Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 05:41 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times

Advertisements

Yeah, there's no shortage of big Asian grocery stores in the South or East Bay and the Peninsula has plenty too. I'm just baffled about the lack of them in SF itself. What I'm looking for are big marketplace type grocery stores, with food courts and specialty shops within the store. They don't necessarily have to be chains although some are. Nijiya in Japantown is probably the closest in SF to what I'm thinking of, but even that's more mid-sized than big. H-Mart has been coming soon since 2019, although hopefully it really is coming soon this time (even though that's basically on the border of Daly City.) I can usually find the produce I need at the corner markets but in general they don't really do it for me...nearly all of them close too early and to me they feel more small town than cosmopolitan big city.

I love Mitsuwa in San Jose which is worth making a special trip for (especially when they have food demonstrations, such as fresh Takoyaki!) I also like Koreana Plaza in Oakland which I used to take BART to. I haven't been to Pacific East Mall but will check it out next time I go out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 02:00 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Given SF’s demographics, why is there such a lack of big Asian Grocery Stores here? To me this is one of the most puzzling things about the city.
I think people in SF really like the small neighborhood stores,especially in the covid era. I can get in and out of small produce markets like the one on 8th and Clement in about 5 minutes. Also the produce in these types of small stores is frequently much much fresher than big stores like 99 ranch that has everything cellophane wrapped for a few days.

If they had a big store where would they put the parking lot? Even some of the Whole Foods stores in SF are much smaller than a typical suburban Whole Foods. Some people call the one in Noe Valley "Half Foods" because its so small compared to a regular Whole Foods.

Its just not Asian stores. There are no big Mexican stores like Cardenas or Chavez Supermarket in SF.

Quote:
Yeah, there's no shortage of big Asian grocery stores in the South or East Bay and the Peninsula has plenty too. I'm just baffled about the lack of them in SF itself. What I'm looking for are big marketplace type grocery stores, with food courts and specialty shops within the store.
The many small shops serve the same purpose as food courts. For example look at just one block on Clement. There is a produce store, two dim sum shops, a meat/seafood market and a Chinese bbq place all on the same side of the street between 7th and 8th. One can walk over to 6th Ave for a specialty tea shop.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I think people in SF really like the small neighborhood stores,especially in the covid era. I can get in and out of small produce markets like the one on 8th and Clement in about 5 minutes. Also the produce in these types of small stores is frequently much much fresher than big stores like 99 ranch that has everything cellophane wrapped for a few days.
I suppose it's is a matter of preference. But I prefer the bigger, more spacious stores especially in the covid era. I generally don't have issues with produce quality at the bigger stores, it's more dependent on the store than the size.

Quote:
If they had a big store where would they put the parking lot? Even some of the Whole Foods stores in SF are much smaller than a typical suburban Whole Foods. Some people call the one in Noe Valley "Half Foods" because its so small compared to a regular Whole Foods.
The same way Safeway or Whole Foods finds a place for their parking lots. Yeah, the Noe Valley Whole Foods is small...but the Van Ness, Potrero, and SOMA ones are full size. Even the one in the Haight isn't that small. All the Safeways are big too.

Quote:
Its just not Asian stores. There are no big Mexican stores like Cardenas or Chavez Supermarket in SF.
There's also a much smaller Hispanic population (15% compared to 34% Asian) though it's odd that there aren't any big Hispanic grocers either.

Quote:
The many small shops serve the same purpose as food courts. For example look at just one block on Clement. There is a produce store, two dim sum shops, a meat/seafood market and a Chinese bbq place all on the same side of the street between 7th and 8th. One can walk over to 6th Ave for a specialty tea shop.
This is a good point. I like the dim sum counters in SF and I don't see too many of those in the South or East Bay.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:14 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Big supermarkets are pretty much a suburban phenomenon, as they require parking lots. This goes for specialized ethnic ones as much as any other.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:24 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,077 times
Most of the grocery stores in San Francisco proper...suck. I have a co-worker who lives in the Excelsior, and he always complains about how terrible the Safeway there is. My partner's family (in Ingleside) prefers to shop at 99 Ranch and Kukje in Daly City. H Mart isn't that much closer (assuming it ever opens). Pacific Super in the Outer Mission works in a pinch, but it's not that great. We'd rather drive up to Irving Street in the 20's to get produce and random household goods (but it's a longer drive than Daly City is!). There's Weee! delivery nowadays, and even 99 Ranch is getting into the grocery delivery business.

We are in and out of the 99 Ranch here in Richmond (Pacific East Mall) about as often as the one in Daly City, and I do like that the Richmond location is less crowded. I think the Daly City location is hoppin' because there isn't anything big and acceptably decent in SF. But who can afford SF these days? Just Whole Foods, LOL.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:54 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Most of the grocery stores in San Francisco proper...suck. I have a co-worker who lives in the Excelsior, and he always complains about how terrible the Safeway there is. My partner's family (in Ingleside) prefers to shop at 99 Ranch and Kukje in Daly City. H Mart isn't that much closer (assuming it ever opens). Pacific Super in the Outer Mission works in a pinch, but it's not that great. We'd rather drive up to Irving Street in the 20's to get produce and random household goods (but it's a longer drive than Daly City is!). There's Weee! delivery nowadays, and even 99 Ranch is getting into the grocery delivery business.

We are in and out of the 99 Ranch here in Richmond (Pacific East Mall) about as often as the one in Daly City, and I do like that the Richmond location is less crowded. I think the Daly City location is hoppin' because there isn't anything big and acceptably decent in SF. But who can afford SF these days? Just Whole Foods, LOL.
Whole Foods has gone through two price reductions since Amazon took over. They now have some of the best prices in town on certain items, and for members of Amazon Prime, it's even cheaper. Just saying. YMMV, I suppose...

Old 04-13-2021, 03:08 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Yeah, there's no shortage of big Asian grocery stores in the South or East Bay and the Peninsula has plenty too. I'm just baffled about the lack of them in SF itself. What I'm looking for are big marketplace type grocery stores, with food courts and specialty shops within the store. They don't necessarily have to be chains although some are. Nijiya in Japantown is probably the closest in SF to what I'm thinking of, but even that's more mid-sized than big. H-Mart has been coming soon since 2019, although hopefully it really is coming soon this time (even though that's basically on the border of Daly City.) I can usually find the produce I need at the corner markets but in general they don't really do it for me...nearly all of them close too early and to me they feel more small town than cosmopolitan big city.

I love Mitsuwa in San Jose which is worth making a special trip for (especially when they have food demonstrations, such as fresh Takoyaki!) I also like Koreana Plaza in Oakland which I used to take BART to. I haven't been to Pacific East Mall but will check it out next time I go out that way.

My Chinese tenants don't want to shop at a big box Asian grocery stores. There is a mom and pop Chinese grocery around the corner. There is Manila supermarket further down. They live just two exits from Daly City. But where do they go grocery shopping? Chinatown. Always Chinatown. The furthest from their home.

They prefer the Chinatown experience - to go from shop to shop. This is how they shopped back at motherland. Asia is full of mega cities - this is how you're supposed to shop in cities, godamnit - you walk the streets and all the little stores collectively form one big mega grocery store. Those big box stores are for suburbanites - they're not flexible - if the cabbage is not fresh, you are stuck with it or you drive to another big box store 10 mins away. In Chinatown, if the cabbage is not fresh, you go next door, and next door, until you find one that you like. Easy.

There is not more big box Asian grocery store in SF because there is not enough demand for one. Oceanview Supermarket's closure is an example.

Last edited by beb0p; 04-13-2021 at 03:16 AM..

Old 04-13-2021, 08:14 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Given SF’s demographics, why is there such a lack of big Asian Grocery Stores here? To me this is one of the most puzzling things about the city.

I have to go to Daly City for some place like 99 Ranch or Kukje. Most of the Asian Grocers in SF are corner stores. Even ones like New May Wah Are corner store-esque...just slightly bigger than the others. And they still close too early.

The only one I can think of that might qualify is Manila Oriental Market in the Outer Mission, but they are poor quality. H Mart has allegedly been about to open for the past two years but on Alemany Blvd which might as well be Daly City.

I’ve heard that it may be due to SF not being a big box type place...but that’s hasn’t stopped Safeway or Whole Foods from being everywhere.
There is also a lack of Super Markets in San Francisco. They require parking and thousands of underpaid employees, neither of which exist in the city. It always made me happy that there were none. Family operated business are the backbone of what makes it unique

Old 04-13-2021, 08:42 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
My Chinese tenants don't want to shop at a big box Asian grocery stores. There is a mom and pop Chinese grocery around the corner. There is Manila supermarket further down. They live just two exits from Daly City. But where do they go grocery shopping? Chinatown. Always Chinatown. The furthest from their home.

They prefer the Chinatown experience - to go from shop to shop. This is how they shopped back at motherland. Asia is full of mega cities - this is how you're supposed to shop in cities, godamnit - you walk the streets and all the little stores collectively form one big mega grocery store. Those big box stores are for suburbanites - they're not flexible - if the cabbage is not fresh, you are stuck with it or you drive to another big box store 10 mins away. In Chinatown, if the cabbage is not fresh, you go next door, and next door, until you find one that you like. Easy.

There is not more big box Asian grocery store in SF because there is not enough demand for one. Oceanview Supermarket's closure is an example.

This is so interesting. Shopping in Chinatown does, in a way, allow "expats" to "go home", if only for an hour or two.

This is how shopping used to be in parts of Europe, and maybe still is, in France. You go to the bakery, the butcher shop, the veggie stalls in your neighborhood. People take pride in having access to fresh food. So-called "convenience" is irrelevant. Besides, it's not inconvenient, if all of that is in your neighborhood, or on your route home from work. Plus, it allows some opportunity to socialize with the shop owners, who have known you since you moved into the neighborhood. It's a more personal experience, than at the supermarket. That human element counts for a lot, for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland