Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,342 times

Advertisements

We are moving to SJ bay area, I have 2 boys 6 & 7 yrs, my husband will be working at Campbell and I am a massage therapist. I need to find an area for good schools, also close to spas so I can work. I am not crazy for the suburban life I want to be close to whole foods yoga studios something in the middle. I live in Scottsdale Az and work in a great upscale gym, so I am trying to find something good. Any help will be amazing ..thanks!,,,,

Patricia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
What is your rental budget?
Or will you be purchasing a home? and if so, what's your budget for that?
It may sound rude to ask but it's a key issue when deciding where to live.

Los Gatos may be a good fit for you if you can afford it.
the Los Gatos CA Official Site!
It's an upscale community that is right on the eastern side of the Santa Cruz mountains.
It will situate your husband nicely for his commute and you may be able to find your kind of work in Los Gatos (quite a few spas) or in Santa Cruz county (on the coast) which is roughly 30 minutes from down town Los Gatos.
There's a Whole Foods in Los Gatos.
I don't know about the schools but i imagine that they're good.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
JaiJai loves Los Gatos, but it's the most expensive town in an already expensive area - we'd need to know your budget before we can really comment.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
JaiJai loves Los Gatos, but it's the most expensive town in an already expensive area - we'd need to know your budget before we can really comment.
It's not that i love it but i do like it enough.
It's just that if i had to live on the San Jose side of the S.C. mountains because i worked over there, i'd choose Los Gatos because it's the closest that one can be to the coast while at the same time providing a sane commute to San Jose and vicinity.
Also, the o.p. indicated that she's not enthusiastic about living a suburban life. I'm not sure if that means that she wants a more urban scene or a more rural one.
Again, if she can afford it, living in one of the neighborhoods within walking distance of down town Los Gatos will spare her from what i think she wants to avoid in terms of living in a "bedroom" type community and if she wants a more rural situation, there are those opportunities in the mountains.
The other possibility is Scotts Valley. That's in Santa Cruz county Pavlovich and it's a very quick drive to Santa Cruz and other coastal communities in Santa Cruz county.
That would allow them to live on the ocean side of the S.C. mountains and though her husband would still have to commute over HWY17, Scotts Valley is much better situated for that commute than other towns in S.C. county.
She might prefer that over the suburban sprawl on the San Jose side.
Her husband however may not as he'll be the one driving over 17 every day.
Pavlovich, that commute though is worth it too many who want to be nearer to the coast and who don't want to live in the San Jose area and who don't want to live a suburban life.
It just depends on your financial capacity and your husbands commuting tolerance.

Last edited by jaijai; 01-24-2012 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 08:03 PM

We are planning to rent aprox $3500 maybe $3,800, I dont know how much we can get with that!! .
But I agree I like more urban than rural, also I need to be where people love to have massages, So I want a happy middle point for my hubby me and kids ( basically good schools). Thanks for responding, I will go in March to look for areas, but I need to have an idea where to start. Its difficult to make a desicion when u dont live in the are.
I do appreciate all the info i can get.
PAtricia

Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 PM

These links are to craigslist (South Bay).
Just to give you a sense of rental prices i narrowed the listings down and typed in Los Gatos and then Campbell.

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds "los gatos " - craigslist

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds "campbell " - craigslist

Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Thank you so much

Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlovich13 View Post
Thank you so much
De nada.
If it looks affordable and being relatively close to the coast is a good thing for you and your family, do check out Los Gatos.
Good luck.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM

14 posts, read 30,538 times
check out Almaden valley too, very good schools, my kids 6 and 5 yrs old study there. Check near the area of Graystone and Williams schools which are very good schools and they feed into BretHarte Middle school and Leland High. Don't know if you are planning on staying here till the kids go to high school but just letting you know! Campbell is easy commute from here on hwy85. We have Whole Foods on almaden expwy and few spas and good gyms (AVAC for one) out here. We love staying close to moutains and going hiking almost every weekend!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Thanks for all the info!!! I am ready for this new journey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose