Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 05:09 PM

16 posts, read 55,718 times

Advertisements

How hard is it to find rentals in SF that will allow a larger dog? I have a labrador retriever. I've been contemplating a move, but the difficulty will probably be finding places that would allow my dog.

For those big dog owners in the city, what are your experiences? What are some good areas to consider? Preferably, I'd like to be near a park, but my dog loves to walk no matter where it is. He loves people and other dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 05:58 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I have a medium-sized dog (38 lbs), and I'll be honest with you, it wasn't easy finding a rental!!! I ended up renting a house near the Bayview district, and got a pretty sweet deal... $2195 for 3 bedrooms & 2 baths, with a small fenced yard & two parking spots. I have to share it with roommates, since that's a bit much for me, but that was my only option. There are some dog-friendly apartments in the Tenderloin/Union Square, but they're too small for a large dog IMO - and not the safest part of town.

As for neighborhoods, I can suggest which ones are best for a dog, but that doesn't mean you'll find a rental. What is your budget, and are you willing to share housing? Without knowing that information or what's available, I'll suggest the following areas... Bernal Heights, Alamo Square, Mission-Dolores, outer Sunset & Presidio. These all have nice dog parks & dog-friendly recreation nearby, although you can honestly find that in MANY parts of SF.

Once you find a place to live, this city is surprisingly dog-friendly, and you can even bring them into most stores. FYI, my dog's (and my) favorite park is MacLaren Park in Visitacion Valley/Portola, but I'm not sure if you'd want to live there. I also like the dog park at St. Mary's in Bernal Heights, and Bernal Hill is really fun for them too. I'm not a big fan of Mission-Dolores Park, because it's too close to a busy street & not fenced-in. Anyway, search craigslist until your eyes turn red, and I wish you luck in your quest.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have a medium-sized dog (38 lbs), and I'll be honest with you, it wasn't easy finding a rental!!! I ended up renting a house near the Bayview district, and got a pretty sweet deal... $2195 for 3 bedrooms & 2 baths, with a small fenced yard & two parking spots. I have to share it with roommates, since that's a bit much for me, but that was my only option. There are some dog-friendly apartments in the Tenderloin/Union Square, but they're too small for a large dog IMO - and not the safest part of town.

As for neighborhoods, I can suggest which ones are best for a dog, but that doesn't mean you'll find a rental. What is your budget, and are you willing to share housing? Without knowing that information or what's available, I'll suggest the following areas... Bernal Heights, Alamo Square, Mission-Dolores, outer Sunset & Presidio. These all have nice dog parks & dog-friendly recreation nearby, although you can honestly find that in MANY parts of SF.

Once you find a place to live, this city is surprisingly dog-friendly, and you can even bring them into most stores. FYI, my dog's (and my) favorite park is MacLaren Park in Visitacion Valley/Portola, but I'm not sure if you'd want to live there. I also like the dog park at St. Mary's in Bernal Heights, and Bernal Hill is really fun for them too. I'm not a big fan of Mission-Dolores Park, because it's too close to a busy street & not fenced-in. Anyway, search craigslist until your eyes turn red, and I wish you luck in your quest.
Thanks for the input. I'm looking at about $2,500 for a one or two bedroom. I could go up to $3,000, but I don't want to get too crazy with rent. Maybe I might have to, if I can't find dog friendly landlords.

I'd prefer to be within the city. I've most of my life in the suburbs of LA and I think SF is the best west coast city.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:53 PM

OK, with that price range it should be easier to find a place... start with the neighborhoods I mentioned, but there are lots of others that would work. I'd personally say that Bernal Heights is the most dog-friendly neighborhood, as just about everyone has a dog there. They also have a great pet shop called Bernal Beast, where I frequently go, and most of the other shops allow dogs - there's even a cafe that allows them, AND has biscuits for their furry customers.

Or would you like to be near the beach? My dog LOVES going to the beach, and usually meets a ton of doggies there. If so, try looking in the Sunset, Richmond district, and Presidio. One of the most popular dog spots is Fort Funston, which is down in the southern end of the Sunset/Ingleside district. Only problem with those neighborhoods is that they're kinda far from downtown, if that matters... but there are light-rail & regular buses, which will get you there fairly quickly. You might also consider joining a dog social group, like Society Dog: Society Dog I think they're mostly centered around the South Bay, but do have events farther north. Have fun!!

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-06-2008 at 08:03 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 08:31 PM

Btw, the Parkmerced complex near SFSU allows dogs... I actually lived there back in 1994-95, and it was really nice at the time. Here's one of their listings, which is a rent-controlled unit: Renovated and Rent Control (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/737838572.html - broken link)
Might want to check that one out! I didn't see any current listings in Bernal Heights or Presidio, but there are plenty in the Sunset and Richmond district.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks Gizmo! That is really good information and I appreciate the links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland