Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,830 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have recently relocated to California from the midwest. Currently we are renting in Walnut Creek. After much deliberation have decided to narrow my search for a home down to orinda as it has the best schools. My question is what are the best, good, OK, and bad neighborhoods in orinda. I suppose even a shack in orinda is worth quite a bit but I do not want to pay through the nose and end up in the wrong neighborhood. Any help from locals /knowledgeable people will be much appreciated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 08:55 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
There are no bad neighborhoods in Orinda. Your choice in neighborhoods depend on if you want to live up in the hills off of windy roads with a lot of privacy but not really walkable...or in a more flat landscape in more of a suburban/neighborhood type setting where kids might be able to play in the street.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,823 times
I agree, there are no really bad neighborhoods in Orinda and the home prices reflect that! If you find the pricing a little steep you may also want to look at the Danville/San Ramon area. I think the schools are pretty good down there.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM

37 posts, read 97,834 times
There are no bad neighborhoods in Orinda. Also keep in mind that the schools in Moraga and Lafayette are equally as good. This area is nicknamed "Lamorinda" and is full of top-rated schools, all of which are virtually identical to each other as far as test scores, student population, parent involvement, and programs offered (very slight differences exist). So, when looking for a home in Orinda, should you come across a residence in Moraga or Lafayette you also like that might be more in your price range, don't simply turn your back on it because it's not Orinda. School rankings have minor fluctuations every few years, so if Orinda is on top now, Moraga could creep back on top in 5 years. Same with Lafayette. The schools' API scores in that area are all very similar. One thing to also keep in mind is the high school your children go to is really of more importance than the elem. schools (because of the college prep aspect). Acalanes (Lafayette), Campolindo (Moraga), and Miramonte (Orinda) are all fantastic. Campolindo is actually ranked slightly higher than Miramonte, but again, if you do your research you will realize that those slight differences in scores really mean very little. You can't go wrong anywhere in that area.... Orinda is great, but the other two towns are also. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland