Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 10,605 times

Advertisements

I am facing the same situation with a car I just bought and the sellers agreed to have the car smogged before I bought it. They brought back two smog tests: The first said the test failed and three hours later the car passed smog. I went down to the local auto shop that performed the tests and was told by the owner that the car's diagnositic readings didn't not communicate properly at first with the smog inspection's computer software (or something like this). I didn't understand the whole thing, but he reassured me that it did pass and that it was a great little car....even went as far to tell me he would buy it himself if he was looking to buy!! I no sooner drove that car home (around the corner and up the street) the check engine light went on! I made an appointment with another auto shop in town to have it inspected the next day and there were 11 faults discovered. They cleared the car's system of these readings (however that is done) and I was told to come back in a couple of days to read the engine system again! Now mind you, all of those 11 faults had to do with the car's emissions system. Two days later I went back and the check engine light had come back on in the meantime.....They ran a test again and 7 faults came back all having to do with emissions...like the o2 sensors, the evap system (had a huge leak in it), etc. The nice mechanic told me to go home and call the Department of Automotive Repairs and make a complaint because there was no way this car would have ever passed smog without out some type of "assistance". I have been working with the DAR and they have been very helpful and supportive. I got another diagnostic from a CA State Licensed Referee Smog Station and they couldn't even get the diagnostic system in the car to read...mind you the engine light in on and I have only put 81 miles on the car at this point! To the guy in the above post who says just drive it and ignore the check engine light...I am driving a German car that specifically outlines in the Handbook to NOT drive continually with a lighted check engine light due to potential damage being done to the cadalitic converter. That's all I need is a blown up engine and a fake smog certification with idiot sellers who thought that they got away with the whole thing. "AS IS" sale still has an implied "warranty" which I understand to mean that they represented to me that the car had smogged and that it was in the condition they indicated in the CL add as well as verbally to me. IT WAS NOT and as soon as the investigation is over with the DAR I am going to get the file on this whole thing and take the sellers to small claims court. I want to bypass the blame game and the denials that will come from accusing them outside of court. They did not perform and I did...they got paid for not performing and I am paying a steep price for paying them what they were asking for the car and dilligiently following through with my part in the deal. If any of you need help with a claim or a complaint regarding a similar situation you can hit me back up here and perhaps we can get in touch so that I can give you the information I have gotten and learned over the past two weeks! Good luck and sellers....BEWARE! These buyers are not as stupid as we might look!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
I thought in California that a car had to pass smog and it was the seller's responsibility?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I was just about to say the same thing. The corrupt shop can be fined thousands of dollars and possibly face jail for performing an illegal smog check and the technician who actually performed the smog check would most likely lose his smog license.

When it comes to many types of repair issues that arise after an "as-is" used car purchase, there's often not much you can do.

When the problem involves an illegal smog check though, you should have quite a bit of legal recourse.

If you're not worried about retaliation, you may want to threaten the seller that you'll be contacting the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair about the illegal smog check that was performed if they don't refund your money and take back the car. If he doesn't want his dad to get into some serious legal trouble, he may go for this.

Definitely contact the BAR as recommended by ferretkona. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent somebody out to the shop within a day or two! They usually take this stuff pretty seriously. FYI, I work in the automotive business and am pretty familiar with smog laws.
Correct in going to the DMV, BAR and so on.

Do not threaten the seller in the manner stated above, that is called extortion and is a felony. The seller could do as you ask because you threatened them and then turn you in. The fact that they did something wrong has nothing to do with you using extortion to obtain money from them because that is exactly what you'd be doing.

The law provides you with recourse the resolve your problem, follow it. Once you tie the return of your money to the threat you will turn them into the DMV/BAR you lose.

In matters of things like this, never compromise yourself because when you do, you are as complicit in violating a law as the other party. It isn't worth it.

What you can say is that you think they've defrauded you and the State of California and you want your money back. In that way you haven't said you'll do anything if they don't refund your money but they will know your intentions. You do run the risk of getting into a real hassle since there are now several people involved who could face prison time if convicted and at the very least, lose their license to perform smog checks along with an investigation into all other aspects of their business. These are shady people and seriously think about what could happen by contacting them further.

If the BAR contacts them, they will probably fall over themselves to refund your money.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I thought in California that a car had to pass smog and it was the seller's responsibility?

Yep, that's true. However, in this case, the seller has provided a smog certificate that the buyer says is fraudulent.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Correct in going to the DMV, BAR and so on.

Do not threaten the seller in the manner stated above, that is called extortion and is a felony. The seller could do as you ask because you threatened them and then turn you in. The fact that they did something wrong has nothing to do with you using extortion to obtain money from them because that is exactly what you'd be doing.
Reporting fraud and a business faking smog certificates is felonious extortion?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Reporting fraud and a business faking smog certificates is felonious extortion?
No, "threaten the seller that you'll be contacting the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair about the illegal smog check that was performed if they don't refund your money and take back the car." is felonious extortion. (i.e., "if you don't give me my money back, then ...").

Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
No, "threaten the seller that you'll be contacting the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair about the illegal smog check that was performed if they don't refund your money and take back the car." is felonious extortion. (i.e., "if you don't give me my money back, then ...").
So, saying you're gonna report a crime is felonious extortion.
You're not threatening criminal behavior unto to the seller, you're threatening to report his criminal behavior.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
This should be a lesson to everyone to pay for their own mechanic's inspection and/or smog check before buying.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So, saying you're gonna report a crime is felonious extortion.
You're not threatening criminal behavior unto to the seller, you're threatening to report his criminal behavior.
threatening to report a crime if the person doesn't do what you want is a crime, yes.

Situation : "Hey lady, I just got a video on my iPhone of you keying that Ferrari over there. Of course, if you drop to your knees and take care of a little problem I have, I'll just erase it instead of calling the cops." Yup, that's a crime.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 10,369 times
According to California Smog Regulations, a smog check is the SELLERS responsibility. An "as-is" situation DOES NOT apply when it comes to a smog. Even if the car is sold AS IS it is STILL REQUIRED to have a legal smog check.

State law also says that if you do buy a car that failed a smog or "illegally" passed one, the buyer is entitled to fix the car and sue the seller for all smog related repairs.

[url=http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2537]Smog Information[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose