Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 03:39 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I'm not enjoying the overall smoky days, which have been for over 3 weeks now. I can't go to the gym (and wouldn't feel safe doing so in the COVID era) and outdoor exercise was a stress reliever for me. I can't do that now because the air isn't great.

The gyms just opened......& it's outdoors only. They have tents & if you're younger & healthy....no lung or heart disease.....it's not likely you're going to have problems.

It's worse if you breathe in through your mouth......or exercise too intensely in it....BUT moderate exercise is Ok. They are all set up at the Sf SoMA location....even with the Spare the Air alert. I just saw it on TV. Or exercise in your home.

You might be making excuses not to exercise....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 03:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Rain always helps my allergies as it clears the air... not much chance of rain anytime soon in the Bay Area...

The impact of the fires drives home just how insignificant the actions of mankind can be against nature...

Maybe more fire resistant construction will increase?

In Hurricane country homes are often reinforced concrete... when I worked construction in the Alps concrete/concrete block homes with tile roofs and concrete floors and ceilings don't burn to the ground..

Old 09-10-2020, 07:00 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Has it let up at all?

Old 09-10-2020, 07:04 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Checked the app om my Iphone and air quality has gone from
'unhealthy" to "very unhealthy" in SF

Old 09-11-2020, 08:20 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Southern CA hasn't been socked in with smoke for weeks. Their wildfires don't seem to impact air quality nearly as much and as long as here.

I wonder if the colder, denser air here makes smoke linger longer.
LA is having their worst air quality in 30 years and a friend of mine there said they're also getting the orange skies. Its also not like SD is immune from major wildfires, even though they're not getting as much currently. I think its a misnomer that they can't get impacted there for weeks on end. We're getting more here now because there are more large wildfires in NorCal and Oregon vs Socal, but that can change at any time.

Heck, I was thinking Oregon may be a better place to live long-term with global warming. I'm now having second thoughts about that as well.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:41 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
That’s some crazy stuff. I’m supposed to be coming up there next week. I was kinda hoping it would be gone. Has the ash / smoke impacted flights? I’m flying back home.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:20 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
LA is having their worst air quality in 30 years and a friend of mine there said they're also getting the orange skies. Its also not like SD is immune from major wildfires, even though they're not getting as much currently. I think its a misnomer that they can't get impacted there for weeks on end. We're getting more here now because there are more large wildfires in NorCal and Oregon vs Socal, but that can change at any time.

Heck, I was thinking Oregon may be a better place to live long-term with global warming. I'm now having second thoughts about that as well.
Not because of wildfires though. Despite the prevalence of wildfires in SD/Southern CA they don't go weeks on end with smoke like this. Even in 2003 and 2007, I remember it clearing up in a few days to a week at most. Well yeah there are more areas filled with much denser vegetation to burn around here hence why we go weeks with terrible air quality and smoke filled skies while SoCal doesn't. The desert or coastal scrub doesn't burn like this.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:49 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
That’s some crazy stuff. I’m supposed to be coming up there next week. I was kinda hoping it would be gone. Has the ash / smoke impacted flights? I’m flying back home.
Just changes hourly. CZU, LNU, and SCU are mostly contained, which were the massive fires with some 850,000 acres burned between Santa Cruz, east of San Jose, and around Lake Berreyesa (Napa/Sonoma/Lake/Yolo/Colusa counties). August complex up in Mendocino isn't though, 750,000 acres there. Then you've got all the stuff that's going on up in Oregon and Washington drifting down. Oregon is awful right now.

CZU, LNU, SCU if they stay contained will likely have mostly burnt in a week. I doubt August will be, but just depends. Then it depends on wind. E.g., two days ago the forecast for this weekend was severe/hazardous, then it was moderate. As we sit here right now about 30 miles north of San Francisco it's at about 6 a.m. on Saturday though AQI is 170, upper end of unhealthy. There's no breeze coming in from the ocean to clear it out at the moment, so another morning run cancelled. Just changes hourly. Last three days hasn't been much breeze but before that morning and evenings were, well, okay. Middle of the day when the breeze died down it got bad. Last three days just been bad.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Just changes hourly. CZU, LNU, and SCU are mostly contained, which were the massive fires with some 850,000 acres burned between Santa Cruz, east of San Jose, and around Lake Berreyesa (Napa/Sonoma/Lake/Yolo/Colusa counties). August complex up in Mendocino isn't though, 750,000 acres there. Then you've got all the stuff that's going on up in Oregon and Washington drifting down. Oregon is awful right now.

CZU, LNU, SCU if they stay contained will likely have mostly burnt in a week. I doubt August will be, but just depends. Then it depends on wind. E.g., two days ago the forecast for this weekend was severe/hazardous, then it was moderate. As we sit here right now about 30 miles north of San Francisco it's at about 6 a.m. on Saturday though AQI is 170, upper end of unhealthy. There's no breeze coming in from the ocean to clear it out at the moment, so another morning run cancelled. Just changes hourly. Last three days hasn't been much breeze but before that morning and evenings were, well, okay. Middle of the day when the breeze died down it got bad. Last three days just been bad.
For several days with the offshore winds, the wind was blowing due South or Southwest, which caused the smoke in Mendocino and Oroville to blow straight into the Bay Area. Then on Wednesday, the onshore flow started and much of the smoke from Oregon blew in, as it had been off the Bay Area coast. I would expect the next 2-3 days this to be worked through, especially with a trough coming in around Monday. I'm not sure if we'll be 100% smoke free, but the forecast does look much better for smoke, post weekend. There also aren't any offshore flows forecast for the next 7-10 days, so I'd expect us to get some reprieve starting next week. It likely won't get this bad again unless 1 - we have another offshore flow event (very possible in late September/October in general) or 2 - new fires start nearby (no forecast lightning events but always a possibility with stupid people starting campfires, throwing out cigarette butts, causing a spark from a car or lawn mower, doing a gender reveal party or arson).

Old 09-12-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
The gyms just opened......& it's outdoors only. They have tents & if you're younger & healthy....no lung or heart disease.....it's not likely you're going to have problems.

It's worse if you breathe in through your mouth......or exercise too intensely in it....BUT moderate exercise is Ok. They are all set up at the Sf SoMA location....even with the Spare the Air alert. I just saw it on TV. Or exercise in your home.

You might be making excuses not to exercise....
Umm, I personally don't think its safe to exercise outdoors when the AQI is 150-200. When you exercise, you have to take in a deeper breath. I personally would love to do daily hikes or bike rides, but not with this air quality. I've been doing gym workouts via video inside, but its not the same. And no, gyms have not opened outdoors near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland