Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 07:01 PM

271 posts, read 306,772 times

Advertisements

We will be taking Uber to SFO from SF in a few days - leaving early about 4:30 am for a 6 am flight. We are 8 miles from SFO. I checked pricing and it was around $50 but then I booked early (3 days in advance) and it was around $25. Is that the fair price or will it surge once I get the service. Otherwise I may take a taxi for the 15 minute ride if the price is more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 07:41 PM

23,548 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Uber rates can go up, depending on demand for the service at the time. It’s called “surge pricing.”

I’ve taken Uber (and Lyft) to SFO several times and the rates quoted at booking, were the rates I paid. I’ve never had rates change during my ride.

From my experience, you’ll see surge pricing when you book via the app when demand is high.
And, the rates can change dramatically, and quickly, based on demand.

https://www.uber.com/us/en/drive/dri...w-surge-works/

Also, if you schedule in advance, your rate is locked in:

https://www.uber.com/us/en/ride/how-...heduled-rides/

Last edited by ccm123; 04-18-2021 at 07:50 PM..

Old 04-19-2021, 12:06 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,635 times
Your rate is locked in if you schedule ahead of time, but it doesn't guarantee you a ride. You'll still be at the mercy of finding a driver who is willing to take you at the time you want to go. So don't cut it close!

Uber is in the process of updating its service policies in California. Hopefully your trip will be after the name-your-price feature is turned off or you may never get a ride. Good luck! And if Uber falls through, there's always Lyft.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:16 AM

23,548 posts, read 24,049,201 times
One situation I’ve faced with early morning rides to the airport is a lack of a available Uber drivers. I use to take Uber at 4:00 AM for a 6:15 AM flight and there have been times (especially Sunday morning) where there were no drivers who answered my initial ride request.

I kept trying and eventually, a driver would take my ride request. I started leaving for the airport earlier (3:45 AM) to give me more time. I would arrive at the airport early and have coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland