Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:47 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer Eldritch View Post
If you want to avoid cold people and rushing everywhere then I wouldn't move to SF proper. The people in SF tend to be very cold and self-absorbed. This this is less the case in the cities that surround SF.
I'm going to co-sign on this one. I've always been pleasantly surprised at how warm and open people are on the upper peninsula, I grew up in the South Bay so cold and distant was what I was used to and it was more of the same in San Francisco. But then South San Francisco is a whole different story. Locals will strike up conversations with you at the bus stops or even in line at the grocery store (really surprised me first time that happened!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,056 times
Aloha All,

I've been reading and researching and was wondering if anyone has great knowledge on elementary schools in the surrounding SF area. Schools here in Hawaii aren't that good and my oldest is really into school and I need to pay attention to that. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:29 AM

9 posts, read 15,513 times
Thank you for all your responses. I truly appreciate it. It from my research it sounds like we might be more of a South Cal couple; however, I am still going to take the time to come out to San Fran, I have to say there is just something about SF.

Katimae - It so funny about the weather. Everyone is telling me its freezing there, but I keep thinking I've done Ithaca winters at -10 with 2-4 feet of snow on the ground from November to May (one year). So in my mind anything is better then that. Currently, in CT we have around 30 degree winters and they are mild with some snow. So when everyone says how cold it is in SF, it must be a "different" type of cold, like Ithaca is a different type of cold.

I think we would be okay with jobs. My boyfriend has gotten several job offers, mostly in San Diego, but we have been researching the move before entertaining any ideas.

Thank you all again.

Niki

Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n84p View Post

Katimae - It so funny about the weather. Everyone is telling me its freezing there, but I keep thinking I've done Ithaca winters at -10 with 2-4 feet of snow on the ground from November to May (one year). So in my mind anything is better then that. Currently, in CT we have around 30 degree winters and they are mild with some snow. So when everyone says how cold it is in SF, it must be a "different" type of cold, like Ithaca is a different type of cold.

You know, I said the same thing before moving out here. Winters are fine out here, it's cold, but you expect it. The thing that gets me is that it is ALWAYS cold here... even in the summer. Wearing a winter coat to watch fireworks on the fourth of July is just insulting. I must say the fog is a different kind of cold though. it goes right through whatever you are wearing and makes you feel cold and damp.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katimae View Post
You know, I said the same thing before moving out here. Winters are fine out here, it's cold, but you expect it. The thing that gets me is that it is ALWAYS cold here... even in the summer. Wearing a winter coat to watch fireworks on the fourth of July is just insulting. I must say the fog is a different kind of cold though. it goes right through whatever you are wearing and makes you feel cold and damp.
I like the fog. It's the constant 20 mph wind off the Pacific that kills me.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:56 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I like the fog. It's the constant 20 mph wind off the Pacific that kills me.
The wind is a killer too... I don't mind the fog unless I have to be out in it for an extended period of time (like a baseball game. The wind REALLY gets you at AT&T park

Old 08-14-2008, 05:11 AM

103 posts, read 366,973 times
Phuket Island, Thailand. Ripley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland