Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,229 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are moving from Northwest to CA. Work place is in San Jose. And we are looking for good apartments ( prefereably 2B) in San Jose, Sunnyvale,SantaClara, Cupertino areas. The rents are really high. ( between 1600-2000+ for 1,2B). Can anyone suggest good communities with reasonable rent. Would appreciate quick response as we are moving on monday and will be searching immediately.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:25 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
You didn't choose a great time to move here, rents are always high but they've been rising even higher because of hiring in the tech sector. I would recommend just finding something close to your work and getting a 1-year lease in case it goes higher. There isn't really any big apartment complex that's better than the others, but I would just recommend to avoid Archstone. Overpriced apartments and underpaid staff.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:56 AM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avangi View Post
Hi, We are moving from Northwest to CA. Work place is in San Jose. And we are looking for good apartments ( prefereably 2B) in San Jose, Sunnyvale,SantaClara, Cupertino areas. The rents are really high. ( between 1600-2000+ for 1,2B). Can anyone suggest good communities with reasonable rent. Would appreciate quick response as we are moving on monday and will be searching immediately.

thanks!
Just avoid east San Jose.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,233 times
Check craigslist for housing in your price range and in the specific areas you want (by clicking the neighborhood tab). There are many landlords whose tenants move out completely, and then they list their places for immediate occupancy.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:23 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
The towns of Milpitas and Fremont might have cheaper rent and within commuting distance of San Jose and they're pretty nice places.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 25,789 times
Definitely keep looking around. I agree with sonarrat, the rents are getting higher and higher.

I'm not sure what your salary is, but ask the leasing offices about Below Market Rate (BMR) rates. I didn't learn about these until I first moved out here a year and a half ago. The BMR rates are essentially lower rental rates that are provided if you are below a certain income threshold. Trust me, this doesn't mean you'll get stuck in a dump. When I first moved out here, I thought I was making a comfortable salary compared to my old job in the Midwest, but out here, what I thought was a great salary actually qualified me for a BMR rate at a nice 1BD apartment in downtown San Jose at a rate about $300 lower per month than the "published" rent. The apartment was only about 10 years old and just three blocks from San Pedro square with some great bars and restaurants.

Best of luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose