Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Katie Couric seems to think so.

Here's the link to Forbes...
Katie Couric Picks The Seven Most Powerful People In Media - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 07:30 PM

106 posts, read 288,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

The self-congratulatory "stories" and wishful conclusions that come out of these SF-centric publications make me laugh.

Answer: No. SF is not and will never be the media capital.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
The self-congratulatory "stories" and wishful conclusions that come out of these SF-centric publications make me laugh.
Forbes is a SF-centric publication? That makes me laugh.

Quote:
Answer: No. SF is not and will never be the media capital.
LOL....well apparently its become a major force in the industry. Who knew?

Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
"Media" is a charitable term; it's all entertainment

Largest individual shareholder in Disney (LA's most valuable entertainment co.) is Mr. Jobs (from his sale of Pixar to Disney)

Most of entertainment industry is HQ'd (in terms of owners) in Manhattan, with a bunch of >>60yo Luddite codgers like Murdoch, Redstone, Diller, etc who can barely use a cell phone (check out what '90s phones they use; it's amusing stuff), let alone understand Net/email

Reality is far more IQ and wealth resides/works in Woodside or PaloAlto/Menlo than any of the classic Luddite places for entertainment industry crowd like BH or Manhattan

Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
That's funny. What makes me laugh uncontrollably is reading a New Yorker's remarks where they're taking issue with self-congratulatory stories. Or even the concept of being self-congratulatory LOL. Oh, the irony. I can't think of a single place in the world that could even qualify as a decent runner-up to being as self-congratulatory as New York.

Sorry NYC, you are great but you are NOT the "center of the universe" as some of you would love to believe, and other places excelling shouldn't threaten you so. LOL.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Forbes: The 7 Most Powerful People In Media
1 Sergey Brin & Larry Page
Founders, Google(Google also owns YouTube)

2 Julius Genachowski
Chairman, FCC

3 Arianna Huffington
Co-founder, The Huffington Post

4 Jory Des Jardins, Camahort Page and Lisa Stone
Founders, BlogHer

5 Craig Newmark
Founder, Craigslist

6 Biz Stone and Evan Williams
Founders, Twitter

7 Mark Zuckerberg
Founder, Facebook

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/09/goo...hisSpeed=15000

5 are Bay Area people. Grain of salt obviously but still, interesting.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Its crazy. This topic sounds pretty far fetched, but given that print newspapers seem to be on life support right now and the internet has become the #1 source for media info nowadays, there might actually be something to this. I wouldn't single the Bay out as the "Media Capital" quite yet, but it is the capital of what is becoming the most important form of media. So it does qualify as a co-capital in a way.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Forbes: The 7 Most Powerful People In Media
1 Sergey Brin & Larry Page
Founders, Google(Google also owns YouTube)

2 Julius Genachowski
Chairman, FCC

3 Arianna Huffington
Co-founder, The Huffington Post

4 Jory Des Jardins, Camahort Page and Lisa Stone
Founders, BlogHer

5 Craig Newmark
Founder, Craigslist

6 Biz Stone and Evan Williams
Founders, Twitter

7 Mark Zuckerberg
Founder, Facebook

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/09/goo...hisSpeed=15000

5 are Bay Area people. Grain of salt obviously but still, interesting.
I agree, this is interesting. Of course I predict a swift hater bombardment as a result of posting something positive about SF/the Bay Area as there is nothing more that angers some of these tools than trying to shed some light on things out here, but it comes with the territory. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:03 PM

377 posts, read 588,944 times
Bay Area is most definitely a high tech media capital. But media (to me) also means publishing, tv studios, radio, film production, etc. NY has a lock on that simply because it's been around for so long.

Los Angeles used to be the Entertaiment Capital of the the world, (And SF too for a time back in the 60s and 70s aka American Zoetrope and the hippy movement) but due to high taxes and other government regulations, all that stuff is being farmed to Vancouver or overseas... California is not really the state to give incentives to companies to want to develop.

Of course, ILM is all over the Presidio, that's pretty significant in itself.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 AM

106 posts, read 288,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
"Media" is a charitable term; it's all entertainment

Largest individual shareholder in Disney (LA's most valuable entertainment co.) is Mr. Jobs (from his sale of Pixar to Disney)

Most of entertainment industry is HQ'd (in terms of owners) in Manhattan, with a bunch of >>60yo Luddite codgers like Murdoch, Redstone, Diller, etc who can barely use a cell phone (check out what '90s phones they use; it's amusing stuff), let alone understand Net/email

Reality is far more IQ and wealth resides/works in Woodside or PaloAlto/Menlo than any of the classic Luddite places for entertainment industry crowd like BH or Manhattan
LOL, another poor delusional soul from the Bay Area with small-man's complex. More IQ and wealth in pedestrian Woodside/Palo Alto than Manhattan? I literally LOL'ed at that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
That's funny. What makes me laugh uncontrollably is reading a New Yorker's remarks where they're taking issue with self-congratulatory stories. Or even the concept of being self-congratulatory LOL. Oh, the irony. I can't think of a single place in the world that could even qualify as a decent runner-up to being as self-congratulatory as New York.

Sorry NYC, you are great but you are NOT the "center of the universe" as some of you would love to believe, and other places excelling shouldn't threaten you so. LOL.
You also show signs and symptoms of delusions. New York City is not and has never been the "center of the universe", who said that? A bunch of tourists/wide-eyed newly minted transplants from places like SF? Me bringing you back to reality re: this silly delusion of grandeur that the Bay Area is media capital (because Katie Couric said so! ..even though she really didn't) shouldn't be misinterpreted as Bay Area bashing. I just live in a place called reality.

You seem blithely unaware of the term media. To the enlightened, not strange, borderline hyper-geek-freaks with an apparent social disorder like poster "hsw" who would probably be an outcast outside of he/she/it's Geeks of Silicon Valley "scene" - media encompasses things like radio, film, publishing, television, not just "tech" and San Francisco clearly is no media capital.

New York threatened by San Francisco? What's next, threatened by Dallas, Minneapolis? If anything, New York should feel somewhat threatened by London and a few Asian cities, but San Francisco? LOL, wishful thinking... how cute. Sort of reminds me of this:

Inspiration is nice and all, but let's not go overboard.

Last edited by CL63; 11-14-2009 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland