Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
One of the things I don't quite understand is this: why do some people think San Francisco is too cold? Could it be because of the wind? SF is not Alaska or Minnesota so I'm wondering how could it be cold? Can anyone please clarify this? I'm curious.
By 'cold' they don't mean colder than AK or MN...they mean that it never really gets hot. Summers are by no means any sort of 'coldest winter' (despite the quote that Mark Twain didn't really say), but SF is one of the very few places where you may have to wear a jacket in summer. The rest of the year isn't much warmer, if at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Well it is the rainy season. The fog season starts in summer. So it will be cold rain followed by cool fog-
I don't know about the summer fog, I remember several mornings in Concord when it was so foggy you could not see your feet and crossing a street on the way to school became an adventure.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I don't know about the summer fog, I remember several mornings in Concord when it was so foggy you could not see your feet and crossing a street on the way to school became an adventure.
Oh for sure, but that's a totally different fog than the one SF is famous for. The CA coast gets coastal stratus ("marine layer") that comes in off the ocean, primarily in the summertime, and extends a bit inland. It's not usually ground-hugging but rather a few hundred feet off the ground, and it blows in with a wind. This marine layer rarely gets all the way out to Concord, which is why Concord is generally sunny every day during the dry season, while SF is not.

In the winter, when there is a clear weather pattern, inland areas get traditional, old fashioned fog as everyone knows it, due to radiational cooling (i.e. it cools down at night) and the air reaches the dew point and forms fog. This is most prevalent in the Central Valley but can creepy through the Sacramento River Delta into Pittsburg, Concord, and sometimes down into Walnut Creek, Danville, etc. But on those days, SF and the coast are often gloriously sunny and much warmer. Fortunately, this winter inland fog pattern is more sporadic than the summer marine layer, because in the winter, we don't always have clear weather patterns like we do in the summer.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 AM

12 posts, read 19,227 times
Obviously weather preference is a matter of option, but I actually really don't like the weather in San Fransisco. First of all, its too foggy- that creeps me out, I often feel like I'm in a horror film. Also, every time I visit (I've gone at several different times in the year), the weather is very blah and a bit chilly. I personally prefer warmer weather where you don't always have to carry a jacket around. If its not going to be warm, I'd at least prefer a variety of weather instead of the same old slightly chilly feel. Then again I haven't lived there over a long period of time so I could be interpreting the weather incorrectly.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephmi View Post
Obviously weather preference is a matter of option, but I actually really don't like the weather in San Fransisco. First of all, its too foggy- that creeps me out, I often feel like I'm in a horror film. Also, every time I visit (I've gone at several different times in the year), the weather is very blah and a bit chilly. I personally prefer warmer weather where you don't always have to carry a jacket around. If its not going to be warm, I'd at least prefer a variety of weather instead of the same old slightly chilly feel. Then again I haven't lived there over a long period of time so I could be interpreting the weather incorrectly.
If you live here for a long time it will be far worse! I liked the horror film analogy! Hehe..this is so true..Mount Sutro on a foggy day is the perfect setting for horror movies...also the dim lights in the fog on a dark street...

Old 08-20-2010, 01:21 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
I remember reading a travel guide from the AAA Auto Club several years ago and in that guidebook it said that San Francisco weather is not noted for its extremes but for its consistency. Temperatures usually don't drop below 40 or go above 80 and this is SF proper. So for those that don't like to sweat, SF is one of the best places to be.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
I remember reading a travel guide from the AAA Auto Club several years ago and in that guidebook it said that San Francisco weather is not noted for its extremes but for its consistency. Temperatures usually don't drop below 40 or go above 80 and this is SF proper. So for those that don't like to sweat, SF is one of the best places to be.
I actually like the weather in SF and the Bay Area in general, because I am really sensitive to humidity. I've lived in Asia, the US East Coast, so I know what humidity is, and it's pretty rotten to walk outside and have your hair all dripping wet with sweat in under an hour!

Old 08-20-2010, 02:23 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
One of the things I don't quite understand is this: why do some people think San Francisco is too cold? Could it be because of the wind? SF is not Alaska or Minnesota so I'm wondering how could it be cold? Can anyone please clarify this? I'm curious.

Depends on where you live SF also. Sunset is a wall of fog while the Embarcadero is sunny. Which part of SF are we talking about?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:39 PM

377 posts, read 1,082,541 times
1. Los Angeles and San Diego region
2. Hawaii area
3. Dry part of Florida
4. New York City (when dry)
5. Buffalo (especally when you want snow)
6. SF Bay

Old 08-24-2010, 12:16 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Finally a nice a warm sunny day in SF...This is the first one of 2010 and there will be another one tomorrow. Although 2 days of nice weather out of the 8 months this year seems like a cruel joke but still enjoying it as long as it lasts. The fog will be back with vengeance later in the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland