couldn't afford a house up there, I can't afford one down here. Gas prices are more up there, food costs more, and taxes about the same.

Con's:

-You realize there is not enough time in your lifetime to explore the millions of beach's, activities, attractions, towns, cities, landscapes, national/state parks, etc that exist in this state.
-You start taking things for granted here (until you go somewhere else, then realize how good you have it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland