Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2024, 04:20 PM

165 posts, read 149,998 times

Advertisements

Hi City Data. I have some questions about Fairfield, CA. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Sacramento subforum since some online resources refer to Fairfield as being in a sub-region of the Bay area, although I've also heard it mentioned with other locations in northern central CA. I thought I'd try both and see where I get some responses.

By way of explanation, I moved to Lodi, CA from Los Angeles in August 2023 because I was hired to work in the River Delta area in 2 locations - Rio Vista and Isleton. I travel to both on various days of the week. Rio Vista and Isleton are both VERY small towns without all the amenities I like to have around me, so that's why I chose to move to Lodi, which was the closest larger town I could find with the amenities I'm looking for. I'm not fond of the commute, which is about 35-40 minutes each way, 5 days a week. But I had worse commutes in Los Angeles, so I'm dealing with it for now.

However, I'm still learning about this area of northern central CA, still making new discoveries. A co-worker recently mentioned Fairfield to me, so I started doing some research. From what I've learned so far, Fairfield is northwest of the River Delta area, northwest of Rio Vista and Isleton, approximately the same distance Lodi is from those towns, give or take a few miles. If I lived in Fairfield, it looks like it might shave off 5-10 minutes from my commute. I'd also be traveling southeast on Highway 12, rather than northwest as I'm doing now.

Aside from that information and that Fairfield has very dry, windy summers, I don't know anything else about the area. I'd love to hear from others who know the area better, have lived there, or live there now, or live/have lived nearby.

What are your opinions of Fairfield? What do you think about the weather, the climate? Cost of living? Is my assessment of the potential commute to the River Delta area accurate? I'd love to read anything you have to share. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 05:06 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
I live in the East Bay and I consider Fairfield to be on the outer fringes of the Bay Area. Since it is not close to the water, Fairfield does not get the moderating influence of the bay as much as cities like Oakland and San Francisco. So yeah, it does get hot in summer. Probably not quite as hot as Lodi, though.

Travis Air Force base is located there, so there is a military presence. That usually means diversity in the local population.

Since it is on the fringes of the Bay Area, I would expect prices to be at least as high as Lodi.

A shorter commute would be from Oakley/Antioch, but you'd have to pay a bridge toll everyday.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:10 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittle_star View Post
Hi City Data. I have some questions about Fairfield, CA. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Sacramento subforum since some online resources refer to Fairfield as being in a sub-region of the Bay area, although I've also heard it mentioned with other locations in northern central CA. I thought I'd try both and see where I get some responses.

By way of explanation, I moved to Lodi, CA from Los Angeles in August 2023 because I was hired to work in the River Delta area in 2 locations - Rio Vista and Isleton. I travel to both on various days of the week. Rio Vista and Isleton are both VERY small towns without all the amenities I like to have around me, so that's why I chose to move to Lodi, which was the closest larger town I could find with the amenities I'm looking for. I'm not fond of the commute, which is about 35-40 minutes each way, 5 days a week. But I had worse commutes in Los Angeles, so I'm dealing with it for now.

However, I'm still learning about this area of northern central CA, still making new discoveries. A co-worker recently mentioned Fairfield to me, so I started doing some research. From what I've learned so far, Fairfield is northwest of the River Delta area, northwest of Rio Vista and Isleton, approximately the same distance Lodi is from those towns, give or take a few miles. If I lived in Fairfield, it looks like it might shave off 5-10 minutes from my commute. I'd also be traveling southeast on Highway 12, rather than northwest as I'm doing now.

Aside from that information and that Fairfield has very dry, windy summers, I don't know anything else about the area. I'd love to hear from others who know the area better, have lived there, or live there now, or live/have lived nearby.

What are your opinions of Fairfield? What do you think about the weather, the climate? Cost of living? Is my assessment of the potential commute to the River Delta area accurate? I'd love to read anything you have to share. Thanks for reading.
I suggest looking at Suisun City for the best commute. There are some apartment complexes near the Raley's Supermarket on Sunset.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FURiXcauq6regb6J8

https://www.suisunwaterfront.com/eat-drink

The areas that are nice in Fairfield are in the northwestern part of the city. This means a longer commute to Rio Vista.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DDjuEHjPzVZqfbhu9

Fairfield has gone downhill since 2020. The Solano Town Center Mall used to be a nice mall. Now it is a ghost town mall.

There are some restaurants in downtown Fairfield and a farmer's markets on Thursdays during the summer. However there are also empty storefronts.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/rustwater-k...room-fairfield

Here is some more Fairfield info from a previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Vacaville and Fairfield are two of my favorite cities in the area! I always enjoy visiting them from San Francisco.

Vacaville is a great safe community with friendly people. It also has a lot of shopping. Probably too much shopping since their outlet mall is jammed on the weekends. My favorite Northern CA gym is also in Vacaville. Vacaville has a Sprouts Market and a Nugget Market for grocery shopping.

Unfortunately Vacaville is very hot especially from July to Sept. You would have a similar problem with heat in the Sacramento area with some 100+ summer temperatures. I would only recommend Vacaville if you are ok with a lot of heat.

Fairfield has a lot of nice homes in the northwestern part of the town. Fairfield is not as hot as Vacaville in the summer. When Vacaville is 99 degrees Fairfield might be 92. Fairfield also has some great ethnic food places. I recommend "Every Little Thing Jamaican" on Highway 12 and the Mediterranean Food Center in downtown Fairfield. Fairfield also has a Trader Joes.

Unfortunately Fairfield also has crime issues particularly around N. Texas St.

I suggest looking into Benicia. The advantages are much better weather and a reverse commute to Vacaville without paying a bridge toll.
Here is a Fairfield visitors guide.

https://visitfairfield.com/visitor-guide/

I think the biggest advantage of your potential move is easier access to the SF Bay area on the weekends.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:56 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
I personally don't think Fairfield is an upgrade from Lodi, it probably has more big box stores and a mall but not as nice of a downtown.

Central Fairfield isn't that nice and I would avoid living there. The outer areas on the other side of 80 and 680 (Cordelia) are nicer. Suisun City is nicer too.

Weather isn't that different except for probably the wind. If you're concerned about wind I'd avoid Cordelia.

Old 02-15-2024, 03:01 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
Fairfield is gonna be about 5 degrees or so cooler on summer days. Summer nights will be much nicer and breezy.

As long as no kids Fairfield is doable, and the people are probably more comparable to the types of people you find in Tracy. Some ghetto, but mostly middle class commuters on their wits end.

If you have kiddos I would look into Vacaville instead.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I suggest looking at Suisun City for the best commute. There are some apartment complexes near the Raley's Supermarket on Sunset.
Thanks, but I don't want to live in an apartment again. I left that life behind many years ago and never want to go back to it. I'm in a duplex now, which was also my last living situation in Los Angeles, and that's what I want to stick with, or a condo, until I can afford my own property. Thanks for the additional info on Fairfield, though. That's helpful.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Fairfield is gonna be about 5 degrees or so cooler on summer days. Summer nights will be much nicer and breezy.

As long as no kids Fairfield is doable, and the people are probably more comparable to the types of people you find in Tracy. Some ghetto, but mostly middle class commuters on their wits end.

If you have kiddos I would look into Vacaville instead.
I have no idea what Tracy's like. I've only lived in this area since August 2023 and have only spent time in Lodi and the locations where I commute to work. That's it. I know next to nothing about the rest of the area. Thankfully, I'm child free so I don't have kids to consider when/if I move.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
A shorter commute would be from Oakley/Antioch, but you'd have to pay a bridge toll everyday.
Some of my co-workers commute from Antioch and having done some Google research on the area, I've seen the bridge. My first thought when I saw it was "no, thank you." I have no interest on driving over that expanse.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:18 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Look at Dixon, driving time Dixon to Rio Vista is 32 minutes vs Fairfield to Rio Vista which is 28. Dixon is a far better place to live than Fairfield, it's safer, cleaner and you don't have to worry about getting car jacked.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:49 AM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Brentwood might be a doable commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland