Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
And SF really isn't a big city in the league of the other ones he listed. On some other post, someone who moved from LA to SF was initially shocked about how SF (besides the FiDi) didn't really resemble a city, it was more of a collection of midwestern-looking neighborhoods. That description is the most accurate I've seen.
Of all people to judge whether or not San Francisco resembles a "real city", someone from LA has a lot of nerve. Just like SF, LA resembles a series of small towns but instead of densely packed rowhouses in between, LA has miles and miles of bland suburban sprawl. Plus LA has nothing on the level of SF's Union Square/Financial District to act as a true central downtown.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:21 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
You cannot compare the homeless masses in SF to the random homeless person you see in LA...especially major commercial shopping areas like Union Square vs. Westwood Village, Pasadena, Fairfax, or Santa Monica.
Random homeless person? That's an awfully large collection of random homeless people I see every single time I visit Palisades Park in Santa Monica or Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:02 PM

18 posts, read 89,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Random homeless person? That's an awfully large collection of random homeless people I see every single time I visit Palisades Park in Santa Monica or Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena.
Umm, the homeless problem is nowhere near the level of San Francisco down in SoCal.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,987 times
Jesus people on this forum act as if LA is God's gift to the world. LA more of a "big city" feel than SF? My ass. It's like one huge suburb...SF is dense, compact, urban, walkable, bustling.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:00 PM

206 posts, read 416,665 times
Agree, as a former Bay area person living in L.A. S.F feels like a city, L.A is just one big sprawled out concrete jungle.

Now I love L.A and I love the bay area too, but as a city, S.F feels more like a city. L.A is just sprawled out and there is no central area .

Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 PM

263 posts, read 529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
And SF really isn't a big city in the league of the other ones he listed. On some other post, someone who moved from LA to SF was initially shocked about how SF (besides the FiDi) didn't really resemble a city, it was more of a collection of midwestern-looking neighborhoods. That description is the most accurate I've seen.
Wait, so let me get this straight. San Francisco doesn't resemble a city, but LA does? WOW.

San Francisco has the second highest population density in the country. There are no parts of the city that look like a midwestern neighborhood. There are people walking the streets, cabs everywhere, bikes, skateboards, buses, streetcars, etc etc.

LA is a collection of spread out suburbs. It looks a lot like a midwestern neighborhood with the addition of nicer weather and palm trees. The public transit is a joke and everyone drives everywhere. The city is filled with strip malls and parking lots.

Which one is more like a city again? Some people on this board are truly clueless.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:44 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
I love LA for what it is. But I have to agree with other posters, SF is much more of a traditional big city with the amenities, transport, street-scape, ect.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:34 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USEU9 View Post
Why is a city with such high taxes, and a relatively low population so filthy?

Also run down, dingy, smelly, dangeous and run by the homeless.

I've travelled a lot, moved here from La Jolla, and this is not a sophisticated city at all.

And for the love of God; the weather here is awful. I miss the "sexy" hot summers in SoCal. Sick of the nasty weather here and wearing a light jacket in the summer. Yuck.

This place is not fabulous at all.

(and I like cities... I've been to New York, Paris, London, Barcelona, and this tasteless city is a joke compared to those)

I miss La jolla so much
Like any city, San Francisco is what you make it. If you don't have the resources, the depth, the versatility, or the know-how to avail yourself of the many aspects of this great city that make it so popular, then that reflects on YOUR shortcomings, not on the city of San Francisco.

San Francisco is a premier city...and don't you forget it either.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 PM

11 posts, read 58,857 times
Some parts of SF are a dump, but my friends grew up in some of the nicer areas of San FranPsycho...and I love it.

Of course, San Diego is better.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Closed for review (most likely permanently)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland