Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:01 AM

29 posts, read 150,298 times

Advertisements

Hi, it's likely we'll be relocating to the Pleasanton/Livermore/Tracy area. My husband will be commuting at 6 in the morning, and is willing to live an hour away from work in Newark. Is Mountain House close enough? How are the schools? We can spend around $2200 a month for rent, which gets us a nice house in Mountain House, or an adequate but small apartment in Pleasanton/Livermore. I'm drawn to Pleasanton because of the good schools. I'd like to live in a family oriented community. But if the elementary schools in MH are just about as good and the commute is doable, I'm thinking it might be the way to go. Can someone tell me why I shouldn't live there?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 11:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
The first reason would be the Altamont Pass. Even at 6 you're going to discover the wonders of a 580 commute. Morning and evening.

If you can find something in Pleasanton you're going to have more time to spend with your family + you might be able to use BART to get to work.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 AM

29 posts, read 150,298 times
Thanks for the quick response! Just to clarify, my husband will be working a 24 hour shift, so he would only be commuting in the morning. I've heard about the 580 - that's definitely not a plus. But he's the one who would have to drive it. And if he's willing...

Old 12-06-2008, 12:27 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
Second reason would be, you're going to be driving into Tracy for everything from groceries to the post office to hospital care. They don't have a fire outpost either. Third would be that home prices in the Central Valley are in a freefall and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 PM

655 posts, read 1,984,128 times
Also, keep in mind that one of the reasons that rents in Mountain House are so cheap is that the community has been very, very badly hit by the foreclosure crisis. (Much of that is just due to bad timing and the transit thing not working out as they'd hoped it might---they built and sold most of the homes at the peak of the market so some insane percentage of them are underwater, versus other communities where developments were sold off over a number of years, or where there was older housing stock.) I would expect the housing crisis to continue to have devastating effects on the community and schools there. Of course, if you're renting you have the option of leaving if it gets really bad, but it's worth recognizing that you may well have neighbors who are in financial straits and may be surrounded by homes that are for sale or in foreclosure. (True in other parts of the state too, but the MH numbers on this are just staggering.) I suspect the city will also have to postpone or cancel the completion of many of the public amenities that aren't built yet to balance the budget as they lose property tax revenue.

I'd keep looking---I imagine you'll find something in that range in Pleasanton soon if not now, since housing costs are coming down there too.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 PM

36 posts, read 171,883 times
Although MH looks very nice and the houses are incredible, there is nothing there. no shops (I believe there is one but only one), there were plans of building a strip-mall but so far, development on that has not yet started. You will be living in the middle of nothing and as mentioned before: you have to drive to tracy for every little thing except the schools.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 PM

62 posts, read 250,098 times
Here's a recent article from the San Francisco Chronicle that might shed some more light on Mountain House.

'Town of tomorrow' weathers new reality and image (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/11/13/financial/f150459S33.DTL - broken link)

Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBound View Post
Hi, it's likely we'll be relocating to the Pleasanton/Livermore/Tracy area. My husband will be commuting at 6 in the morning, and is willing to live an hour away from work in Newark. Is Mountain House close enough? How are the schools? We can spend around $2200 a month for rent, which gets us a nice house in Mountain House, or an adequate but small apartment in Pleasanton/Livermore. I'm drawn to Pleasanton because of the good schools. I'd like to live in a family oriented community. But if the elementary schools in MH are just about as good and the commute is doable, I'm thinking it might be the way to go. Can someone tell me why I shouldn't live there?

Thanks in advance!!
Highway 580/The Altamont is why.
Onca you get to Livermore you can take 84 down past 680 to niles canyon instead of going 580/238 but it will take longer than an hour for sure not matter which way you go.

Sorry, it would take about an hour to get to livermore from newark.

It has taken me over an hour to get from Castro Valley to Livermore at 4pm

Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
I really would not want to live in a community where over 90% of the homeowners owe more on their mortgages than their house is worth. People are bailing and will continue to bail out of that community for a while probably and you will be living around the effects of that, abandoned/unoccupied homes generally bring bad elements to a neighborhood. BUT you can probably get a VERY good deal on a home there. Read that article another poster linked above from the SF Chronicle and that should tell you why you shouldn't move there if you want to live in a real, viable community.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:01 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I really would not want to live in a community where over 90% of the homeowners owe more on their mortgages than their house is worth. People are bailing and will continue to bail out of that community for a while probably and you will be living around the effects of that, abandoned/unoccupied homes generally bring bad elements to a neighborhood. BUT you can probably get a VERY good deal on a home there. Read that article another poster linked above from the SF Chronicle and that should tell you why you shouldn't move there if you want to live in a real, viable community.
This is pretty much why I wouldnt want to live in such a place. Although I can see the lure of lower prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland