Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:06 PM

7 posts, read 38,486 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I am living in the bay area this summer and I am trying to figure out where I should live if I my job is in downtown Oakland. I don't want to spend more than like $2000 a month on rent.

I have a friend in Pacific Heights who said I could live with him but is that practical considering where my job is? I have a car but as I understand it mass transit is really a better way to get around.

I really don't know much about the Bay Area and I could really use some advice! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,313 times
Downtown Oakland has a number of BART stations so anywhere in the Bay Area that is convenient to BART is good. If you have parking at work or don't mind taking the bus then Alameda is nice and very convenient. There are some nice places to live in Oakland as well. Some hints on how you would want to spend your off-hours would help folks tailor a better answer for you.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:59 PM

I'm a 24 y/o single male.

I drink a lot and mingle a lot. I am a food and wine snob. I'm not a huge club person per se but I would like to be within Spanish walking distance of both trendy/cool bar and a dive bar. A neighborhood with some character is preferable above one without. Safety is important to me but I'm a bit of a meathead...so people tend to leave me alone.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,313 times
Based on that I might discount Alameda - more of a family town. There are a number of Oakland neighborhoods that fit the bill perfectly (Lakeshore/Grand, Piedmont Ave., Rockridge). Also areas in Berkeley around the campus. Can't comment specifically on SF, but there are undoubtedly quite a number of neighborhoods there that would work. Finding parking for your car there might be a problem.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,697 times
Higher in the hills=higher rent. Berkeley is cool. Parking is probably not.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Public transit is a better way to get around within San Francisco, but not from deep within SF to Oakland due to the high cost of BART. If you can get parking in the deal, I'd take the place in Pac Heights and drive.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:45 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
I'd agree with Sonarrat. Unless you don't want to impose on your friend, it really would be a better time for you. It's a beautiful area and parking costs won't cost you as much as an apartment/parking will cost you in Oakland. If you stay with her, will you chip in for rent?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Yes, with BART, mass transit is definitely the way to get into and out of DT Oakland for work-unless you dont mind looking for parking and then having to pay for it.

BART has the most parking spaces of any Transit Agency in the US and probably the world-true.

I wouldnt impose on your friend but depending on your tastes, look for areas that are along BART lines that are within your budget.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I'd agree with Sonarrat. Unless you don't want to impose on your friend, it really would be a better time for you. It's a beautiful area and parking costs won't cost you as much as an apartment/parking will cost you in Oakland. If you stay with her, will you chip in for rent?
He owns the place so I'd be staying for free.

Cost really isn't the issue for me as my employer is dealing with a lot of it. It is really more about what will be convenient as far as working in downtown oakland.

I would love to live with my friend but if it is going to eat up a bunch of my time I can't do it.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,189 times
It won't be as convenient, but it's certainly workable. You will probably need to drive or bike to BART, so find out what your options are for parking on both ends. (If you're paying for parking on both ends, you could cancel out many of the cost savings.) Commuting to the East Bay from Pac Heights on transit is not especially convenient, sadly, and can be expensive. Traffic is also painful if you have standard work hours, but if you can commute during off hours (basically, avoiding 7-9 am and 4-7 pm), it's a pretty quick ride. In theory it's a reverse commute but in practice it's still ridiculously trafficky.

The most convenient places to live for a downtown commute would be Rockridge (3 BART stops), Old Oakland or Uptown (walkable), SF's Mission (6-7 stops), and Grand Lake or Piedmont Avenue (quick bus ride in, but not especially close to BART if you anticipate going into the city often).

If you plan to spend most of your spare time and weekends in SF, I'd look at the neighborhoods near the Mission BART stations (16th & 24th). If you're open to hanging out in the East Bay (where there are also lots of great bars, restaurants, etc.) I'd start in either Rockridge (if you want BART) or Grand Lake (if you don't care). A lot will depend on your budget, though.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland