Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 06:53 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

words from page 3:

-not much worth seeing
-city's slide downward
-homeless are everywhere
-too dangerous
-when crime picks up
-BART still requires masks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 07:00 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
words from the 1st 10 posts alone:

-expensive
-cars broken into
-gas close to $6/gal
-prices are up on everything
-added fees in restaurants
-out-of-control homelessness
-thuggery on BART
-BART is unsafe
Isn't all of the above the truth. Gasoline though is over $6.00+
BARF is more unreliable than a Jaguar old 60's XKE with delays galore, constant breakdowns, equipment failures. You are liable to catch some kind of disease, virus from the homeless and get into a fight with thugs and or robbed from the vermin on BARF. When you return to your car you will find it vandalized or hit. If it wasn't for Covid BARF would have increased the parking rates and fares so some good came out of that. But BARF will always be BARF. Too bad the government can't audit them, shut them down and put in new management. All of their funding goes to salaries of the employees including the useless BARF police.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:08 PM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
words from page 2 of posts:

-crime & homelessness are up
-smash and grab
-threat of violence is real
-tourists are specifically targeted
-susceptible to theft
That's mostly SF, though. The OP is asking about the Bay Area as a whole. I understood that she'd been a Berkeley student, and wanted to revisit her old stomping grounds, and enjoy the Bay Area in general. And I doubt, that someone who lived in Berkeley or wherever around the Bay would look like a tourist, when they came to visit.

In any case, OP doesn't seem to be following the thread at this point, as far as we can tell.

For trips to SF from Berkeley, there's always AC Transit. A bus from North Berkeley and one from south Berkeley/Claremong/Rockridge.

Old 05-27-2022, 05:06 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Isn't all of the above the truth. Gasoline though is over $6.00+
BARF is more unreliable than a Jaguar old 60's XKE with delays galore, constant breakdowns, equipment failures. You are liable to catch some kind of disease, virus from the homeless and get into a fight with thugs and or robbed from the vermin on BARF. When you return to your car you will find it vandalized or hit. If it wasn't for Covid BARF would have increased the parking rates and fares so some good came out of that. But BARF will always be BARF. Too bad the government can't audit them, shut them down and put in new management. All of their funding goes to salaries of the employees including the useless BARF police.
Since so many here have been saying the same things, I will conclude all the above is true. Thus, why would anyone want to visit San Francisco? As 1 poster added, the op wants to visit th entire Bay area, so I suggest they visit the Bay area, but avoid San Fran altogether.

I liked visiting San Fran ~20 years ago, & Sausalito/Tiburon across the bridge, but I'll never return for all the reasons cited. I saw some of it 20 years ago. One thing not mentioned here is the aggressiveness of the homeless beggers grabbing at you.....yuck! I started clinching my fist, & raising my arm partially to back the zombies off.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:39 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Since so many here have been saying the same things, I will conclude all the above is true. Thus, why would anyone want to visit San Francisco? As 1 poster added, the op wants to visit th entire Bay area, so I suggest they visit the Bay area, but avoid San Fran altogether.

I liked visiting San Fran ~20 years ago, & Sausalito/Tiburon across the bridge, but I'll never return for all the reasons cited. I saw some of it 20 years ago. One thing not mentioned here is the aggressiveness of the homeless beggers grabbing at you.....yuck! I started clinching my fist, & raising my arm partially to back the zombies off.
Well, there’s perfect reasoning in the internet social media age for ya: “I read it on the anonymous internet :. therefore it must be true …” … because anonymous internet posting ARE TRUTH! Lolololol.

As for you in SF, two things:

1. You’ve never been to California, let alone SF, except via trolling the internet …

2. If you ever were to go to SF … why would you walk through crowds of “aggressive homeless zombies” when they are so easily avoided? Your comments reek of ignorance of both SF and of the homeless (i.e.: why would aggressive homeless ‘zombies’ be afraid of your raised clenched fist and ‘back off’?) you don’t know squat except how to troll forums.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:14 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
why would aggressive homeless ‘zombies’ be afraid of your raised clenched fist and ‘back off’?) you don’t know squat except how to troll forums.
I think it's obvious. The one thing homeless people fear the most are keyboard warriors sitting in a garage pounding on a keyboard.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:43 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I think it's obvious. The one thing homeless people fear the most are keyboard warriors sitting in a garage pounding on a keyboard.
Yes, that’s been my observation as well after over 30 years of service interaction with homeless up and down the west coast …

Old 05-27-2022, 09:19 AM

102,187 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

People who want to go downtown (Union Square, say, and Chinatown, Geary for the art galleries, maybe the Museum of Fine Art in SoMa) avoid the Powell St. BART station, and get off at Montgomery, then walk to their destination. Some even get off at the Embarcadero, to explore that area, then walk up to the California St. cable car, to ride through Nob Hill, get off at Chinatown, or continue to the Fillmore, whatever. There are many options to explore areas around downtown, that don't involve bushwhacking through hordes of zombies.

And lest you treat us to another rant about "BARF", please note, that transbay travel from Rockridge station or north Berkeley or El Cerrito/Albany station, does not expose one to risk of muggings by opportunistic Oakland residents.

Old 05-27-2022, 09:54 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
IF the sun is out, the Legion of Honor museum is worth a visit in SF. ......rather stunning views of the Marin Headlands and the the entrance to SF Bay can be had from that museum's location. The museum has a rather impressive collection of art work and there in a cafe in the downstairs floor of the museum (cafe is not bargain priced) Museum is closed Mondays. SF does have it's share of problems and the argument can be made that the city could perhaps be doing a better job tackling these issues. But, often these fore mentioned issues are concentrated in certain neighborhoods/areas of SF. I actually live in SF vs some poster who might be living near a swamp in .....oh, FL for example.

https://legionofhonor.famsf.org/legi...opean-painting

Old 05-27-2022, 10:19 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I have heard nasty bad stories of San Francisco and California from ignorant/stupid people across the country since I can remember.
It really kicked up a notch when I did the army thing.
Lots of jealousy going on.
Simple people with nothing smarter to say for the most part.
They couldn’t all be stupid could they?
Maybe.

Even last week, I was talking to an old farmer in the sticks of Washington and he said “I heard lots of California is going to fall into the ocean” and he believed every bit of it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland