Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM

35 posts, read 115,426 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been exploring CA in my r.v. for about 6 weeks. I'm looking to relocate from TX. I've narrowed it down to a few possibilities in San Francisco. I'd love some input.

Oak at Clayton near Haight.
Geary at Spruce near Laurel Heights.
Lincoln Way at 46th in Outer Sunset.
20th at California near Richmond, southwest Presidio.
19th at Moraga near Golden Gate Heights.

I'm looking for a fun, friendly neighborhood. It doesn't need to be too quiet, but I'd rather not have rowdy neighbors still partying at 3 a.m. I'd like to be fairly close to parks and the ocean. I want to be safe walking my dogs at night. I've enjoyed Haight Ashbury for the alternative vibe and attitude when I've visited in the past. But I'm not sure what it would be like actually living there.

The other options I've been looking into are Pacifica. I camped out there for a week or north bay. I've been camping in Petaluma for a few weeks, but it's too far from San Francisco. Any thoughts on Novato, San Rafael, etc.

Thanks a million for any feedback!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
While I've been near some of the other locations, the one I know best is California and 20th. Depending on what you're looking for, that's a great location. You'll be within easy walking distance of both China and Baker Beaches (China Beach is my all time favorite!), as well as of course the rest of the Presidio. The location is quiet, but you'd still be within easy walking distance of a lot of things (and tons of restaurants) - Clement in the 20s has a lot of options, and Geary (two blocks from Clement) has even more. California itself in that stretch has a couple of markets, some laundromats, a deli, some restaurants, a coffee place, a very nice pet store, among other things. I don't know where you're working, but the California bus is a great line and heads straight downtown. You can also very easily go over to Geary and get the 38 (or one of the 38 expresses) for another straight shot downtown. It's also not that far of a walk to Golden Gate Park. The neighborhood itself is very safe, and has a mix of people of all ages. Ethnically-speaking there's a large Chinese and Russian population in the neighborhood. I really enjoy the neighborhood, and think that it's definitely "fun and friendly." It's not as convenient if all of your friends live over in the Mission or somewhere else on the other side of the city, but there's certainly plenty of things to do (especially if you like eating out!) to keep you busy on this part of town.

Lincoln at 46th has some things around it, but it's pretty quiet and I think it's foggier and colder than the Richmond option.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
The last three would be the OP's best bet. The one on 20th would be the most expensive, then the one on 19th then the one at 46th. Note on 46th, pockets out that way are still a bit rough on the edges, years ago the outermost Sunset was even a tiny bit ghettoesque (I believe due to fog ... which made it cheaper, etc). If it were me and money were no object I'd go for the one on 20th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland