Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 AM

53 posts, read 176,058 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job in Oakland. I am jobless in this moment, live in Fl where I am miserable. I have money to buy an apartment/house.
My humble questions are : should I, even if I am not obtaining the job, move to Oakland, or other place in CA ? I lived before on the East coast, it is wonderful but the winters are harsh. Do you believe CA will continue to go down in the next 5 (10) years ? I am a woman in my fifties who likes art and open minded people, (I am not taking about drugs etc, I am just accepting other opinions with a smile, not a judgment). I would like to live in a city where I can walk, I am not in driving very much.
Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
California is the driving capital of the world. Just kidding, I don't really know. When I went for vacation, there were lots traffic jams, and I had to drive everywhere. I was around the Oakland area, but I didn't get a chance to go into Oakland. I think you will like it, though. At the time I went the housing was REALLY expensive and I was pretty upset with that. One of my friends showed me the "bad" areas and the "good" areas. They all looked nice to me and they were ALL overpriced. I think you will like it, though. The weather is generally pleasant to cool. BUT: 1. Buy a car. I have had good luck with cars.com over here in MD. There are lots of areas you might like to visit, and in CA I think it's like FL and you pretty much NEED a car. 2. Rent an apartment or a room in a house before you buy.

I think in CA home prices could go either way. You may miss the boat on the "first time homebuyer" if you qualify, but prices may also go down next year. TAXES will probably go up either way, though. I say rent a house, and see if you can get month-to-month or 3-6 month lease so you can take a look around.

Get a convertible if you can, and maybe that will make the driving a little more enjoyable.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Parade Magazine printed a story stating Oakland CA has the best climate in the entire USA for 2 months of the year based on number of heating and cooling days in the U.S.

I'm sure the weather will not be a problem...

Oakland has homes selling for a third of what they sold for 2 to 3 years ago... all depends on what you are looking for...

Oakland is central in the Bay Area and is the home of BART letting you get into the city, South Bay and East Bay.

I would rent first... why tie yourself down?

Old 09-06-2009, 02:41 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
I hope you like gangs and liquor stores.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I'm third generation Oakland... never been around gangs or liquor stores...

Oakland has a population over 400k... there is something for everybody

Old 09-06-2009, 10:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I have lived in both LA and San Francisco without a car, and was able to walk to pretty much everything I needed in both cities (and get to work on bus or train). You can also live in Oakland without a car; many people do. One benefit about California's cities compared to some of the more northern east coast cities is that you can easily walk year-round; LA (although not SF) can get very hot at times, but at least you don't have to worry in either place about tromping through slush and ice and piles of snow.

I wouldn't move to California without a job right now, although depending on what you mean by saying you have money to buy a place (does that mean you have enough cash on hand to buy a place in the Bay Area right now and not have to worry about covering mortage payments if you don't have a job?) the no-job thing might not matter. If you have a LOT of money and can afford to live in California for potentially a long time without work then you might as well move. If, on the other hand, you need the money, then I'd weather the economic storm somewhere else. The job situation in California is rough right now, and coupled with a high cost of living you could burn through your savings pretty quickly while you look for work.

You didn't ask for opinions on this, but I also suggest that if you do get the job in Oakland that you rent first; why rush to buy if you don't know the area?

Old 09-08-2009, 12:57 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm third generation Oakland... never been around gangs or liquor stores...

Oakland has a population over 400k... there is something for everybody
Yeah, Oakland doesn't have any riff raff at all

Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,918 times
Oakland has an extremely high crime rate, at one point it was the 5th deadliest city in America, so I hope you like continuously looking over your shoulder for a mugger, gang member, and like see liquor stores on every corner instead of starbucks.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
Oakland has an extremely high crime rate, at one point it was the 5th deadliest city in America, so I hope you like continuously looking over your shoulder for a mugger, gang member, and like see liquor stores on every corner instead of starbucks.
Oakland does have a high crime rate... it is a city with over 400,000 people and is often a release point for ex-cons...

As the fourth generation of those in my family to call Oakland home... I'm here to say I don't even look over my shoulder sometimes and the nearest liquor store is almost 2 miles away in in San Leandro... by the way, I think Starbucks is over rated... there are 3 within 4 blocks of where I work.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-16-2009 at 11:33 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Yo mama's gang is the worst one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland