Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 05:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
This bloggers kind of a douche but it seems to be a common stereotype about SF.

10 Reasons Why San Francisco’s Women Are Worse Than Toronto’s
This blog post is pretty terrible (do people really use the word "game" like that in real life...my goodness, this guy just makes me want to punch him...and that comment section is terrible).

And a few of his "complaints" are actually things I love about Bay Area girls. I love a girl that is into fitness, hiking and challenging themselves. I love that Bay Area girls have a big appreciation for nature. If she can keep up with me on the trail, that's pretty awesome. I don't want a girl that is lazy and has no ambition. Maybe I'm the weirdo, I don't know.

Also, many of his other complaints aren't very SF-specific as they're more generational things that are endemic to young and single people living in trendy urban cities (that I've encountered well before coming to SF).

Cell phone usage - generational - I've only seen this once, but I once saw two people on their cell phones walk literally right into each other on the street - and this was in NYC. I know people think it's "worse" here, but I honestly don't see a meaningful/significant difference between people my age in SF vs. Boston, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, or other large/trendy cities in the US when it comes to cell phone usage. We're all freaking addicted (and yea, it's not great).

Flakyness - I know this seems more prevalent on the west coast, but I've encountered a lot of this in NY and Boston, too. I honestly don't see any big difference, on the whole. People are freaking busy everywhere these days...It might just be people my age again, not sure.

Herd mentality - this guy has obviously never been to Boston. For a long time, I thought all girls got some memo in the mail because it seemed like the official outfit at the time was Ugg boots, black leggings and a north face jacket. Again, don't see this as being SF-specific...

There are a few stereotypes on there that he kind of gets at, but I think they're not really female-specific (a lot of people really only online date these days, and it's definitely not a SF-specific thing, either).

Either way, this doesn't make girls in SF not attractive. Maybe this guy is just into different kinds of girls.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:57 AM

628 posts, read 819,287 times
Many of the Bay Area girls are fugly. You coming from the Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami South Beach Area are going to be disappointed. Try Socal.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 AM

336 posts, read 411,946 times
I don't feel like reading through this whole thread cause I'll get more and more annoyed but stumbled on this post and having lived and traveled in so many U.S. cities first thing that went through my head was, "Definitely go to Chicago or Southern California!!" OP doesn't sound Bay Area to me at all!

Old 06-04-2015, 03:29 PM

505 posts, read 368,955 times
If you're a white guy with yellow fever, then SF is for you.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Not even gonna bother reading this whole post because the obvious answer is they don't. The Marina...MAYBE. The Asian woman are somewhat attractive. But the hottest all ethnicities in CA live in LA.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:49 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
This blog post is pretty terrible (do people really use the word "game" like that in real life...my goodness, this guy just makes me want to punch him...and that comment section is terrible).

And a few of his "complaints" are actually things I love about Bay Area girls. I love a girl that is into fitness, hiking and challenging themselves. I love that Bay Area girls have a big appreciation for nature. If she can keep up with me on the trail, that's pretty awesome. I don't want a girl that is lazy and has no ambition. Maybe I'm the weirdo, I don't know.

Also, many of his other complaints aren't very SF-specific as they're more generational things that are endemic to young and single people living in trendy urban cities (that I've encountered well before coming to SF).

Cell phone usage - generational - I've only seen this once, but I once saw two people on their cell phones walk literally right into each other on the street - and this was in NYC. I know people think it's "worse" here, but I honestly don't see a meaningful/significant difference between people my age in SF vs. Boston, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, or other large/trendy cities in the US when it comes to cell phone usage. We're all freaking addicted (and yea, it's not great).

Flakyness - I know this seems more prevalent on the west coast, but I've encountered a lot of this in NY and Boston, too. I honestly don't see any big difference, on the whole. People are freaking busy everywhere these days...It might just be people my age again, not sure.

Herd mentality - this guy has obviously never been to Boston. For a long time, I thought all girls got some memo in the mail because it seemed like the official outfit at the time was Ugg boots, black leggings and a north face jacket. Again, don't see this as being SF-specific...

There are a few stereotypes on there that he kind of gets at, but I think they're not really female-specific (a lot of people really only online date these days, and it's definitely not a SF-specific thing, either).

Either way, this doesn't make girls in SF not attractive. Maybe this guy is just into different kinds of girls.
Luckily I'm married already, and I can't recall if I replied to this long thread already or not - but I actually agree with the blog quite a bit. While you state that certain aspects aren't specific to SF, I will actually agree with you there. However, the difference between SF and other places is that it's easier to find women that don't fit those stereotypes elsewhere. Pretty much every woman I've met in SF of all age groups fall into the above complaint categories, so I don't believe it's as generational here as you'd believe.

I don't have a problem with women that are into fitness and hiking and things of that nature, but pushing those to the extreme seems to be the norm here, because it's all about pushing EVERYTHING to the extreme here for most people regardless of gender. I like a good workout or hike occasionally, but it's not my entire life and I don't plan my day around those things like so many people do here. It's part of being a Type A personality. I'm NOT a Type A, and thus I find it difficult to find people I can relate to here. It also makes it difficult to change jobs when I'm pushing 40 and am over the 50+ hour work weeks.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:12 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Luckily I'm married already, and I can't recall if I replied to this long thread already or not - but I actually agree with the blog quite a bit. While you state that certain aspects aren't specific to SF, I will actually agree with you there. However, the difference between SF and other places is that it's easier to find women that don't fit those stereotypes elsewhere. Pretty much every woman I've met in SF of all age groups fall into the above complaint categories, so I don't believe it's as generational here as you'd believe.

I don't have a problem with women that are into fitness and hiking and things of that nature, but pushing those to the extreme seems to be the norm here, because it's all about pushing EVERYTHING to the extreme here for most people regardless of gender. I like a good workout or hike occasionally, but it's not my entire life and I don't plan my day around those things like so many people do here. It's part of being a Type A personality. I'm NOT a Type A, and thus I find it difficult to find people I can relate to here. It also makes it difficult to change jobs when I'm pushing 40 and am over the 50+ hour work weeks.
I don't know, I've lived pretty much most of my life elsewhere, and I find the differences that people claim to exist to be minimal, if present at all. Most of his complaints are very generational. NY and Boston are very similar for many of these things.

I think this stuff is completely blown out of proportion.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:25 PM

629 posts, read 619,932 times
After living here for 4 years, and spending a couple hours today watching sports from other parts of the country and seeing the crowds of beautiful women, I realize I forgot what it's like to be around women who let themselves look effeminate.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Same goes for the guys. I always told my Bay Area friends how ugly I found all the guys (I'm gay) and they said I was being too picky or they took it personally that I was attacking their city. Now that they've been traveling more and some have moved to SoCal and the East Coast, they finally believe me. There's a few hot people in the Bay, but overall, it's one of the ugliest cities I've ever been to.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:26 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post

That simply isn't humanly possible. I have friends living in SF who don't fit into those categories. In fact, none of the women I know who live in SF fit into those categories. The article is just a rant. And how can people go around planning their days around hiking? That makes no sense. Nobody does that, you're simply wrong. If you're talking about people's gym schedules, then everyone I know (men included, of course) has a schedule, because they need to fit the gym in between work and dinner or evening activities. That's normal, and unavoidable. Are you really complaining about people scheduling their gym workouts, or their after work run? That's not an extreme. That's just about having a weekly routine. What kinds of things do people, in your perception, push to an extreme? Maybe you could provide some better examples than a couple of weekly workouts at the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland