Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2021, 07:47 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times

Advertisements

https://www.bart.gov/about/projects/substations

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/...center-station

I always thought the lowest limiting factor / bottleneck for BART was actual track capacity which is an incredibly difficult task to improve before needing heaps more money to build more tracks. That usually has for most agencies meant topping out at around 30 trains per hour though some have been able to achieve 40 trains per hour in regular operation. BART has instead been achieving a maximum of 23 trains per hour.Apparently, the bottleneck was actually not enough power from substations which seems bizarre to me that somethingrather easily remediable has taken this long to fix or wasn't already part of its operations from the outset when BART opened in the 70s.

Anyhow, I guess this is good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 08:05 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
It’s actually more the train control system that needs to be upgraded that was more the limiting factor.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:26 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
https://www.bart.gov/about/projects/substations

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/...center-station

I always thought the lowest limiting factor / bottleneck for BART was actual track capacity which is an incredibly difficult task to improve before needing heaps more money to build more tracks. That usually has for most agencies meant topping out at around 30 trains per hour though some have been able to achieve 40 trains per hour in regular operation. BART has instead been achieving a maximum of 23 trains per hour.Apparently, the bottleneck was actually not enough power from substations which seems bizarre to me that somethingrather easily remediable has taken this long to fix or wasn't already part of its operations from the outset when BART opened in the 70s.

Anyhow, I guess this is good news.
. I wonder if BART's sister system in the DC area has these problems, is similarly overcrowded, and so on. Maybe it's better funded, IDK, but I think a comparison of the two systems could be interesting.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It’s actually more the train control system that needs to be upgraded that was more the limiting factor.

Are they doing train control system upgrade with the power substation upgrades? Supposedly it's after these power substation upgrades that BART will be going from 23 tph to 30 tph.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
. I wonder if BART's sister system in the DC area has these problems, is similarly overcrowded, and so on. Maybe it's better funded, IDK, but I think a comparison of the two systems could be interesting.

The DC system has had issues with funding for maintenance, but has been pretty well-funded (for the US) in terms of expansions and capital improvements, so it's now quite a bit larger than BART in regards to stations and ridership. The system's also a lot more extensive especially in the downtown area though there isn't really the large light rail system to supplement it as there is in SF with Muni Metro. Basically, both BART and Washington Metro are sort of commuter rail/rapid transit hybrids often using interlining of multiple services from different branches along large stretches to act as rapid transit especially along the more densely populated parts of the urban area, but Washington Metro currently is heavier on the rapid transit side of the hybrid than the commuter rail side compared to BART which partially accounts for the higher ridership and more stations despite having similar total system length.

The DC area is also now considering greatly upgrading its actual commuter rail services to do through-running so that it, too, can potentially work as a hybrid system, though it's unclear if the respective agencies will actually cooperate to that extent. I think this would make sense for the Bay Area as well with Caltrain, ACE, and maybe eventually Capitol Corridor and ACE especially if there was another Transbay crossing.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-10-2021 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-10-2021, 11:19 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are they doing train control system upgrade with the power substation upgrades? Supposedly it's after these power substation upgrades that BART will be going from 23 tph to 30 tph.
Yes, it's all BART of the bigger Transbay Corridor Core Capacity Program. They need to new train control system to run trains closer together.

https://www.bart.gov/about/projects/corecapacity

Old 03-11-2021, 01:34 AM

6,749 posts, read 6,736,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
. I wonder if BART's sister system in the DC area has these problems.
DC's Metro has a second way over the Potomac on the 14th St Bridge. There's a similar issue of crowding though at the primary route into the city at the Rosslyn tunnel. That tunnel is much shorter but what happens there (at least pre-COVID) is the trains spend time hanging out in the Rosslyn station waiting for tunnel capacity to open up.

I commuted for awhile from Rosslyn to Foggy Bottom, which would be like West Oakland to Embarcadero, and the trip was more painful than it should have been given the shorter distance. Once you get into the Transbay you're hauling at 65-70 mph. It DC you're stop and go under the Potomac.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/metro-lo...lyn-congestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland