Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 5,641 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a father who is concerned about his daughter, she will be reading your comments.

To sum it up:

My daughter is a 25 year old woman. She is doing a two-year master's program at UC Berkeley, she is already done with her first year and the second school year is in September.

We are French, but live and work in the United Arab Emirates. My daughter considers going back to Berkeley to study her second and final year there (online). I tried to tell her to stay with us since the school year is going online, but she says that she does not want to let go of another year in the U.S. as a student.

But what is she really going to do there? It is online. I am concerned about her safety, her well being. I am also watching the US news and the possible second wave of Covid this fall.

I have not been to California before. I know nothing about the Bay Area. But is it safe? I am worried if my daughter got Covid what she or us going to do (regardless of the insurance because she has the student insurance). Also the housing is not a problem for her, I do not care about housing savings if she stays here with us, I am just concerned about her health there.

Since you live there, around Berkeley, please advise me (us), she is reading as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 03:15 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Sorry that you are feeling so concerned. I honestly don't blame you. The situation is bad in the US and it doesn't appear to be getting better any time soon. I'm sure that's all you see on the news and it gives the impression that it is unsafe everywhere you go. Just like anything else, what you may see on tv doesn't tell the whole story.

Let me address your question in two parts 1 - UC Berkeley and 2 - Health and Safety.

1 - UC Berkeley - This is an incredible school and her degree will be well regarded internationally. It will benefit her for the rest of her professional life and I wouldn't recommend giving up that opportunity, especially if its just one more year.
2 - Health and Safety - The fact that she can attend the classes online significantly reduces risk. Yes, the numbers are very high in the US, even in the Bay Area and Alameda County (where Berkeley is located). However, COVID here disproportionally affects poorer neighborhoods, so its likely your daughter would not be in the highest risk situations. Aside from that, she should take reasonable precautions (wear a mask when going out, use hand sanitizer, don't congregate in large groups, avoid public transport if possible) and her heath/safety risk will be about as good as anywhere. I won't say there's no risk, but that's COVID in general. I'd say she would have risk in France as well. I've heard that the numbers in Europe are starting to tick up, in conjunction with the August holidays and schools starting. Yes, they are not anywhere near US levels but that could quickly change, as we saw in March. If it gives you any comfort, the Bay Area overall has much lower COVID rates vs most other parts of the country, although its still too high.

Old 08-16-2020, 03:21 PM

353 posts, read 437,098 times
The bay area is extremely safe. The Berkely campus is also pretty safe.

California has a high rate of covid, but 95% of cases are outside of the Bay Area.

The worse places in the Northern Bay Area for covid have LESS than 1% of the total covid cases in CA despite the high population rate (San Jose in Santa Clara county is the most poulated city in CA outside of LA).

If she follows CDC and local guidelines for covid prevention, she should be fine.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:48 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samerdal View Post
Hello,

I am a father who is concerned about his daughter, she will be reading your comments.

To sum it up:

My daughter is a 25 year old woman. She is doing a two-year master's program at UC Berkeley, she is already done with her first year and the second school year is in September.

We are French, but live and work in the United Arab Emirates. My daughter considers going back to Berkeley to study her second and final year there (online). I tried to tell her to stay with us since the school year is going online, but she says that she does not want to let go of another year in the U.S. as a student.

But what is she really going to do there? It is online. I am concerned about her safety, her well being. I am also watching the US news and the possible second wave of Covid this fall.

I have not been to California before. I know nothing about the Bay Area. But is it safe? I am worried if my daughter got Covid what she or us going to do (regardless of the insurance because she has the student insurance). Also the housing is not a problem for her, I do not care about housing savings if she stays here with us, I am just concerned about her health there.

Since you live there, around Berkeley, please advise me (us), she is reading as well.
Have you looked at the stats in Oakland, Berkeley, and SF?

I would THINK she would be okay.

I think she probably knows what's best at this point.

You are good to be so supportive, but I would defer to her if money is not an issue.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Sorry that you are feeling so concerned. I honestly don't blame you. The situation is bad in the US and it doesn't appear to be getting better any time soon. I'm sure that's all you see on the news and it gives the impression that it is unsafe everywhere you go. Just like anything else, what you may see on tv doesn't tell the whole story.

Let me address your question in two parts 1 - UC Berkeley and 2 - Health and Safety.

1 - UC Berkeley - This is an incredible school and her degree will be well regarded internationally. It will benefit her for the rest of her professional life and I wouldn't recommend giving up that opportunity, especially if its just one more year.
2 - Health and Safety - The fact that she can attend the classes online significantly reduces risk. Yes, the numbers are very high in the US, even in the Bay Area and Alameda County (where Berkeley is located). However, COVID here disproportionally affects poorer neighborhoods, so its likely your daughter would not be in the highest risk situations. Aside from that, she should take reasonable precautions (wear a mask when going out, use hand sanitizer, don't congregate in large groups, avoid public transport if possible) and her heath/safety risk will be about as good as anywhere. I won't say there's no risk, but that's COVID in general. I'd say she would have risk in France as well. I've heard that the numbers in Europe are starting to tick up, in conjunction with the August holidays and schools starting. Yes, they are not anywhere near US levels but that could quickly change, as we saw in March. If it gives you any comfort, the Bay Area overall has much lower COVID rates vs most other parts of the country, although its still too high.
The thing is that she can take her online courses and graduate from Berkeley without having to be psychically there (in the U.S.).

Old 08-16-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
The bay area is extremely safe. The Berkely campus is also pretty safe.

California has a high rate of covid, but 95% of cases are outside of the Bay Area.

The worse places in the Northern Bay Area for covid have LESS than 1% of the total covid cases in CA despite the high population rate (San Jose in Santa Clara county is the most poulated city in CA outside of LA).

If she follows CDC and local guidelines for covid prevention, she should be fine.
Just check them, you are right most of them in Los Angeles, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Have you looked at the stats in Oakland, Berkeley, and SF?

I would THINK she would be okay.

I think she probably knows what's best at this point.

You are good to be so supportive, but I would defer to her if money is not an issue.
It is her decision. But as a father, I am concerned. I appreciate it.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
She says she doesn't want to miss the experience of her last year in Berkeley as a student. That is perfectly understandable. HOWEVER, her experience would be tremendously diminished by the restrictions related to the pandemic. For example, she wouldn't be able to enjoy the usual type of social life, and the restaurants, music concerts, and so forth. it wouldn't be the normal Berkeley and Bay Area experience. So that's something she should consider.

Here's information on the latest restrictions and partial-business-opening guidelines for Berkeley:
https://www.cityofberkeley.info/covi...-order-2020-10

Old 08-16-2020, 07:15 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samerdal View Post
The thing is that she can take her online courses and graduate from Berkeley without having to be psychically there (in the U.S.).
I suppose its a personal choice regarding whether you'd want her to be in the US. As mentioned earlier, I don't think Berkeley in of itself is especially dangerous. The US is a huge country, so its not homogeneous in terms of being all dangerous regarding COVID.

If she's taking online courses via Zoom, would it be a challenge to manage the time zone from France?

Old 08-16-2020, 11:17 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
I'd let her decide, she's obviously very bright and at 25 she is capable of making her own decisions.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She says she doesn't want to miss the experience of her last year in Berkeley as a student. That is perfectly understandable. HOWEVER, her experience would be tremendously diminished by the restrictions related to the pandemic. For example, she wouldn't be able to enjoy the usual type of social life, and the restaurants, music concerts, and so forth. it wouldn't be the normal Berkeley and Bay Area experience. So that's something she should consider.

Here's information on the latest restrictions and partial-business-opening guidelines for Berkeley:
https://www.cityofberkeley.info/covi...-order-2020-10

I was telling her the same. Her 2nd year journey will not be complete because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I suppose its a personal choice regarding whether you'd want her to be in the US. As mentioned earlier, I don't think Berkeley in of itself is especially dangerous. The US is a huge country, so its not homogeneous in terms of being all dangerous regarding COVID.

If she's taking online courses via Zoom, would it be a challenge to manage the time zone from France?
We are in the UAE. Time management is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'd let her decide, she's obviously very bright and at 25 she is capable of making her own decisions.
Ture. But you do not know the parents feelings

25 is just a number. To me, she is my baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland