Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 02:29 AM

6 posts, read 30,943 times

Advertisements

hi all,
I will be moving to the bay area this fall and I will be working in the city near the ferry building. my roommate, however, will be starting law school at UCB. I would really like to take public transit into work every day... do you have any suggestions on where we can live that would be close to public transit into the city and to UCB and that's safe to walk around at night? We are both girls so safety is a huge issue. I have a car but I don't want to drive it everyday. Our rent range is probably around 2000 for a 2 bedroom or 3000 for 3 bedroom. Also, if we go out on weekends into the city, does the train still come back late at night? or should we be taking taxis, if so how much would it be? ANY suggestion would help! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 04:13 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,982 times
Live near one of these BART stations: North Berkeley (safest but furthest from SF and stuff to do). Downtown Berkeley (most dangerous but closer to the action of Berkeley and closer to SF than N Berkeley). Rockridge in Oakland (crime level is between the two Berkeley stations, is closest to SF and close to shops and stuff including a trader joes.) There are a few AC transit transbay buses that run all night at 1 hour intervals after midnight, which is about the time BART stops running. If you are going to take the transbay back home, I'd advise you not to wait at the transbay terminal in SOMA because it's just sketchy there at night. Wait for the bus on market around the FIDI district and not too close to Powell. You will be able to find places near all three of the mentioned BART stations in your price range. Rockridge and North Berkeley will be pricier than Downtown Berkeley.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 AM

For crime incidents in Oakland, check out this crime map:Oakland Crimespotting and CrimeView Community Incident Map

For crime incidents in Berkeley, check out their PD crime map: CrimeView Community Incident Map

Old 01-20-2009, 04:20 AM

Or you can live in SF and have your friend commute to school on BART. I am not too familiar with the hoods near the Ferry Building.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 30,943 times
unfortunately living in SF is out of the question since commuting for work is easier than commuting for law school. Does anyone know what the commute is like from North Berkeley to UCB and from North Berkeley to the ferry building? What's there to do in North Berkeley? We're in our early 20s and would like to go out ... suggestions?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
My piano teacher lived near the North Berkeley station. There is nothing nearby except residential neighborhoods. You'll want to live in the downtown area, or alternately, near the Ashby station which has a lot of shopping nearby.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
I used to live 4 blocks south the N. Berkeley BART station and used to walk to work downtown Berkeley 8 blocks.
The two areas are right next to eachother so that's not really a huge distance issue.
It is busier in general downtown and personally I always thought Berkeley's downtown was one of the fugliest I've ever seen.. too many bad architecture decisions....but I digress.
Commuting on BART to SF is easy peasey esp. if you are only going to the Ferry Building and Embarcadero area anyway.
There is nightlife in Berkeley along Shattuck/College/Telegraph Ave. mostly which is nearer to campus than the N. Berk. BART station...There are plenty of restaurants in the N.Berkeley area otherwise known as "the Gourmet Ghetto" but it's great food, not necessarily the party atmosphere you are looking for!
But the coming back from SF at night you are stuck with the BART system schedule. Unless you plan on driving.
Downtown Berkeley is a bit sketchier at nighttime, since the drunken aggressive panhandler types don't really frequent N. Berkeley much.
It's not that it's crime ridden really just more occaisionally annoying and certainly stinky!
For better housing details see:
Berkeley Parents Network: Housing, Neighborhoods, & Moving

ignore that it's a "parents" and "families" site....it is RICH with info on the hood and housing, and you may easily snag a great rental there since it's not the standard craigslist type thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland