Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 AM

495 posts, read 1,831,012 times

Advertisements

ESV, my inner psychic says you're not going to like PA. If you're used to Paris & Zurich....well. Nonetheless, I don't want to be negative and I do hope it works out. I could be wrong and I hope I am. Like you said you can always move again later.

What is DT? All of these acronyms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 PM
esv esv started this thread

6 posts, read 11,351 times
and thanks again Redwood, for the reply! :-)

DT=Down Town (I saw it somewhere, sorry if it was not very clear)

I also think we're going to have what's called a 'cultural shock' in many aspects moving to the States, and specifically in the suburbs like PA or MV. But Switzerland has been also quite boring place compared to a magic place like Paris!

Honestly.... I also think we'll move to SF eventually. Let's hope the commute is not that as bad as they say.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:07 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esv View Post

I also think we're going to have what's called a 'cultural shock' in many aspects moving to the States, and specifically in the suburbs like PA or MV. But Switzerland has been also quite boring place compared to a magic place like Paris!

Honestly.... I also think we'll move to SF eventually. Let's hope the commute is not that as bad as they say.
When my husband commuted from San Fran to Santa Clara he took Caltrain. It takes awhile but at least you don't have to wait in traffic. Plus on the train you can get stuff done. On days he drove he said it took about an hour and a half. But again, that's to Santa Clara which is much further than Palo Alto. In the end though, for us (I was driving to Napa everyday at the time) the commute was SO worth it because we got to live somewhere wonderful.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:

If you do end up choosing to live in SF, downtown might not be your best option. Coming from Switzerland, I'm assuming you're used to a very clean, relatively crime-free environment (am I correct?). Downtown might shock you a bit, particularly the Tenderloin or South of Market, if that is the case. South Beach is very nice though, and the greater downtown area can be nice, like Russian Hill or North Beach. You might want to check out neighborhoods outside of downtown when you're here and see what appeals to you most. If you're comfortable with what you see downtown, then you might love it! But I just thought you should be forewarned.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Quote:

Are you moving from work?

I wouldn't leave Paris!!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
esv esv started this thread

6 posts, read 11,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
When my husband commuted from San Fran to Santa Clara he took Caltrain. It takes awhile but at least you don't have to wait in traffic. Plus on the train you can get stuff done. On days he drove he said it took about an hour and a half. But again, that's to Santa Clara which is much further than Palo Alto. In the end though, for us (I was driving to Napa everyday at the time) the commute was SO worth it because we got to live somewhere wonderful.

Stacy, definitively I would preferred to take the train but unfortunately my job is really far away from the PA station (or any other CAL train station), so I definitively need to take the car no matter what. The question here is how long it takes from South SF (or another area in SF well communicated with the 101) to my job. But well, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
If you do end up choosing to live in SF, downtown might not be your best option. Coming from Switzerland, I'm assuming you're used to a very clean, relatively crime-free environment (am I correct?). Downtown might shock you a bit, particularly the Tenderloin or South of Market, if that is the case. South Beach is very nice though, and the greater downtown area can be nice, like Russian Hill or North Beach. You might want to check out neighborhoods outside of downtown when you're here and see what appeals to you most. If you're comfortable with what you see downtown, then you might love it! But I just thought you should be forewarned.
jman, when I was taking about DT (=Down Town) I meant of Palo Alto or Mountain View, so even if we live in the suburb, we can still have everything (shops, public transport, etc.) close by. We want to avoid as far as possible to take the car for everything. Any tips there!?? Which city to choooooose. MV is younger and PA more residential??? Still not clear!!

If on the other side, we choose to live in SF, as I said, probably would be in the south, to reduce as much as possible the commute time. But well, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Are you moving from work?

I wouldn't leave Paris!!

and Euros1! yes, defenitively is for work!! We didn't want to leave Paris but it's such an expensive city for a Postdoc and well, Switzerland was the right move 2 years ago to start a carreer in the private sector! And now, SF seems also a very interesting adventure (professionlly and personally)! But well,... we'll see

thank you ALL , really!! I start to feel the good californian vibrations and I'm not there yet! ha, ha....

Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
jman, when I was taking about DT (=Down Town) I meant of Palo Alto or Mountain View, so even if we live in the suburb, we can still have everything (shops, public transport, etc.) close by. We want to avoid as far as possible to take the car for everything. Any tips there!?? Which city to choooooose. MV is younger and PA more residential??? Still not clear!!
I see. Well downtown PA is more interesting IMO and has more to do, but downtown MV is nice too, and I think it would be better as far as public transportation goes. MV has Caltrain and VTA running through it, I believe. I think the PA Caltrain station is a short drive from downtown, but I could be mistaken. If public transportation is top priority I would choose MV, but if more shopping and food is of more importance PA might be your better option of the 2.

Either way, they're right next to each other so with a car, or even a bicycle, both would be manageable. Good luck with whichever one you end up choosing! I hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland