Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 11:55 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,635 times

Advertisements

I have been going to Berkeley to pick up takeout, go for walks, and that sort of thing. The downtown and campus areas are very quiet right now. Mainly the homeless are out, and it's kind of depressing. The other neighborhoods are normal-ish.

Many restaurants are still open, and it's possible to meet friends in parks to socialize. Right now the big risk is socializing indoors, or outdoors without proper protections, in larger groups. There have been COVID-19 outbreaks at UC Berkeley related to frat parties and that sort of thing. So if those parties are on her bucket list, then no, she should not come. But if she follows social distancing guidelines, why not? Just don't expect the lively campus and community life that existed until March of this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 12:12 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samerdal View Post

25 is just a number. To me, she is my baby.
This is sweet. While on the one hand, it's easy to understand, that probably most French young people would jump at the chance to experience life in California, due to the pandemic restrictions, the experience would probably be disappointing.

I checked the news from UAE on their Covid situation. They seem to be handling it on an advanced level, compared to the US. Furthermore, astonishingly, the pandemic seems to have brought about a UAE/Israeli scientific collaboration! That's amazing! So, it IS possible for humanity to work together for a common goal during a crisis! ...in spite of the efforts of some elements to pull different sectors apart. We're not doing very well at all in the working-together department, over here in the US.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
I was telling her the same. Her 2nd year journey will not be complete because of this.
We are in the UAE. Time management is not a problem.
Ture. But you do not know the parents feelings
25 is just a number. To me, she is my baby.
Indeed, and she always will be

Old 08-17-2020, 07:42 PM

408 posts, read 450,598 times
The Bay Area is one of the most beautiful urban spots in all of the U.S.

It's a magical combination of water, hills, big city culture and academic life. It is optimistic, energetic, a little silly (sometimes more than a little!) but always beautiful and exciting. I understand your daughter not wanting to miss out on all of this.

Yes, school will be on line, and many of her friends from her first year program may not be in Berkeley. BUT, others will be in town. Tens of thousands of local residents will still be there, trying to make a bad situation bearable. If any place can do it, it's Berkeley (and the surrounding towns/cities.) Covid is taken very seriously in Berkeley and San Francisco: that's because most of the locals and their political leaders are smart. They understand and respect science.

Berkeley in 2020 will be very different than Berkeley in 2019. But it's still BERKELEY. A thrilling place to be. If your daughter wants to return and you can afford it, I would encourage you to consider it.

Just so you know, my daughter is only a little bit older than yours. We live in Colorado. She is finishing her doctorate (not in California) and will be applying for academic positions later this year. San Francisco is her top choice. I have no problem with her choice, feel confident she will be "safe" and hope she ends up there because I too love it.

Good luck to both of you!

Old 08-18-2020, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 5,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I have been going to Berkeley to pick up takeout, go for walks, and that sort of thing. The downtown and campus areas are very quiet right now. Mainly the homeless are out, and it's kind of depressing. The other neighborhoods are normal-ish.

Many restaurants are still open, and it's possible to meet friends in parks to socialize. Right now the big risk is socializing indoors, or outdoors without proper protections, in larger groups. There have been COVID-19 outbreaks at UC Berkeley related to frat parties and that sort of thing. So if those parties are on her bucket list, then no, she should not come. But if she follows social distancing guidelines, why not? Just don't expect the lively campus and community life that existed until March of this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is sweet. While on the one hand, it's easy to understand, that probably most French young people would jump at the chance to experience life in California, due to the pandemic restrictions, the experience would probably be disappointing.

I checked the news from UAE on their Covid situation. They seem to be handling it on an advanced level, compared to the US. Furthermore, astonishingly, the pandemic seems to have brought about a UAE/Israeli scientific collaboration! That's amazing! So, it IS possible for humanity to work together for a common goal during a crisis! ...in spite of the efforts of some elements to pull different sectors apart. We're not doing very well at all in the working-together department, over here in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Indeed, and she always will be
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
The Bay Area is one of the most beautiful urban spots in all of the U.S.

It's a magical combination of water, hills, big city culture and academic life. It is optimistic, energetic, a little silly (sometimes more than a little!) but always beautiful and exciting. I understand your daughter not wanting to miss out on all of this.

Yes, school will be on line, and many of her friends from her first year program may not be in Berkeley. BUT, others will be in town. Tens of thousands of local residents will still be there, trying to make a bad situation bearable. If any place can do it, it's Berkeley (and the surrounding towns/cities.) Covid is taken very seriously in Berkeley and San Francisco: that's because most of the locals and their political leaders are smart. They understand and respect science.

Berkeley in 2020 will be very different than Berkeley in 2019. But it's still BERKELEY. A thrilling place to be. If your daughter wants to return and you can afford it, I would encourage you to consider it.

Just so you know, my daughter is only a little bit older than yours. We live in Colorado. She is finishing her doctorate (not in California) and will be applying for academic positions later this year. San Francisco is her top choice. I have no problem with her choice, feel confident she will be "safe" and hope she ends up there because I too love it.

Good luck to both of you!

Thank you very much. My daughter took her final decision, she decided to stay here with us and go back to Berkeley in May 2021 for graduation. These are her reasons (after listening to us and read your comments in here, read online, discussed with friends, etc), and it is totally her decision.

1- Most of her friends are not going back to Berkeley, her best friends included. So she if she goes, she will be staying alone most of the time.

2- Catching Covid will be a problem if she is by herself, far away from home.

3- No Campus activities, no seminars (only online), no parties or the usual things she wanna do...

Again, it is her decision. we as parents are happy she is staying with us.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:20 AM

408 posts, read 450,598 times
Quote:

And I as a parent understand why you are happy she is staying with you. All parents are alike Wishing your daughter the best - and wishing all of you a great May 2021 visit to Berkeley.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
And I as a parent understand why you are happy she is staying with you. All parents are alike Wishing your daughter the best - and wishing all of you a great May 2021 visit to Berkeley.
Thank you

Old 08-19-2020, 01:31 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Thank you very much. My daughter took her final decision, she decided to stay here with us and go back to Berkeley in May 2021 for graduation. These are her reasons (after listening to us and read your comments in here, read online, discussed with friends, etc), and it is totally her decision.

1- Most of her friends are not going back to Berkeley, her best friends included. So she if she goes, she will be staying alone most of the time.

2- Catching Covid will be a problem if she is by herself, far away from home.

3- No Campus activities, no seminars (only online), no parties or the usual things she wanna do...

Congratulations to the entire family! I like the compromise aspect of it, where she decided to attend her graduation ceremony. (If they have one.) I would not assume that Covid will be over in Spring of 2021. She can re-evaluate over the winter, and check with the university, to see if they'll have a ceremony.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Congratulations to the entire family! I like the compromise aspect of it, where she decided to attend her graduation ceremony. (If they have one.) I would not assume that Covid will be over in Spring of 2021. She can re-evaluate over the winter, and check with the university, to see if they'll have a ceremony.
Thank you Ruth. Covid is not going to disappear before a cure as we all heard. Yes, attending the graduation ceremony is not guaranteed yet. We are hoping for the best.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:51 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
The situation is bad in the US and it doesn't appear to be getting better any time soon.

It's not getting better soon, because that was the point of flatten the curve. It's not "bad" - it's about average. But the whole thing is "bad" so I'll agree with that.

For the OP - your daughter's chances (and anyone's for that matter) of getting COVID are very - very - low despite what you hear on the news. YES it's big "numbers" - but the USA is a huge country, so the big "numbers" are a tiny percent.

That's not to say it's not serious, that it does not exist, or that you can't get seriously ill - you can - but (assuming she's in decent health) - she has a greater chance of being injured in a car on the way to or from the airport. You really shouldn't fret over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland