Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:03 PM

7 posts, read 52,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker View Post
So is political the USnews engineering ranking you proudly posted!

I didn't know Marconi, Volta, Galvani, Leonardo, Meucci were all Americans.

That's what those schools are. 4-year community colleges also known as continuation of high schools, commuter schools, etc.

Berkeley and Stanford don't belong to that group.
By 'it's political', I mean that it's not the medical institute's fault that people don't have insurance and have to pay thousand times as much as Europeans do to get a medical treatment. You misunderstood me. And how is the US News ranking political? It measures how difficult an institute is to get into, how much money they spend on research, how many people there have Nobel Prize, etc.

For one thing, I see hundreds of Italians who want to go to a college in the Bay Area, but not one American student I have seen wanted to go to a college in Italy.

Now, let's get back to the topic. Bay Area being lame and Asians being uncivilized.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 PM

60 posts, read 249,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askwise View Post
By 'it's political', I mean that it's not the medical institute's fault that people don't have insurance and have to pay thousand times as much as Europeans do to get a medical treatment. You misunderstood me. And how is the US News ranking political? It measures how difficult an institute is to get into, how much money they spend on research, how many people there have Nobel Prize, etc.

For one thing, I see hundreds of Italians who want to go to a college in the Bay Area, but not one American student I have seen wanted to go to a college in Italy.

Now, let's get back to the topic. Bay Area being lame and Asians being uncivilized.
That's because it would require learning another language (Italian in that case) which goes against the US Constitution. Why can Europeans speak several languages and Americans none? You know the answer.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askwise View Post

A friend of mine's daughter wanted to attend college in Italy.

I can't understand "striker"'s unreasonable hatred for the Bay Area.

There are good Asians, bad Asians, and in between Asians just like everyone else.

Striker may not have a preference for Asian women, and certainly someone from Italy would be used to "higher standards" of female beauty than exist in the US. However, that is a matter of individual taste, that is not to say that all Asians are uncivilized (which is blatantly racist - however that would have gone over well in the California of 100 years ago....maybe Striker would've preferred SF in the era of Boss Rueff and James Phelan....)

Old 02-26-2007, 11:25 PM

426 posts, read 1,737,372 times
Striker, honestly. Taking a foreign language now is absolutely required in our High Schools (although few continue it). I forgot most of my Italian (took it in college), and I enjoyed it a lot. But Americans (or British, etc) simply don't need to know another language. Most people in Italy or Europe for that matter speak conversational English. English is just such a huge, dominant language, it would be an unwise use of time to dedicate years of study to it, unless it something like Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc - which is often too stressful for many to learn.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Striker, honestly. Taking a foreign language now is absolutely required in our High Schools (although few continue it). I forgot most of my Italian (took it in college), and I enjoyed it a lot. But Americans (or British, etc) simply don't need to know another language. Most people in Italy or Europe for that matter speak conversational English. English is just such a huge, dominant language, it would be an unwise use of time to dedicate years of study to it, unless it something like Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc - which is often too stressful for many to learn.
I myself took French in high school and Spanish (and more French) in university.
Part of the reason why people from the USA at least (I can't speak for Britain, Canada, Ireland, or Australia) are often monolingual is not only the global dominance of English but the poor teaching of languages in our schools. My French teachers were rather lousy. (According to what other kids told me, however, my high school had a pretty great Russian teacher.) As I didn't take Spanish in high school I can't evaluate the teaching on that level, but on the university level most of my teachers were quite good.

I never did take Italian, but knowing French and Spanish I was able to figure out quite a few Italian words (the same goes for Portuguese)

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,786,674 times
I actually agree with Striker on this one, Americans should be required to learn other languages in school, mainly Spanish would be useful. High school courses are not good enough, we should teach it in elementary school.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
A friend of mine's daughter wanted to attend college in Italy.

I can't understand "striker"'s unreasonable hatred for the Bay Area.

There are good Asians, bad Asians, and in between Asians just like everyone else.

Striker may not have a preference for Asian women, and certainly someone from Italy would be used to "higher standards" of female beauty than exist in the US. However, that is a matter of individual taste, that is not to say that all Asians are uncivilized (which is blatantly racist - however that would have gone over well in the California of 100 years ago....maybe Striker would've preferred SF in the era of Boss Rueff and James Phelan....)

I didn't say the Asians here are uncivilized. I said, that most Asian countries are. It's not the same thing.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfist View Post
You sound exactly like the type of person native San Franciscans try to avoid at all costs: shallow Eurotrash whose best response is "you idiot". If you dont like Asians, Mexicans, gays and hippies, please, do us all a favor, and hurry on back to Milan (you know, the fashion capital of the world?!). This city is strictly for people who appreciate the diversty of its fabric (wasp's and all).
Amen. Striker's just as bad as some of the arrogant, racist euro-snob college students in Boston. Funny how he describes SF as being full of "ghetto ass Mexicans", yet he has never left South Beach. Miami is one of the most crime-ridden cities in the country once you leave "sophisticated" South Beach. Gotta love those racist European hypocrites. Striker, I do agree with you however that Silicon Valley is pretty boring. But honestly, what did you expect? Thank God most of us don't suck up to snobby "European" values.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensivecarebear View Post
Amen. Striker's just as bad as some of the arrogant, racist euro-snob college students in Boston. Funny how he describes SF as being full of "ghetto ass Mexicans", yet he has never left South Beach. Miami is one of the most crime-ridden cities in the country once you leave "sophisticated" South Beach. Gotta love those racist European hypocrites. Striker, I do agree with you however that Silicon Valley is pretty boring. But honestly, what did you expect? Thank God most of us don't suck up to snobby "European" values.
Oh sure, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Brickell, Key Biscayne, Star Island, Fisher Island, Midtown, Downtown, Bel Harbor, etc...all so ghetto!

Don't compare **** with chocolate, I mean SF with Miami. Enjoying "the best weather in the country" these days? It's raining and 44F. What a great weather city!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 PM

170 posts, read 285,957 times
Just so you know, "Striker" posted this in the Miami forums to try to stir up some s**t in there too. For whatever reason, he hates SF and thinks that the streets of Miami are paved with gold (this is not true at all).

Miami isn't a fraction of the city that SF is. In fact, this place is a dump and is the most overrated city in the world.

Don't believe what you see on TV - Miami isn't like Miami Beach at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland