Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 14,641 times

Advertisements

Hello -

My family is looking to relocate to Northern CA within the next 8 months, we are a lesbian copule with 2 small children. We would like to live near public transportation, yet small town (walkable) area that would be safe for our family. We do understand that SF area is out of our price range (~$300K) for a home.

Any advices to where to live and gay friendly city/town around the bay area that we should consider.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM

153 posts, read 567,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt2alt View Post
Hello -

My family is looking to relocate to Northern CA within the next 8 months, we are a lesbian copule with 2 small children. We would like to live near public transportation, yet small town (walkable) area that would be safe for our family. We do understand that SF area is out of our price range (~$300K) for a home.

Any advices to where to live and gay friendly city/town around the bay area that we should consider.
Oakland/Clairmont area

Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Most of the surrounding Bay Area is very gay-friendly, and I don't see you having a problem in just about any town... Marin County is known to be a bit conservative, and when you get south of San Jose or in the extreme East Bay (more or less), they will also have a slightly more conservative environment. But even in those areas, I doubt anyone would raise a huge stink about your family being there.

I think Oakland is a good suggestion, although housing prices there are still pretty expensive... Berkeley would be terrific if your budget was higher, and Emeryville & El Cerrito/Albany could be possibilities too. You should also look around the North Peninsula (Pacifica, Daly City, SSF, San Bruno, etc), as you might get lucky with a foreclosure, considering the real estate slump we're entering. How big of a place are you looking for, and would you consider a condo/townhouse? Also, where (if) will you be working, and do you need to be within a certain distance of San Francisco? Good luck, and I'll give more suggestions when you answer those questions.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,381 times
Another vote for Oakland, if you're okay with somewhat urban. (There's a bit of a conflict in the Bay Area between small town and walkable/transit-accessible, as anything in the latter category has outgrown the former category.) But if you just mean small-town feel as in you can walk to the butcher, schools, and libraries and you run into lots of people you know in your travels--then Oakland could be for you. (I read somewhere once that there are more LGBT families with kids in Oakland than in any other city in the country, including SF!) The whole city is relatively LGBT-friendly, but neighborhoods that have lots of young gay and especially lesbian families right now include Temescal, Adams Point, parts of North Oakland, Dimond, and Laurel. There are more, I'm sure, that others can name. Dimond and Laurel in particular have good neighborhood elementary schools, too.

Not sure what you're hoping for sizewise, but you're right that $300K doesn't go very far around here. They do exist in most of the neighborhoods listed above (except Temescal, I think), but they're probably small bungalows that need a lot of work (or else are very near the freeway). You may luck out if you're willing to deal with a fixer upper, but you might also think seriously about renting a house as you get to know the Bay Area--the same monthly payment will buy you a much better neighborhood, and I think it will be a few years yet before prices start rising again, so you have some time.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
The area around Mills College in Oakland is known as a lesbian enclave since it's a female-only institution... and $300K will get you a nicely kept little house there.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 14,641 times
I am a telecommuter, therefore would not require to be anywhere. Is West Oakland a good place to look since they have very affortable housing there. How about San Jose?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:43 PM

153 posts, read 567,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkindred View Post
Oakland/Clairmont area
I suggested Oakland because it has a high lesbian population and there are nice neighborhoods that are very walkable. If you are lucky you may be able to find a spot close to the BART.

I think you mentioned West Oakland. I don't suggest that area.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 AM

655 posts, read 1,983,381 times
If you're telecommuting, I'd take a serious look at some East Oakland neighborhoods above the 580 but below the 13/24--Mills as someone mentioned might be good (less familiar with it but have one friend who lives there and enjoys it), Dimond, or Laurel might get you a place in your price range. You mention having young kids, so I would steer clear of West Oakland as the elementary schools are not so hot there. (Also, the plus to living in a neighborhood with lots of gay/lesbian families and a good neighborhood school is that there's a good chance that your kids will be in a class with classmates from a same-sex home....this doesn't work in neighborhoods like Temescal, where many families don't go to the neighborhood school.)

Old 09-06-2008, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt2alt View Post
Hello -

San Carlos is nice, small, and gay-friendly. San Mateo is a little less expensive, and a little bigger.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 PM

9 posts, read 33,555 times
If you don't mind living 1 to 2 hours noth ofrom San Francisco, think about Sabastopole or around Healdsburg. Dorothy Allison the celebrated author lives in the Russian River area.
Otherwise, most areas in the north, especially Berkeley is very gay friendly; however, these are not small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland